It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Survival Concept for everyone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I have been pondering the situation many may find themselves in if the usa crashes hard, financially. This will effect the entire globe in a very negative way. The poor would be the first to feel the impact and in the worst way. However, they are at least accustomed to living by the seat of their pants and would not be as negatively impacted by the change, overall, as the more affluent.

The problem is, the largest populations of the impoverished are stuffed into major metropolitan areas and as a result, anyone living in those areas can assume that anything they have as a personal possession will soon become the property of roaming gangs of looters -- they will not spare even their own poverty stricken community members, so don't think that just because you're poor or a minority, that they won't come pay you a visit and take your baby's enfamil supply or your electronic devices, tools, wallet, artwork, food, jewelry, magazines, anything that isn't bolted down (and in some cases, even things that are bolted down!), and perhaps even your life.

THIS DOES NOT NEED TO HAPPEN! And this is where my idea comes in, observe:

Every city has several charitable stores in the usa, such as Good Will or Salvation Army. These organizations take in donations and then sell them to others for sharply decreased prices. We need to convince them to set aside storage space on their store properties to hold food and medicine donations, and then to distribute fliers to their local communities, informing everyone that in the event of a state, national or global crisis where the food and medicine distribution chain has broken down, that they can come to the store and get a kit, containing food and medicine sufficient for their family size, free of charge. If every charitable store did this, they would save millions of lives, and completely remove the need for massive looting and violence.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

It is a very good idea you have. I thought our taxes were supposed to include pre-planning storage of food for such an event. Everyone should save seeds from the food they eat, and start a compost pile. I feel welfare, food stamps, free lunches, free health care, Obama phones, etc... was already covering the pre-apocalypse situation called the recession soft depression period we have been enduring. People need to educate themselves on how to do things, and work at being self reliant. Learning to garden is essential.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The problem is that in a crisis that there would be loads of well armed Americans looking to ensure that they get as much as possible and i'd expect much bloodshed so while its not a bad idea i'd imagine desperate people with firearms will cause trouble

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
perhaps have the donations for food be specific. such as only donations of large bags of rice, beans, oatmeal or grits. each person requesting food would get their pick of what type they wanted from that list. for medical supplies, have only first aid kits available, and direct people who need prescription pharmaceuticals, to the nearest hospital (which should also have a stockpile of free medicine in the event of such an emergency! a good portion of looting and death is typically over drugs or required drugs. so hospitals should have an emergency plan, already in place, to save them and everyone else, the resulting backlash if people can't get access to life saving medicines)

p.s. and it wouldn't hurt if the local bars had a supply of free booze (like a stockpile of kegs of cheap beer, cause an alcoholic going thru ddts is not a happy camper.

the idea is to stop the REASONS to suffer so the suffering will be waylaid before it can even start.
edit on 18-8-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
The problem is that in a crisis that there would be loads of well armed Americans looking to ensure that they get as much as possible and i'd expect much bloodshed so while its not a bad idea i'd imagine desperate people with firearms will cause trouble

this is why the fliers should be widely distributed in advance of such a scenario so people won't feel compelled to go into survival of the fittest mode. even if they were unable to plan for it themselves, others have done so already and they need only get their most able bodied family member down to the good will or salvation army or what not, to get the required supplies

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

It is absolutely Impossible to Quell Panic.

I suspect in a SHTF scenario that people will stop thinking critically with their Right Brain and start thinking with their Reptilian Brain ( the one that governs survival ).

When you put weapons and live ammo in the hands of a Panicky individual, you are likely to see a Very Undesirable Outcome.

