It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enlightenment Isn't Found; It Is Created.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

Enlightenment Isn't Found; It Is Created.,

My understanding that enlightenment , wisdom, grace or whatever we call it is not found or earned or made...

it is a gift.

Yes, it the 'present' happening.
Does the present happening have to be found, earned or made? No - it is unavoidable and unimaginable so is missed by the mind. The mind is always concerned with 'what is not happening'.
The light (enlightenment) is right here but there seems to be a lot of apparent people looking elsewhere.

This video expands on what I have written in the last two posts.
edit on 14-11-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
In our hedonism, enlightenment is modernly thought of as naive enjoyment.

Practically all spiritual terms have lost meaning to me over the years.

I see too many foolish idiots claiming enlightenment to buy into the rubbish.

Sometimes joyful, sometimes in despair. That sounds more real to me.

No enlightenment here.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
never mind
edit on 113030p://bThursday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by KellyPrettyBear

Thanks for your replies KPB and others. I reserve my opinion on these matters. Typically most have differing opinions and mine is no different in that regard. I don't really feel a need to prove my point of view because I can't. Everyones journey is different to reach the same goal. Its less about right and wrong, more about the path.

So I bow… out.
edit on 14-11-2013 by intrptr because: change

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Or conversely a guide for how to behave. The "Be attitudes" is not a lesson in enlightenment. Its a lesson in behavior modification. Particularly in regards to self and others. Something we do for ourself and others.

Searching for "enlightenment' is not the primary goal.

The whole corpus of the Buddha's lessons is on how to attain enlightenment. Achieving Nirvana and freeing yourself from the Wheel of Samsara is what the Buddha considered enlightenment. It was the escape from suffering and desire: peace eternal. It is preposterous to think that in all of the Buddha's lessons his goal was anything but enlightenment.

The same goes for Ani the Scribe in Egypt. The Book of Coming Forth By Day is, certainly, a volume of theological texts and rituals, but, that is what the Egyptians considered enlightenment. To make it through the Duat and attain peace in the Fields of Osiris was enlightenment for the ancient Egyptians, it was what they truly sought to achieve, their purpose in living and dying.

Moses and Jesus I will give you. The Bible is pretty much just a tool for crowd control and manipulation of the mind against its will.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Life is one - it is not a 'group effort'.
The term 'enlightenment' refers to the realization of oneness so I have no idea who this 'group' consists of. Also when oneness is realized life is found to be no effort - because it is found that life is just happening and there is no one doing it and it is not happening to someone. The 'someone' who was suffering from life is seen to be non existent - just an illusion.
All that remains is aliveness.

Enlightenment refers to being enlightened.

'Realization' is simply becoming aware of something—whether it be oneness, twoness, or threeness, it doesn't matter—merely a change of mind, or a shift in tastes; what we "realize" is still nothing more than our own thoughts and inclinations.

Because of this, actual "oneness", "twoness" or "threeness" is not realized, but imagined, and used as a stop-gap to fill in the holes of one's understandings. They imagine it is a "truth" and label it so, despite there being no confirmation of this from anywhere outside of their own minds.

The 'someone' isn't seen to be non existent, but imagined to be non existent—the illusion of illusion. This is merely a shift in vocabulary, shift in metaphysics, shift in foundations of thought—but still amounts to no more than thought and imagination.

In those who claim they are enlightened, we see no change but a change in how they label themselves. They can never be different, they can only ever express themselves differently, wear different clothes, and sit like a monk. What they realize, what they are enlightened about, what they learn, is always self-taught, and therefore, imagined.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

NiNjABackflip
'Realization' is simply becoming aware of something

No - it is the realization of no thingness.

'Ego' is the belief in separate 'things'.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

A simple look in the dictionary might prove me correct. "No thingness", as a word and idea, is something you've become aware of.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

NiNjABackflip

A simple look in the dictionary might prove me correct. "No thingness", as a word and idea, is something you've become aware of.

I checked online and the definition of 'no thingness' is not 'something to be aware of'.

Please go and check out the definition of 'no thingness' and you will not have to make assumptions.

A simple look in the dictionary might prove me correct.

A simple look online 'might' prove you wrong.

I found this on wiki:

Grammatically, the word "nothing" is an indefinite pronoun, which means that it refers to something[citation needed]. One might argue that "nothing" is a concept, and since concepts are things, the concept of "nothing" itself is a thing.

en.wikipedia.org...

NiNjABackflip
"No thingness", as a word and idea, is something you've become aware of.

This backs up your position but it is under the heading - Language and logic - and this is a forum which discusses 'Philosophy and Metaphysics'.

However, "nothingness" has been treated as a serious subject worthy of research for a very long time. In philosophy, to avoid linguistic traps over the meaning of "nothing", a phrase such as not-being is often employed to unambiguously make clear what is being discussed.
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 17-11-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

A thing will only see things.
It is just a case of misidentification.

Is this moment a thing?
This moment is never anywhere else, words arising tell stories of other than this moment and an illusion of time and space arise - what is it that appears to live in that time and space? Is it not just an illusion living in an illusion?

What is present is what there is.
Is it possible to take the present apart and see what it is made of?

I think that is what quantum science is doing - they are finding that atoms are 99.9999% emptiness. A scientist once stated that 'Atoms are not things. They are only tendencies'-Heisenberg.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join