It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Officer All I Want Your I.D. Your Papers Get Out of My County

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

This is what happens when freedom is abandoned for security. Two guys are walking across the country and they are needlessly harassed by the police for exercising their 1st Amendment rights.

Is this right? Is this what our society needs? Two guys walking across the country get this kind of treatment?

What say you ATS?

I'm against this sort of harassment and I think that the people have the duty to stand up for their rights. The police don't have the right to ask you for an ID without probable cause.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Effingham, Illinois! [snip] Yeah!
edit on 18-8-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CryHavoc

Ironically it is in a liberal state right? Is that what you are getting at?

It comes as no surprise to me that liberals with their laws behave this way.

It also comes as no surprise to me that there is no news link added. Research much? Or do you just post crap to inflame?
edit on 18-8-2013 by Diisenchanted because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diisenchanted

It also comes as no surprise to me that there is no news link added. Research much? Or do you just post crap to inflame?

You didn't watch the video, I take it.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
two idiots trying to start s@@t.
look i'm all for standing up for your rights.but when you put on orange jump suits and go round waving signs, trying to draw attention to your self, you deserve all the attention you get. and of ofcouse your gonna get the attention of johnny law.

now if they were actually escaped cons who decide to pull a off a fast one by pretending to be protesting harassment of law enforcement, and caused harm to someone. all those who are jumping up yelling blanking cops, would be screaming for the cops heads for not doing their jobs.

this is just two dumb a@@es being smart alecks, thinking they are making a difference. which they are, just making it harder on the rest of us, who don't confront the law and want to be left alone. the more people do this stupid stuff the more the cops are gonna give us sh@@.

edit on 18-8-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I'm the first to be maddened by dbag cops
That is not the case here.

The guys doing the filming are obviously NOT Libertarians. They are trolls merely acting like it. They are hoping this trend catches on and more people, even libertarians, start doing it. This is the very definition of useful idiots.

These guys are NOT constitutionalists. They are agitators of the most disgusting kind.

Don't let yourself be trolled by them and get all emotional.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diisenchanted

Reaction to sliding into a police state isn't a liberal or a conservative thing. Both sides have issues they're pushing for harsher penalties on, and the compromise is to just have harsher penalties for everything. That way each side gets what they want.
edit on 18-8-2013 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
They have to at least be cooperative and give them a name. They would be perfectly content giving their name to any stranger that approaches them out of curiosity, why not just give the officer your name. It would allos them to do a warrant check and move on. That's all. These guys are just intentionally making these encounters long and drawn out for their own agenda. The one officer just asked for their name not ID, and they still make a stink. When you intentionally waste an officers time, the chance of police brutality goes up. Say no to the ID, but at least give them your name.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
No where in this video is their any context provided. All though there was a bit of context when you see the dude loitering with black net stalkings covering his head.

I can't say it enough these are agitating slime balls trying to provoke a response: not from the officers but from the useful idiot morons watching it and getting all "SEE THIS IS PROOF OF THE POLICE STATE!"

The police state does exist; and these guys are giving a reason for semi-rational seople to say they are deliberately annoying and need to be dealt with. And the sheople will equate these guys to the movement demanding individual responsibility. Trying to agitate isn't exercising individual liberty, it's practicing individual irresponsibility.

We need less cops; in order for that to happen individuals in our society need to start exercising responsibility.

I have as much respect for these guys as I do someone healthy who's been on stamps for five years.

They have a right to free speech, and so do I. These guys are not the solution they are the excuse for the normalization period.

The thing these slime balls don't want you to do is ignore their agitation of you, I recommend the people with half a brain and wish not to be the useful idiots do just that.
edit on 18-8-2013 by GenerationGap because: Yup

edit on 18-8-2013 by GenerationGap because: yup again.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
There're public places where you cannot film because of terrorist concerns. And I think loitering and/or overnight sleeping and/or feeding the homeless and/or panhandling is also against the law in certain places. So I'd want to see the context behind these videos to clarify my thoughts.

On the surface of things, it does make you wonder. Everytime a new law is made it seems like people become familiar with it and then soon justify it and make excuses for it. This is why it's harder to reverse a law once it's solidly in place than it's to craft it and get it passed initially.
edit on 18-8-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
There're public places where you cannot film because of terrorist concerns. And I think loitering and/or overnight sleeping and/or feeding the homeless and/or panhandling is also against the law in certain places. So I'd want to see the context behind these videos to clarify my thoughts.

On the surface of things, it does make you wonder. Everytime a new law is made it seems like people become familiar with it and then soon justify it and make excuses for it. It's a lot harder to reverse a law once it's solidly in place than ti's to craft it and get it passed.
edit on 18-8-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

did you not see the guy in the orange jump suit on, with the spit mask over his head.
what color do most jails use for their jump suits. orange or some other bright color.
if you saw some one walking down the road or standing on a street corner wearing something like that would you just blow it off or would you look to see if there was a leo around watching them. and if you didn't see one would you call the cops or like i said just blow it off.

no these guys are going out of their way to draw attention to themselves, hoping the cops show up and start harassing them. so they can film it. and try to make it look like a police state, which it is not. at least not yet.

a police state is where your just standing on the corner waiting to cross and the cop pulls up and starts harassing you or pulls you out of line some where. or like NYC stop and frisk.

these cops are just responding to calls, you notice that they never asked the cops why they wanted to see their id's. they more than likely edited that part out where the cops say they got a call. the only one where they showed it was the state trooper in effingham, where he said they got a call about a guy in a orange jump suit.

edit on 19-8-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The proper response when asked for id: demand to see the badge, name, number and id of the officer.