Not an attractive thought at all.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by frugal
reply to post by undo

It is a very good idea you have. I thought our taxes were supposed to include pre-planning storage of food for such an event. Everyone should save seeds from the food they eat, and start a compost pile. I feel welfare, food stamps, free lunches, free health care, Obama phones, etc... was already covering the pre-apocalypse situation called the recession soft depression period we have been enduring. People need to educate themselves on how to do things, and work at being self reliant. Learning to garden is essential.

wouldn't hurt for large cities to create hydroponic farms, since they don't require large horizontal land space, only vertical space. maybe the charitable orgs could also distribute a hydroponic kit as well, that contains a guide on how to start a hydroponic farm with some of the pieces needed (which don't look all that pricey, other than the pump to pump the water back thru the plants).

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by undo

It is absolutely Impossible to Quell Panic.

I suspect in a SHTF scenario that people will stop thinking critically with their Right Brain and start thinking with their Reptilian Brain ( the one that governs survival ).

When you put weapons and live ammo in the hands of a Panicky individual, you are likely to see a Very Undesirable Outcome.

Not an attractive thought at all.

it isn't impossible if people know there's a system in place to make panic unnecessary.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
OP, I really want to thank you for posting this. I mean it and for reasons you obviously couldn't have known a thing about.

A family member has been after me on the idea of forming a "militia without the guns" type group as the best way I can describe his concept. Most Militia we've looked at are as much or more focused on combat, roadblocks and weapons skills than basic survival and helping others make it at the same time. Not all..but too many. So, his idea and his staying after it. I've been trying to come up with a hook. Some sort of core mission if 'defense' like a Militia, isn't to be it...and I agree with others in saying that isn't the best solution or use of resources.

You've given me the idea I've been struggling to find to offer into his plan. The core purpose? Co-Operative collection and storage of bulk supply for emergency use of members and family. It's brilliant! A group can accumulate through shared resources, a virtual mountain of supplies that no single person could accomplish and make all the difference if ever needed.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Then let me ask this. .. ..

You ignite and your body is ablaze. All you have to do is like you were taught in school and STOP, DROP, and ROLL. However, most people in that situation completely forget what they were taught and start flailing about and fanning the flames.

So tell me, do you think education is going to override the Reptilian Brain?

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It's certainly a lovely idea, but unfortunately I don't have the faith in humanity these days to believe that the distribution at the sites would proceed in any sort of civil manner. It's simply more likely that they would be stormed, especially knowing exactly where they are. I don't see the more thuggish elements of our society waiting patiently in line while keeping their firearms out of sight.

These days people are being shot over new videogame systems. During hurricane Katrina, when many took refuge in the Superdome, entire families were being robbed by armed gangs. There's already enough violence and crime in our urban centers, and if it did really hit the fan, I don't believe it would get anything but worse.

I hate to sound so cynical, but I've been around awhile and have seen this society unraveling at the seams for quite some time, and am somewhat jaded. Maybe I should move the heck out to the country.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

There are a few problems I see with your idea. First of all, most Good Will and Salvation Army outlets don't except food or medicine donations. If you really pushed for what you're advocating, you could work around this one. However, even the food banks that already exist run out of food daily and can't really keep up with the number of hungry people on the streets, let alone if there was a catastrophe and a sudden surge of hands out. This goes for free clinics as well, they simply cannot keep up with the number of people in need already. And while I agree it would be a good idea to stock up for a crisis, could you really, in good conscience, hold out on people who need it now?

Preparation is always a good idea though. I think the best way to go about it is to stock up and plan for you and yours. Maybe find some like minded people to do the same and create a network. Work out plans for various scenarios, figure out what you'll need to get on your feet in a given situation, and maybe even draft up work schedules and supply rations to figure out where you're at supply-wise and how to stay supplied. It would be a lot of work, but if its something you think is pressing or necessary then get on it. However, I think it would need to be a pretty tight-knit group who know and trust each other. If the SHTF, how many people would you really take in? How much of your very limited, hard-earned, and hard-kept supplies would you hand out, only to realize you haven't even put a dent in the hunger in your immediate community?

In the end, what you're advocating is what FEMA and the like are for... doesn't sound like it'll work, huh?

