It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help Chosing Next DSLR

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Hey everyone, thanks for dropping by. As the title suggests, I need help choosing my next DSLR. I've just gotten rid of my Canon 650D and EF-S lenses in hopes of getting a full frame camera. But do I need a full frame?

I'm currently looking at a Canon 5D MKII, but I'm not sure if it's *right* for me, perhaps I can save the money by not buying that particular camera and put it towards more gear. Hence, I need some valuable input.

I can't really define a style of photography I do as it's all around. A lot at night, and day. So I'd like to get some ATS photographer imput as to what YOU use and why to help me determine a camera for my mixed usage. I will be going with Canon due to my lenses, and those of you who use a full format camera stories are of special interest. But I encourage everyone to take part, even if you use a different make camera.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

Not many people think of sony when looking for a camera

But This bad boy Is at least worth a look.

Cody

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

I went for the 7D mostly because it covers my needs in features. And of course I had Canon lenses already, but none that would make me rethink a 5D to 7D comparison.. I tend to shoot a lot of landscapes and scenery in general, so the wide and short format works well. For a portrait, I can still crop and have plenty of resolution left. What is more difficult IMO is to try to turn the full format into a single shot landscape by cropping. You can't frame it in a natural way through the lens or it won't crop right. Panaromas from splicing overlaps is okish, but IMO not the same as a single photo.

That said, there are few extra capabilities with the 5D2 that might make sense for some photographers, especially for portraits and maybe low light at high ISO. OTOH, the autofocus points and metering in the 7D plus higher frame rate is a plus. I don't tend to shoot sports photos in low light anymore (used to in ice arenas), but I do find 8 to 9 frames per second in raw is useful. I do occasionally use the high ISO and have found the noise on the 7D to be much better than my old 50D.

Regardless of which you get, in a year or so (maybe even less) there might be even better features on newer models. So, if the 7D and 5D are closely matched in your estimation for your needs, you might want to get the 7D and upgrade again later for the newer features.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Well i suggest you get a cheaper body, And invest in some nice glass. With the better lenses you will tell a difference in the quality of your images
. All the digital bodies now are great tbh. I used the 18/55 And 55/200 kit lenses, And got great results. Then upgraded my lenses. What a difference i noticed then in the images. They just seemed to pop more

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Canons 70 d is released soon ( my next purchase )
Which is the replacement for the 7d and 60/600/650
It's a cropped frame camera
With 128000 iso
20 mp sensor ( that uses every pixel twice ) look it up its getting quite some attention
Touch screen - articulated screen - wifi - remote operation from phone/tablet - full 1080p video

Hell it's got all the best bits from all canons cameras rolled into one package
I've just spent 3 weeks looking into my next dslr ...........And the 70d is the most feature rich combined with functionality and ease of use

And it'll accept all your current lenses

Efs lenses will not fit on a full framed sensor like the 5d, they only take ef fittings ( I'm presuming you're talking about a 55-250mm efs lens or similar - as I said these will not fit a full frame camera and you will have to upgrade to ef lenses .........$$$$$
A cropped frame camera delivers photos that look like there already been cropped --- or zoomed a little
Think of it this way ---- simply
A cropped frame is reduce in size by say x 1.6
Therefore the photo taken will look zoomed by a factor of 1.6
For example the 55-250 efs lens will at it max zoom of 250 it will produce an image comparable to a 300mm lens
THIS IS VERY LAMENS TERMS AND NOT ENTIRELY ACCURATE BUT YOU GET THE IDEA

It really depends on what you shoot ........but there's nothing wrong with a cropped sensor

edit on 18-8-2013 by RAGU3L because: Added

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

Before you buy a camera, do some reading on this site. Ken is down to earth, and easy to read. If anyone can give you an idea of what you need, he can.

Ken Rockwell

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for your input. I enjoyed reading all of it and you gave me a couple of ideas.

Resolution isn't that important to me, neither is high ISO (As I typically don't shoot over 200 even at night with my Canon 50mm 1.8 or my sigma 30mm 1.4). I also don't need wifi, GPS, a touch screen or a moveable screen.

The 7D might be a looker, although I did like the Sony mentioned. I hope more continue to provide their input!
edit on 18-8-2013 by Auricom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Just a quick update, I just want to thank everyone for their input. I really appreciate the fact that you're taking time out of your lives to visit this thread and lend me a hand.

However, I think I'll be sticking with my 5D classic for the time being and invest in more gear. The 5D is a great camera, and when I go through everything in my mind over what I need, I realize I already have it.

I did however get a new(ish) point and shoot. A Samsung EX2F. It's got a pretty bright lens at F 1.4 which will help me when scouting out areas to shoot at night without having to drag with my entire DSLR kit.

top topics

join