Know your rights or lose them. We hire police. We pay their salary. They are OUR servants. NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!

Live FREE!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Yes the above video is a bit of an extreme example, but, in everyday situations, what is the first thing a cop asks for when a contact is made? Your ID.

If you aren't in the middle of committing a crime, and a cop asks you for your ID, it means that they don't have the right to demand it, because they don't have probable cause.

When in this situation, you have to imagine you are playing a verbal chess game with the police officer. Remain calm, always be polite, never threaten anything, politely refuse any requests for searches, refuse any and all requests for ID, and insist on being allowed to continue on your way. I have found that if they ask you why you are refusing to give them an ID, the proper response is that the 4th Amendment to the United States Constitution protects your personal papers and effects from unreasonable searches and seizures.

It is hard to remain calm, but in doing so, you are robbing the police officer of any reasonable suspicion or probable cause to forcibly search your person. To add quasi-insult to injury, thank the cop often for his cooperation in observing your constitutional rights, his dedication to protecting the public good, and his service to the community.

If in the event the officer is belligerent, or hostile, remain calm and request a supervisor be called.

These are your rights we are dealing with, and even wearing a net over your head, or an orange jumpsuit isn't a crime in this country. Provocative yes, illegal, no.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I always carry ID. I have no problem allowing a police officer the privilege of viewing my ID so they can tell their grand children they met me once.
It's all about attitude. Keep smiling and be friendly to the officer and they will return the courtesy.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Well the thing is, if you are not a citizen but you are in the country you are required to carry your i.d. on you at all times. If you don't have i.d. proving you are an American citizen, you could be a Canadian breaking the law by not carrying your i.d. on you. It is a problematic issue indeed.

Sal

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
This reminds me of a joke I know." Hee-Hoo lived in a glass house....and made a specticle of himself" These two ( although I agree with the police state) Are asking to be harassed. Hell I know their names...Dumb & Dumber. But i dont get being stopped on an two lane road with zilch around.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Go geet, geet out mar town boy.
you cant make it up. The good old Sherriff running people out of town, lol.

Honestly most the cops I see from the US are gung ho bullies who know very little of ther own law but expect people to cower in awe and total respect before em.

Take the gun off them and issue them with a flower that sprays water, a buzzer on there hand which shocks when you shake it size 40 red patent leather shoes and a big red nose on their face.

CLOWNS.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

This is off of the ACLU web site about recording public officials in public places!

Using a Video Recorder (Including Cell Phones) With Audio Capacity

You have a right to capture images in public places, but you don't always have a right to record what people say. Pennsylvania's Wiretap Law makes it illegal to record private conversations - which can include conversations in public places - without the consent of all parties to the conversation. Conversations with police in the course of their duties are not private conversations, but many other things you may record on a public street are.

You have the right to videotape and audiotape police officers performing official duties in public. It is not a violation of the Pennsylvania Wiretap Law to do so. That means you can record an officer during a traffic stop, during an interrogation, or while he or she is making an arrest.

I don't understand why so many of you seem to believe these men are being stupid or doing something wrong!
It is in all of our best interest to make sure that our rights are not forgotten, misinterpreted or eliminated!
IMO we have already given up too much and there is nothing wrong with people going around and showing
those in uniform that they work for the people and are not just thugs with badges!
That they are supposed to treat us with respect! In this day and age I feel as if most police think they are
just about above reproach as well as the laws they themselves are supposed to enforce!
They should be insuring that they as well as those they work with do not violate our constitutional rights even if
it means they have to put up with a lot!

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Yea. I agree with a lot of other posters here and I am as liberal as they come. The video was so badly cut that it didn't even make the weirdo's look good. I saw at least one good officer doing his job properly and tolerating complete morons on a street corner that were expressing their right to be retarded. Also, those two bums walked up to a police car and had the NERVE to ask the officer "what can I do for ya?" They were looking for a reaction and confrontation.

Why would people intentionally behave like this? For Youtube likes. That stupid video is monetized. And if the OP had gone to the link posted in the Youtube "more" section, s/he would have been led to a site that is NOTHING but one affiliate link to lawyer, one to a bail bondsmen, and the rest being blank links. A site that is hardly functional, poorly designed, uncredentialed, to which serves no purpose.

edit on 20-8-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I don't understand why so many of you seem to believe these men are being stupid or doing something wrong!

Why did they cut the video? We, as Americans, need BOTH sides of the story. Why should we take the word of two bums on a street that cut a video to pieces? So you are asking us to judge how these peoples rights were violated by using this video as evidence? This video is ridiculous and makes those two men look like buttholes. I am sure those officers could have cut a video and made something similar. As I see it, the men were behaving like douche nozzles.
edit on 20-8-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join