Plan ahead and look out for yourself and your family. In a SHTF scenario, you can count on that being plenty of work in itself.
edit on 18-8-2013 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
My problem with this is... what if nothing happens; then we'll have stockpiles of items family could have been using to get through their trials, instead will be collecting dust, because of a what if situation? Not very logical in my opinion, and should a serious emergency occur what makes you think it'd be different then other location that would get looted?

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I worked for one of those non-profit corporation once, and know they can't be relied on to do anything but waste and destroy nearly half of what is donated to them, and another good portion will be pilfered by employees and members of the organization who subsist at an almost parasitic level from those donations.

Religious organization or not, non-profits are just a scam and take advantage like any other corporation does.

Plus they would get raided like everything and everyone else would, especially with the ridiculously non-existent security they have in place to protect themselves.

Better to get familiar with areas with water and catch food with a fishing rod or fish traps, trap small game, hunt domestic pets and other food sources, learn about what roots to eat.

In a nutshell, grow a brain and learn how to survive and get the hell out of the city any way you can. Don't be concerned with anything but the last resort mode of transport and the absolute minimum of equipment.

In the end, last resort is to rely only on yourself.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
maybe once a month, have the foods that will be expiring in a couple months from then, be handed out to any who ask. one bag per customer. so that gives the customer time to make use of the supply before it expires. meanwhile, anyone who could afford it, could continue to contribute one bag or more per month of the food types mentioned. that'll keep the stock turning over, help to support the local community and establish the concept firmly in the minds of the locals, that the store in their neighborhood that does this, can be counted on in the time of crisis.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Worst case scenarios always leave a void for the greedy and corrupt of us to do what they do best, anywhere there are people in a group would be best avoided, very few people will help without having some demand of something in return from those they help, and we all know nearly nobody around here knows how to act, so you may not want to give them in return what they demand.

Nobody can be trusted now, and during chaotic it becomes even more dangerous to trust anyone. Like now, and it isn't going to get better till it gets a whole lot worse. Don't stay in the line of fire.

First and foremost is to break the addiction to Hopium, and ponder what one may do after it seems there is no hope.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
all the stores and hospitals and bars and restaurants should already know, that if they don't have a plan in place to become part of the relief effort, that roaming gangs of people in various states of high anxiety, will just break in and take it, at gun point. people will get shot, the places ransacked and everything stolen or destroyed. doctors, nurses, barkeeps, pharmacists, etc, dead, and all their supplies stolen. it's much better to just have a plan in place to contribute to the community in time of need. and inform the community, in advance, that the plan exists so they will know not to panic

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
all the stores and hospitals and bars and restaurants should already know, that if they don't have a plan in place to become part of the relief effort, that roaming gangs of people in various states of high anxiety, will just break in and take it, at gun point. people will get shot, the places ransacked and everything stolen or destroyed. doctors, nurses, barkeeps, pharmacists, etc, dead, and all their supplies stolen. it's much better to just have a plan in place to contribute to the community in time of need. and inform the community, in advance, that the plan exists so they will know not to panic

I agree that its better to have a plan in place for such an event, but I don't believe stockpiling is the answer. The best idea would be to have a personal plan, as community wide plans are more susceptible to exploitation. The best plans you could make is how to get water, how to find/grow food or hunt/trap, how to make a shelter, how to build a fire, and make sure you know who else knows what, and what existing/possible threats are in the area. The more you rely on stockpiles, the less far you'll make it. Having a small network of trustworthy, like minded people would really help.

Edit to add: people are way too unpredictable, especially when panicked. Relying on a community emergency plan would not keep people from going absolutely nuts.
edit on 18-8-2013 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-8-2013 by sine.nomine because: typo

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
it's not so much stockpiling as just emergency ready efforts for all the communities.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

ABSOLUTELY INDEED.

Though such places may need a raft of former active duty Marines et al to protect such places more from the government than from the roving gangs.

It seems to me that your excellent idea needs some development in order to have layers of defense around such places.

Sigh.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join