It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sakurajima Volcano Erupts in Japan: Largest Eruption in Decades Sends Ash Plume Thousands of Feet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Sakurajima Volcano Erupts in Japan: Largest Eruption in Decades Sends Ash Plume Thousands of Feet High
Nick Wiltgen Published: Aug 18, 2013, 0:55 PM EDT
www.weather.com...

Yikes. look at that plume!

Sakurajima, one of Japan's most active volcanoes, experienced one of its most powerful eruptions in decades Sunday, sending an ash plume thousands of feet into the air.

The volcano, located in the far southwestern part of Japan's mainland on the island of Kyushu, began to erupt at 4:31 p.m. local time Sunday (3:31 a.m. EDT U.S. time). The smoke plume eventually reached a height of 5,000 meters (approximately 16,000 feet), according to the Kagoshima Local Meteorological Observatory. Public broadcaster NHK reported it was the volcano's tallest ash plume since records began in 1955.
www.weather.com...

Just about as far away from Fukushima as one can get while still remaining in Japan.

I searched and didn't see this posted yet. If I am in error... sorry. If this isn't the appropriate forum... please move elsewhere.

edit on 8/18/2013 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo, added video

edit on 8/18/2013 by this_is_who_we_are because: added map

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

That poor town.

Mike

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
You know I can't help but feel someone is trying to send them poor fella's a cruel message...

So we got Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Radiation out the butt hole......all we need now is:

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rosinitiate
You know I can't help but feel someone is trying to send them poor fella's a cruel message...

So we got Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Radiation out the butt hole......all we need now is:

Destroyah gives Godzilla the smack down!

Meanwhile.... In the real world.

A close up of the eruption.
Be careful of the volume on this video.

Mike
edit on 18-8-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Just what this Country needs.

Man, Japan is so screwed. So.....

Is this affecting their already problematic Nuclear facilities? I cant take TEPCO's word for it.

S&F

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
Just about as far away from Fukushima as one can get while still remaining in Japan.

All joking aside.....

I'd be curious to see how the tectonic plates run through Japan. Is this eruption of the opposite side of the country a red harring of more to come?

For Japan, it's not like they get one tragedy at a time. Although volcanoes rarely have death toll counts like other natural disasters they can be scary and they can kill. My thoughts are with them.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Heartbreaking in the wake of so many disasters.
I never could fathom why someone would erect a city at the base of such
unpredictable beasts such as volcanos.

My thoughts go out to these people. Hopefully a bit of ash is the worst of it.

[eta] I happened upon an image of the initial explosion.

edit on 18-8-2013 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
So I found this:

And although to me it doesn't appear "connected" looking at this map I can't help but think that Japan is in a precarious location regarding the plates.

Another words, if the Eurasia Plate slid under both the Pacific and Philipine Plates wouldn't the entire country get sucked under the ocean. Like an Atlantis type #?

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

I'm not really the guy to ask.
Perhaps PuterMan, muzzy or TrueAmerican in the earthquake threads could help answer that for us.

edit on 8/18/2013 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

I'd be curious to see how the tectonic plates run through Japan. Is this eruption of the opposite side of the country a red harring of more to come?

It looks like the volcano is sitting right on top of the fault line that runs through the bottom of Japan.

This is from a volcano from a couple of years ago.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

So to be clear, it's the Yangze plate that the volcanoe sits on?

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Poor Japan just can't catch a break at all. Thoughts are with them

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The Japan Meteorological Agency reports a 3.6 quake in the Fukushima Prefecture. Depth - 10km.

click thumbnail for screenshot

www.jma.go.jp...

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
The Japan Meteorological Agency reports a 3.6 quake in the Fukushima Prefecture. Depth - 10km.

click thumbnail for screenshot

www.jma.go.jp...

SEE! SEE!

For Japan, it's not like they get one tragedy at a time. Although volcanoes rarely have death toll counts like other natural disasters they can be scary and they can kill. My thoughts are with them.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I'm also wondering if this could be a harbinger of future earthquakes. I don't know the country's history of volcano & subsequent earthquakes, so until one of the Quake Watch folks come in to clarify, it's anyone's guess.

So I found this:

And although to me it doesn't appear "connected" looking at this map I can't help but think that Japan is in a precarious location regarding the plates.

Another words, if the Eurasia Plate slid under both the Pacific and Philipine Plates wouldn't the entire country get sucked under the ocean. Like an Atlantis type #?

o.O I could have sworn the Phillipine & Pacific plates subduct under the Eurasian plate, not the other way around.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
one thing i'll say.
most of those cars plowing through that ash,
wont be running very long..learned that lesson from st. helens.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
While it is cool to watch, it is also the 500th time this year that this happened....
Source

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

damn!!!
that mountain is huffin and puffin!!

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

reply to post by buster2010

So to be clear, it's the Yangze plate that the volcanoe sits on?

By the looks of it yes.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by autopat51

I am in Washington too, wondering what you would do if St. Helens acted up as often as this volcano does?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join