It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your passion?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699
I don't seem to be passionate about anything anymore in life. I'm almost 39. Tried everything already. Life is just boring now.

Thats not right bud... In a universe of infinite size and a limitless imagination you should not be getting bored.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Sorry to be another doomsayer but I dont think I have any real idea what my passions are.I love & adore my wife and daughter and I have many material likes but its very hard to pin down if I have a passion for anything.

Now I think of it I am generally numb in that I just get up and go to work 5 days a week. I dont like my job with the everything is urgent mentality, although I mostly like the people I work with.

I had some counselling a couple years ago and it helped me to understand a few things including my need to be liked and recognising a panic attack when it happens. Following this I am not as sad as I was but I am not a happy man.

Recently I have started to work unpaid for a radio station programming shows and it has made me realise how important music is to me. It can move me more than anything and can provoke incredible emotions. My parents were musicians and so are one or two of my siblings. Perhaps that is where my passion lies ??

Thanks for reading.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Hey SonoftheSon:

I am also passionate about life. I love life but don't necessarily love the way we live it. Passion is kind of my motto. I proudly wear a chinese word tattoed on the left side of my chest. It's translation means "Passion".
reply to post by SonoftheSun

First, thanks for your upbeat responses. I really like you've gotten so much value out of information here in research about the universe, cosmos, etc., and it's given you "new" passion.

What you say here about "loving life but not necessarily the way we live it," really hit a chord with me, though, and I'm sure it will with many. It was particularly wise, and perhaps deserving of a thread of its own. Something for you to explore, perhaps.
Love your choice of tatoos, as well, and assume this is over your heart as you mentioned it was on the left side of your chest...very cool, as it is where our passion, perhaps, resides....
Tetra50

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699
I don't seem to be passionate about anything anymore in life. I'm almost 39. Tried everything already. Life is just boring now.

Hey Spartacus: Is this perhaps just a passing thing, because it sounds like depression. And depression, under the right circumstances, doesn't have to remain with us and rule our lives. Life with no joy or passion, indeed, is not only boring, but perhaps even painful in the sheer repetitiveness of it, when it feels as you describe.

I hope the best for you, and that this boredom will pass, and something which you have a passion for will find you, even if you have stopped looking. But always keep searching. Just MHO. Peace to you.
Tetra50

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by macpdm

Hi macpdm: Yours was another reply that really got to me, if only in its sheer honesty of how you are looking deep inside yourself, at least, to find the answers, a purpose. (reminds me of a Leonard Cohen song lyric from "Show Me the Place: a shred of light, a particle, a wave.....but there were chains, so I hastened to behave.)

The numbness you describe, despite the family love you have, I think most of us would recognize as a depression. Also, your description of your job and getting up over and over again to go do it, even though appreciating those around you, is a depression I think many are suffering from. And here, I think of SonoftheSon's comment about loving life, but not necessarily how we live it. Come to think of it, much of what is written on this website is really about our frustrations with feeling a lack of choices in how we're having to live it, just to survive, and so much of that seems to not have a purpose that resonates with us----just about earning the money to pay the bills to support ourselves and make sure those we love are provided for.

Music can do the same that you describe for me, as well. When I'm feeling particularly numb, it can put me back in touch with either my joy, or my pain. Many songs, like the Cohen one I mentioned above, never fail to bring me to tears......but even this pain, I think, I need to feel, because the numbness is a shutting down (at least for me) that threatens my capacity, then, to remain compassionate and empathetic to others, which for me is a necessary connection to life and holding onto any passion in living.

I am feeling for you my friend. Hold on. Keep going with the music, and keep searching for what reaches you, and dispels that numbness.....
Tetra50

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
yoga
the path and the end

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

absolutely agree.....
Tetra

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

Art!

I make art/craft I have made everything from leather sandals to acoustic guitars in my career as an artisan.

I also painted and made sculpture from found objects/mixed media.

Currently I am making documentary films and working on New Media projects of others.

If you have a project that would lend itself to film; we can help as producers with a full cast and crew at our disposal; as well as a staff of writers that can turn your short story, novel or movie treatment into a screen play.

If you have an idea that you need to express...try this
www.celtx.com...

edit on 18-8-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

Thankyou my friend that was a touching & thoughtful reply. I was hoping it came across as honest as I wrote & rewrote my reply to be sure I was getting down what I was feeling.

I do feel somewhat trapped in my job as I have the mortgage and lifestyle to match. All of my own doing and I think following the usual course of what is perceived to be success.

Anyway I think music could be my saviour.

Love & light my friend

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

My current passion is studying about nutrition.

