Your Thoughts Can Release Abilities beyond Normal Limits

page: 1
7

log in

join

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Very good read from Scientific American:

www.scientificamerican.com...





MOD NOTE:
Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Sun Aug 18 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)




posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RadarOReilly
 


can you post a description or something? im fairly certain you are required to post more than one line and a link



posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RadarOReilly
 


It looks like an interesting article -


I believe that in psychology this phenomenon is called the Pygmalion effect .

I must read on......



posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Our cognitive and physical abilities are in general limited, but our conceptions of the nature and extent of those limits may need revising. In many cases, thinking that we are limited is itself a limiting factor. There is accumulating evidence that suggests that our thoughts are often capable of extending our cognitive and physical limits.


This is akin to what many who believe in "positive thinking", hypnosis, and metaphysics have said for many many years. Now we know they are at least on the right track.
edit on 8/18/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I'm not going to write a summary of the article; the thread title is concise and the fact that it's a journal article from SA will either prompt one to read it or be lost on those non-academic/non-science world nerds.

I will say that I find the placebo portion particularly interesting in light of findings from about three years ago showing that placebo still works even when someone knows that they're receiving placebo. (Source: www.plosone.org... )


Originally posted by RadarOReilly
Very good read from Scientific American:

www.scientificamerican.com...





MOD NOTE:
Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Sun Aug 18 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadarOReilly
I'm not going to write a summary of the article; the thread title is concise and the fact that it's a journal article from SA will either prompt one to read it or be lost on those non-academic/non-science world nerds.

I will say that I find the placebo portion particularly interesting in light of findings from about three years ago showing that placebo still works even when someone knows that they're receiving placebo. (Source: www.plosone.org... )


Originally posted by RadarOReilly
Very good read from Scientific American:

www.scientificamerican.com...

Yeah, "F" the mods and the rules of this website !! Let's all just do whatever we want. Mutiny!!!



MOD NOTE:
Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Sun Aug 18 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
If you start with the idea that conscious energy is the original building block of all physical reality, then everything can be seen as a placebo, and we can then start to create with our minds rather than through repeated (trial and error) science experiments.

This type of mind-creation is much harder to explain and quantify than to perform, whereas traditional science is much harder/more complex to perform than to explain. The latter (science) being increasingly taxing/expensive, the former (YCYOR) being increasingly obscure to basic logic.

One day scientists and new-agers alike will realize that he key to reality is a mixture of analysis and simple knowing/feeling.



posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing.

I know of placebo and nocebo.

Some people believe that a "sick mind" means a sick body. I think there's truth in it.
I don't have evidence, (might have read it somewhere but can't remember) but I think that:

Person A is ill.
Person B is ill.

Person A thinks he will die. Body responds by "getting ready to die".
Person B thinks he will survive. Body responds by "combating the illness".

Take depression, my theory is that it's adaptive, not a illness. It is a fact that you lose brain cells. My theory of it is that the body thinks "this isn't working, we need a blank state or we need to destruct". I can continue my theory but I won't.

I also think liars and actors are so convincing because they truly believe themselves. If your body knows you are lying it will respond by becoming nervous. If your body thinks that you are telling the truth you are not going to respond by becoming nervous.

The mind is very interesting, I spend much of my time researching and trying to understand it.



posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RadarOReilly
 




The WILL is a Terrible thing to Waste......



posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ForbiddenDesire
Thanks for sharing.

I know of placebo and nocebo.

Some people believe that a "sick mind" means a sick body. I think there's truth in it.
I don't have evidence, (might have read it somewhere but can't remember) but I think that:

Person A is ill.
Person B is ill.

Person A thinks he will die. Body responds by "getting ready to die".
Person B thinks he will survive. Body responds by "combating the illness".

Take depression, my theory is that it's adaptive, not a illness. It is a fact that you lose brain cells. My theory of it is that the body thinks "this isn't working, we need a blank state or we need to destruct". I can continue my theory but I won't.

I also think liars and actors are so convincing because they truly believe themselves. If your body knows you are lying it will respond by becoming nervous. If your body thinks that you are telling the truth you are not going to respond by becoming nervous.

The mind is very interesting, I spend much of my time researching and trying to understand it.


Interesting comment. What's your field/background? I started out in a very specific field of pharmacokinetics, but ultimately switched to neuro where my main thrust has been the insula.



posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Well I'm no professional in any field. A student, who did two studies he didn't finish. One concerning safety in broad sense and the other one biomedical.

I'm just interested in things like psychology, sociology, biology, biochemicals among other subjects. All I know is from books and what's on the internet and of course from the studies I didn't finish. I use the internet to get the basic understanding and use the books from professionals in the field to get in depth.

My motivation between the safety study was to become a criminologist. I did that partly to understand myself.
The biomedical study I did because of my interest in hormones, like dopamine, endorphin and testosterone. I was indeed thinking of becoming a neuroscientist, if I remember correctly that was indeed possible.

Besides reading I experiment. On myself. On a humor social networking website. The participation on this forum is also partly a experiment.



posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ForbiddenDesire
Well I'm no professional in any field. A student, who did two studies he didn't finish. One concerning safety in broad sense and the other one biomedical.

I'm just interested in things like psychology, sociology, biology, biochemicals among other subjects. All I know is from books and what's on the internet and of course from the studies I didn't finish. I use the internet to get the basic understanding and use the books from professionals in the field to get in depth.

My motivation between the safety study was to become a criminologist. I did that partly to understand myself.
The biomedical study I did because of my interest in hormones, like dopamine, endorphin and testosterone. I was indeed thinking of becoming a neuroscientist, if I remember correctly that was indeed possible.

Besides reading I experiment. On myself. On a humor social networking website. The participation on this forum is also partly a experiment.


So what is the desire and why is it forbidden. Sorry just had to ask since we are talking neuro and psychology. Lol... The Bot





 
7

log in

join