It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Taiwan President Diverts Over Chinese Jets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Several weeks ago, the plane carrying the Taiwanese president to an outlying island, was forced to divert. The reason was that over 28 Chinese fighter jets were in the area. The report in the United Daily News could not say if the encounter was a random act or a deliberate attempt to intimidate the president. Adding to the mystery is the fact that the Vice Presidents flight encountered a similar group of fighters.

story.news.yahoo.com
TAIPEI, Taiwan - The Taiwanese president's flight to an outlying island several weeks ago was diverted because 28 Chinese fighter jets were spotted in the area, a major Taiwanese newspaper reported Thursday.

The report in the United Daily News � which only cited unidentified "reliable sources" � didn't say whether President Chen Shui-bian's reported encounter with the Chinese jets on Sept. 27 was a coincidence or an act of intimidation by China.

Taiwan and China separated amid civil war in 1949, and Beijing has repeatedly threatened to attack if the Taiwanese refuse to unify and seek a permanent split. China has used massive war games and missile tests to pressure Taiwan into accepting unification.

Taiwan's Defense Ministry declined to comment on the report about the Chinese jets.

The United Daily News said the Taiwanese president was flying to the Penghu islands when the 28 Chinese planes approached the "middle line" of the Taiwan Strait, the 100-mile body of water that separates the rivals.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

One flight could easily be explained as an exercise, but two such incidents? China seems to be engaged in an endless series of threats and provocations with Taiwan. One has to wonder if this strategy is working. While people seem to express hope that reunification is within reach, their actions may only serve to drive a further wedge between them. Chine seems bent on causing a conflict and Taiwan seems to be edging closer to declaring independence.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
China planning military exercise in Taiwan Strait
Can China Invade Taiwan?
China begins war games, eyes Taiwan by 2020

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I have some questions.

How far out does China claim territorial waters from it's shore?

How far out does taiwan claim territorial waters from it's shore?

Either or both times, what was the flight path of the jet's-clearly from China, but the path they followed.

Is it a path Chinese jets normally follow?

Did the Chinese jets follow the same path both times?

Has anyone asked China about this? If they have, what did China have to say about it?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that the Chinese still consider Taiwan to be a part of China. I assume that they may fly where they want to, only avoiding what might be considered Taiwanese airspace to prevent military conflict. I'm pretty sure that the world has acknowledged that Taiwan is still a part of China, but the US amongst others have made only one thing clear. China is not to force compliance through military action. To answer your question... I think that Taiwanese airspace IS Chinese airspace.

Edit: for terrible spelling

[edit on 11-11-2004 by veritas93]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I'm just curious other then France, who else in the world is acknowledging that Taiwan is still part of China? And who along with the US is backing Taiwan?

Cebu

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
One flight could easily be explained as an exercise, but two such incidents? China seems to be engaged in an endless series of threats and provocations with Taiwan. One has to wonder if this strategy is working. While people seem to express hope that reunification is within reach, their actions may only serve to drive a further wedge between them. Chine seems bent on causing a conflict and Taiwan seems to be edging closer to declaring independence.

Good for you to recognize that Taiwan is not independent yet, and is still a province of China. It is quantum leap for you.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cebu
I'm just curious other then France, who else in the world is acknowledging that Taiwan is still part of China? And who along with the US is backing Taiwan?

I'm not sure that anyone anywhere acknowledges Taiwan as a sovereign nation. I also don't think that anyone is actually supporting them as such. They've petitioned the UN for full membership on many occassions only to be voted down by the VAST majority of the world's nations.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 04:28 AM
link   
i can see it now....

Taiwan asks for US protection of it VIP planes.

Chinese/US fighters get hot headed, furball breaks out.

Instant WW3

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Chinese fighter pilots have an annoying way of running into you when you least expect it.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:16 AM
link   
hmmm China could have been making this move purposefully knowing Taiwan wants to break free, as an effort to scare the tiawaneese into realizing they are still part of china, and they are still 'owned' by the chineese?

not necessarily to attack them, more as a 'we still own you' aura?

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by zcheng

Good for you to recognize that Taiwan is not independent yet, and is still a province of China. It is quantum leap for you.

Taiwan is not a province of China whatever you want to believe. It never really was.

Even if it ever was, Taiwan became the first Asian independent republic since 1895 because of the Shimonoseki Treaty.

This is what really frustrates me...people still claim the U.S. to be an oppressive nation when we can all see in plain sight that there are other countries who are the "real opressors"....

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Here is an exerpt on this treaty. Actually this link is more reliable.

Apr. 17, 1895, ending the First Sino-Japanese War . It was negotiated and signed by Ito Hirobumi for Japan and Li Hung-chang for China. Harsh terms were imposed on a badly defeated China. The treaty provided for the end of Chinese suzerainty over Korea, giving Korea independence, and for the cession to Japan of Taiwan, the Pescadores islands, and Port Arthur and the Liaodong peninsula. Japan also imposed a large indemnity and forced China to open five new treaty ports. A week after the treaty was signed, however, Russia, France, and Germany together�in the so-called Triple Intervention�demanded that Japan renounce claims to Port Arthur and the Liaodong peninsula. Japan reluctantly agreed (Nov., 1895), but China was forced to pay an additional indemnity.

Excerpted from.
www.encyclopedia.com...

[edit on 12-11-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

What year is today? 1895?

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

So what you're saying is China can choose to ignore a 109 year old treaty? Please don't take the propagandist route of telling me how the US ignores treaties because this thread has become about the Chinese claim to Taiwan, not the "Well the US ignores treaties too" thread.

Do have any information to dispute muaddib's information or what??

[edit on 11/12/2004 by titian]

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by titian
So what you're saying is China can choose to ignore a 109 year old treaty? Please don't take the propagandist route of telling me how the US ignores treaties because this thread has become about the Chinese claim to Taiwan, not the "Well the US ignores treaties too" thread.

Do have any information to dispute muaddib's information or what??

[edit on 11/12/2004 by titian]

Are you saying that Taiwan belongs to Japan since it was ceded to Japan in 1895?

[edit on 12-11-2004 by zcheng]

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Without reading the treaty in its entirety and then studying all recent events pertaining to said treaty I wouldn't be in a position to make such a statement. Perhaps I should have clarified that and now it is done.

I was asking why you chose to answer a factual post with a question like "What year is it?" as if that matters. I then asked what facts you had to dispute this since you are the one who chose to do so with your post here:

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

The national defense ministry said that media reports that the presidential flight had been interfered with by Chinese fighter jets was false.

"We think that it was just another trick to seek the public's support for urging the Legislative Yuan to pass the government's arms procurement budget,"

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   

What year did the the Taiwanese leave Mao's paradise? maybe that is more relevant. They left.

They can and eventualy will declare independance. The heavy handed tactics that worked so well to brutally surpress Tibet, will not work well with a prosperous well armed Taiwan.

top topics

join