I love, love, love good food! And...since our food intake affects our entire body...I want to make sure I am feeding my family, friends and myself healthy, tasty and interesting food choices. There is so much to learn!

A good meal brings people together.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I have lots of different passions and the list has grown. Before marriage and children, my passion was and still is philosophy, theology, spirituality, cultural anthropology, and so on.

My childen and husband are central to much of my passion now. I work tirelessly to inform them of the things they can't and Will never learn in the education system. At the lower level elementary levels anyway. I hope my children will think outside the box, resist oppresive conditioning and recognize propaganda when they see it, and truly understand some of the more serious problems society faces. Particularly at the global level. We just don't care about one another as we should, as a familial species. I try to enlighten my kids, well when their old enough, to these things so that maybe, just maybe when they enter the world as an adult - they enter into it determined to make change.

I also have passions in art, writing and reading. Even if I lived to 100, it will still not be enough time to learn all that I want to learn before death embraces me.

Cirque

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Thanks for your reply, Caladonea. It is certainly true that as far as family culture goes, an at least once a day gathering for a meal together is much more than about the meal, but eating healthy food is important, as well, as our bodies require that. If that's your way of trying to bring people together, kudos to you.
Tetra50

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CirqueDeTruth
I have lots of different passions and the list has grown. Before marriage and children, my passion was and still is philosophy, theology, spirituality, cultural anthropology, and so on.

My childen and husband are central to much of my passion now. I work tirelessly to inform them of the things they can't and Will never learn in the education system. At the lower level elementary levels anyway. I hope my children will think outside the box, resist oppresive conditioning and recognize propaganda when they see it, and truly understand some of the more serious problems society faces. Particularly at the global level. We just don't care about one another as we should, as a familial species. I try to enlighten my kids, well when their old enough, to these things so that maybe, just maybe when they enter the world as an adult - they enter into it determined to make change.

I also have passions in art, writing and reading. Even if I lived to 100, it will still not be enough time to learn all that I want to learn before death embraces me.

Cirque

What a wonderful reply and list of things to be passionate about;. Find myself wishing you'd been my mother....your kids are lucky to have not only such a committed, passionate mother, but one who is continuing to search for answers, use critical thinking, and show them while you're giving them information, as well......
More power to you, and, of course much joy, as well....
Tetra

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
My passion is to live, walk as close as I can in Christ. Even though I believed that I knew Christ, I only realized over the past 2 years that I never did, as I thought I did. It took me months to get a spiritual awakening, +- a year of spirtual growth, with sweat and many tears of weakness. Still growing, still battling, still weak at times, but I persevere, and at times I don't know how I make it through.

It may sound silly to many. On the 17th of August 2012 I had this overwhelming feeling of love, peace and joy. I cannot explain this joy, i have no words to justify the feeling I had. All I know it was so pure, perfect perfection which dwelled inside of me. But, I knew it was from our Father. Impossible to explain and prove it, I know this. But, I know the truth.

And so this counts as a passion, too, i want for everyone to experience this, hence my participation in many religious discussions. I know I have my foes, but I don't care. If i can make one person experience what I had on that Saturday one year ago, it will be worth having angry non-believers bashing me.

And, I will say, what is strange is that non-believers hardly argue with me, and vice versa

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'm not really sure if people will understand why this would be the first passion I thought of when I read the OP but I wake up every day hoping for as many laughs as possible. Nearly everyone I associate with at work and my mates have a very dry and sarcastic sense of humour and we feed of this, coming up with quick and witty remarks to comments made is a total pleasure that we share with each other.

ETA: Summary: My passion is to amuse and be amused

edit on 18/8/2013 by ThorsBrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

You either Love her or you Hate her, hate is a strong word to apply to her if you truelly Love her? People can forgive others and should, but that doesn't mean going back around people who only want to hurt you. Forgiveness is for ones own benefit it takes the hate away from your heart, hatefulness is a heavy burden to carry. Just my opinion...... We have way to much Hate in this world

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by girl_interrupted
My passion is and has always been writing.

Unfortunately, I currently devote more energy to overcoming PTSD that stems from an assault in 2011.

Hi. Obviously I have no clue as to your writing style but have you ever thought of writing about your experiences in depth, maybe developing a story out of it ect? As it happened in 2011 you probably have thought of it and/or it isn't a good idea.

Get well soon!

or something? haha

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This is such a beautiful thread.
My passion, without a doubt , is my children. I have four and each and every one of them has been a treasured journey from the very first kick when pregnant until now, through them I have learned endless things about myself, about them and about life in general! they motivate me in everything I do and every choice I make and I am happy to devote my life to their happiness, education and helping them grow into the best they can be! I appreciate every moment I have with them!

