It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So after a zombie apocalypse how would you actually go about feeding yourself???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Food is not your first concern.

The 5 basics for survival are: -

Shelter
Water
Fire
Food
power

What you are going to need to do is find a place that is defend-able with lots of resources near by. You will need to find a source of water and you will need to build a sand / charcoal filter for the water.

You will need fire to purify the water and for heat.

Then you will need to either scavenge for food or learn how to hunt / fish.

Then you will need to think about how to generate power so you can start to build useful tools such as weapons / an escape vehicle / Communications device etc....

You will need to find people you can trust with your life and recruit them to your cause but not be too trusting that you effectively give up your security.

Armed with this you will have more of a chance to survive than most.

Peace.

korg.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I don't know what it's like in the US but as soon as you're in the countryside in Scotland you have an abundance of wild food available.

If you can make a simple trap from wire and possess a ferret,i am sure you have then in the US,a long body mammal similar to weasels,stoats and martens.Basically place wire snares at the exits of a rabbit warren then let the ferret go down another hole.

Ferrets are fast n viscious.Any rabbits will bolt flee headlong from the burrows and blindly into your snares.They breed like crazy and aren't bad eating at all.

Some fast dogs for hare coarseing as well.

Use nature,these creatures and many more have evolved over 100,000's of yeatrs to hunt down prey and they are 100 of times more effective than shotguns or crossbows.

So look to your rural traditions.I use ferreting and hare coarsing with dogs as they are traditional country skills where I'm from.

Have a look at the old rural skills ijn your neck of the woods,there's bound to be a tradition of using a semi tame predator or dogs to catch prey.

Another one in the UK would be Falconry and using Kites but that's a rich mans pursuit but you get the point i'm making

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Why does it have to be a zombie apocalypse?

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Btw,once you've escaped the city and find yourself needing to live off the land then do yourself a massive favour and gej a dog.A G shepard,collie or a lurcher tyge,a working/hunting dog cos it will save your life time and time again.

When it's broad daylight were at a disadvantage in built up of closed in terrain but once the sun's gone were effectively blind n deaf.

Our senses are pathetic next to any wild aninals ana we're incredibly vulnerable in the dark.I mean they believe man and the wolf first became allies becavse we shared our meat with it and it became our night time ears,eyes and sense of smell warning
the pack of danger long before it could pose a threat whereas the sabre tooth tiger would be on our arse before we even knew it was there.

In a country full of dangerous,crazed zombies that,incidently,stink to high heaven any man or small group without a dog or two are asking for it

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoParadigm

Because zombies, that's why.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I wouldn't prolong the misery, I would end my existence, meaning no more zombie problems.....

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Can't really argue with that.

Zombies do make the apocalypse a lot more exciting.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
A Mc zombie apocalypse burger with finger fries, and a hot blood shake, at your neatest Mc zombies.

I would say.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

I was considering doing that now maybe for my retirment. Just eat whatever I can find on the beach

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
I have been making a list of all the locations featured on Doomsday Preppers. Gonna sit in the woods with a high powered cross bow and wait for one of them Preppers to make a stupid mistake. I am then gonna shoot him, steal his food and repopulate the world with his daughters........

It's funny reading this because that's what I don't get about DDPers, They actually think they'll be safe all hunkered down. I dont think so. They'll actually become the biggest targets after a while. Generally what will likely happen is gangs will go roaming to each of the acerages. They'll show up and be met with either warning shots or someone getting shot. At that point, if the gang is outnumbered and out gunned they might take off. And then if they're really bad duded they'll end up camped out near by in the woods with their crossbows or whatever waiting for the DDPers to either come out (that's if they want to take over the DDPer's house) or if they don't care, then at night they'd just go in with a malatove cocktail and throw that on the roof of the house and they'd get burnt out of there. That's why in some respect DDPer's are kind naive. The smart DDP would have to have a very very secure compound with solid fencing and gaurd towers. Making it very difficult for outsiders. Without that then they have no chance. But then again with it, they become even more of a target. It's a catch 22. I think I wouldn't shoot anyone, and certainly not murder anyone, but I think the reality is that in a doomsday scenario where your'e starving anyone might be capable of doing anything. Which is scary.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoParadigm

Because it's funner that way.

Also if it was, you can't eat the zombies. The zombies are people. You'd be a cannible if you did that. They're still humans hello. I'd rather starve to death.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
same way I do now .. from my garden , the jungle and fishing.
Fresh food year around here.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Braaaaaaaaaaains!

Oh wait, you didn't mean AS a zombie? Never mind.

But really I'd say the zombie apocalypse is already here, the first day came when we went from being customers to consuuuuuumers... nom nom nom we eat whole world now.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I'll be nomadic, always on the move, raiding various rundown stores, you'll never know what you may find in them.
After a good while I may settle down in a secure location and start a farm.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Don't forget a hazmat suit, if your going to stay put, all the dead people and animals will have to be collected and burnt, otherwise a huge amount of zombie rats and blow fly's will plague you, both plagues of biblical proportions.
Just eating meat is really bad for you, a good mixture of vegetables is a must, so stock up on seeds, and get yourself some chickens!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

Seemed to work out ok in the video game Fallout, just don't the bribe and blow up Fat Man if you want a farm.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   

after a zombie apocalypse how would you actually go about feeding yourself and lets say if you didn't have a gun?

If I didn't have a gun to feed myself with (btw its hard to use a gun when eating a bowl of soup)I would use these...

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Depends on the nature of the zombie apocalypse. Is everything / thing already infected? Do you require contact with the infected to become infected? Are animals safe to eat?

You can grow quite a bit hydroponically, but without bees to aid in pollination, you aren't growing enough to feed more than a family or two.

I'd try to secure a farm and grow crops and animals, that's how I'd roll. And I surely wouldn't put the guy most likely to fall asleep alone on watch.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I hear there's a twinkie factory in Natick...

OP if you're serious about this as a possibility my apologies for making jokes. So I'll answer, If I wanted to survive I'd commandeer a sail boat stock it with all the fresh water I could find, and sail to an uninhabited island I researched that I knew had fruit trees and a fresh water natural spring. Live off fish and fruit. As far as I know zombies can't swim and if they can... predators of the sea would take them out before coming anywhere near my little strip of paradise.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Not to beat about the bush, but what sort of Zombie infection are we talking about in the first place? If it isn't flesh born, then there is potentially loads of food about with every zombie body.........

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join