It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if music was unique to planet Earth?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I'm thinking it's impossible to discuss this topic intelligently without at least some basic knowledge of music theory.

With that said.... the link below might be a good place to start learning.

Sympathetic Vibratory Physics... A Musical Universe

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikhailBakunin

Originally posted by TheWetCoast

Originally posted by aoxomoxoa
music is sound and vibration- universal constants. It would naturally exist everywhere
But would another intelligent species use it as a form of entertainment?

Did Jimi Hendrix use it for entertainment?

He created a whole 'nother religion with his sounds and vibrations...
so of course other intelligent species use it as a form of entertainment... to them it's a way of communication, worship, and sex

see?

Strippers are "entertainers". With Jimi we are talking transcendence or something. Anyway, the aliens liked Jimi Hendrix as they kept showing up when he played...

On several occasions during his career, UFOs just happened to show up while Jimi was giving a concert. During the last days of his life, he performed on the rim of an extinct volcano in Maui. Jimi played three 45-minute sets, says Henderson in his best-seller.

After each set, he retired to a special sacred Hopi Indian tent. Later, witnesses in Maui testified that they heard musical tones emanating from rocks and stones. UFOs were also sighted over the volcano by people who called in to a local radio show. A cameraman on the set said that he fell from his perch after seeing a UFO through his lens.

In the film Rainbow Bridge, Hendrix rattles on for several minutes about astral projection and the philosophy of the Space Brothers. He also tried to master the art of psychic healing, through color and sound. Fellow musician and songwriter, Curtis Knight, knew all about the episode involving the UFO in Maui. It was an odd-looking craft that glittered in the bright sunlight. Jimi felt certain the UFO had come down to put its spiritual stamp of approval on the show. He told me that he'd been emotionally and physically recharged by the experience.

During the course of our conversation, Curtis also revealed the fascinating details of the time a UFO landed in front of them and actually saved their lives.
rense.com...

edit on 19-8-2013 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
What if music was unique to planet Earth?...

That is like asking what if air was unique to Earth...

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by coastlinekid

A planet orbiting around another star would most likely have an atmosphere with a different composition. Which could mean that "air"(as we know it) IS unique to planet Earth.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Would aliens even have ears?Another life form might not need ears or could experience sound in a different way.

"In Music, vibrations producing Low Tones can be felt by body senses in the feet, legs & hips. The Middle Tones can be felt in the stomach, chest & arms, similarly the High Tones can be felt in the fingers, head and hair".

Source

Music for pleasure doesn't have to be an auditory only experience. The possibilities here are endless.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
Interesting question. As a long time musician and former music teacher, I thought I'd pass this along.

We used to think the drum was the worlds oldest instrument. But, in most circles these days...it is considered to be the human voice.

I'm jumping here...but in anticipation of some KIND of voice on some other planet in some other universe....Im presupposing that would count?

I suppose that it would, provided it was intentionally singing (or the ET version of singing anyway) as opposed to just grunting and gesturing or somesuch.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by coastlinekid

A planet orbiting around another star would most likely have an atmosphere with a different composition. Which could mean that "air"(as we know it) IS unique to planet Earth.

Which would mean that ET's in a different atmosphere, wouldn't hear the same thing we do in our atmosphere, even the same piece of music would sound different.

Sound travels through the air....if the air is a different composition, so will the way the sound waves travel through it.

That's assuming ET's can actually hear in the first place...a lot of the anecdotal reports suggest they are deaf, as they don't usually speak using sounds, they use what's described as a form of telepathy (maybe technological in nature though)..if they don't speak to each other using sounds made from their voices, they probably don't have a lot of use for hearing either.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Dont forget...hearing is not necessarily needed to appreciate music. Many deaf people enjoy concerts, dancing etc...as they can feel the beat.

Look at Beehovan! My opinion is that probably there is some form of felt-auditory sound or pulse...on other planets...that would qualify as "music".

And that is a tremendously wonderful and amazing thought as to what it would be. Great thread topic as well. Thanks...MS

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Has there ever been a contact/abduction report that includes music being played as part of the experience? I can't say that I've ever heard of a contact/abduction scenario described with music being mentioned as part of the experience.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWetCoast

Let me clarify, by "air" I meant an atmosphere with enough density to allow sound waves to travel...in terms of unique..my point is that the conditions for sound to travel thru the atmosphere of a percentage of planets is high...unless physics as we understand at this point is unique to earth which would make our understanding pretty poor...

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWetCoast

Then I am happy I was able to enjoy it, the way I do.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
There are some basic elements to music - pitch, rhythm, harmony, melody, structure, form, texture, etc.

Many of the elements of music are subjective which means there has to be someone listening to interpret those elements. Fundamentally, the key elements in music are the performer and a listener (although the performer could also be considered a listener as well).

Mathematics can be used to analyze the properties of music but for the most part is only useful to analyze harmonics, accoustics, ratios, etc... basically, the objective qualities of sound. With that being said, the ancient Greek philosophers held the belief that all of nature consists of harmony arising from mathematics but I think it's more accurate to say that mathematics is the quantification of those harmonies.

...the question raised by the OP can be answered with another question; "Is mathematics unique to the planet Earth?"

The answer is obviously "no" because mathematics is the quantification of nature itself. Our methodologies for quantifying nature may be unique but the fundamental aspects would be the same regardless.

Music is the same, if you define it as the expression and interpretation of the fundmental harmonies that exist in nature. Our methodologies for creating music might be unique, but music exists throughout nature and couldn't possibly be unique to the planet Earth.

edit on 27-8-2013 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join