My other passion, like you, is animals. I now live in a country where animal welfare is not, shall we say, a priority, and although my circumstances don't allow it right now, my ambition and my total passion would be to form a kind of ' home of rest' or rescue centre for animals. Right now I can only do a little bit of what I dream of - have given homes to an abandoned day old kitten, a hedgehog ( which I am releasing into the wild this weekend! ), some rabbits and a tortoise, all found I bad conditions in pet shops here. Can't wait for the day I can do more.

I also love writing and have done as long as I remember. Am struggling at the moment with confidence issues and although I have long had a story inside me that I badly need to write into a novel, the inner critic is too strong right now and I fear I may just not have what it takes.........

Thanks again for a thought provoking thread xx

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

Hello KaelemJames:

My passion is to live, walk as close as I can in Christ. Even though I believed that I knew Christ, I only realized over the past 2 years that I never did, as I thought I did. It took me months to get a spiritual awakening, +- a year of spirtual growth, with sweat and many tears of weakness. Still growing, still battling, still weak at times, but I persevere, and at times I don't know how I make it through.

Without getting into personal religious discussions or distinctions, I want to say that I admire your committment and perseverence a great deal, especially reading your descriptiveness of what a struggle this has been, as it is, for many. I respect your passion for choosing that path to walk, and struggling to stay on it, for it is not an easy journey.

It may sound silly to many. On the 17th of August 2012 I had this overwhelming feeling of love, peace and joy. I cannot explain this joy, i have no words to justify the feeling I had. All I know it was so pure, perfect perfection which dwelled inside of me. But, I knew it was from our Father. Impossible to explain and prove it, I know this. But, I know the truth.

I, for one, find nothing silly about what you are describing, and have deep respect for what many would term your "awakening to the holy spirit within you." I also respect your knowing this truth; however, I would say to you it is your truth, and a highly personal experience. What I mean by this I will explain further when I quote the last of what you shared about your passion in and for living, and your way of connecting with that experience.

And so this counts as a passion, too, i want for everyone to experience this, hence my participation in many religious discussions. I know I have my foes, but I don't care. If i can make one person experience what I had on that Saturday one year ago, it will be worth having angry non-believers bashing me.

The passion you are describing here, I think, most Christians would describe as "witnessing," to help others find the same within them, and choose a similar path to provide them the joy and acceptance you have found within you. But I don't know you can "convince" someone to find this within them.... Not that I argue with the general idea of witnessing to a committment to God and his Holy Spirit, because there is much here that gives many purpose and connection with and to living to being the best people they can be in this. But discovering that within yourself, I am not so sure can come from anyone convincing you......

I only say this because my belief is this discovery is meant to teach us more about ourselves, and guide us, without feeling the need to convert others. I only say this because many see this belief structure in organized religion, whichever one it is, as a major factor in concquering and dividing the human race, fighting wars, and unnecessary bloodshed. Not that I am saying you should not be helping to guide others who are in need, however you see fit. But it's always something to be careful with.....

Just my opinion, and no matter my own, I respect your's and appreciate a great deal your thoughtful reply to this thread, and hope for you and others that you can provide or help guide others to this comfort, and acceptance, as I recognize the place you are coming from is a good one: wanting others to feel what you felt that gave you peace and a way of life that provided you purpose and passion, and love.

Thanks again for your comments here.
Tetra50

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThorsBrother
I'm not really sure if people will understand why this would be the first passion I thought of when I read the OP but I wake up every day hoping for as many laughs as possible. Nearly everyone I associate with at work and my mates have a very dry and sarcastic sense of humour and we feed of this, coming up with quick and witty remarks to comments made is a total pleasure that we share with each other.

ETA: Summary: My passion is to amuse and be amused

edit on 18/8/2013 by ThorsBrother because: (no reason given)

Hello ThorsBrother:

Thanks for your replies and reading the thread and OP. Doesn't really matter if others understand your passion.....if this is what gives your life what you need to keep living it, and especially as it seems to help your friends,as well, I'm all for it---as it's not hurting anyone.

However, this, in response to girl_interrupted who responded early in the thread, obviously in some pain.....

Get well soon! or something? haha

well, I would just suggest, gently meant, that there are times there's nothing funny about certain situations, and not realizing that can also be quite hurtful to people. Though I did find the rest of that post to her a helpful suggestion, and suggested something like it to her privately last night, as her post touched me deeply.

Thanks for reading and responding, and good things to you, friend.
Tetra50

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join