national service in the u.k / conscription

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Once Israel attacks Iran, America will invoke the Draft. Think about it.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
17 to 21 is the age for national service. I think its a great idea, far too many demotivated, directionless teens and even more borderline feral youth that national service needs to be reintroduced for. However, I'm sure cost was a factor last time so doubt it will get in this time.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by dagann

Unlikely. It would be electoral suicide. Not going to happen.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by geobro

I have trouble coming up with a realistic scenario where conscription could be introduced.

how about a million kids with nothing to do and no sign of work or a future ahead it might make men/women of them bring it on i say

I was around during the last round of 'National Service' All I have to say about it is (and

even at that young age it was very noticeable) that

They went in as boys and came out men
Their

# Self confidence

# Motivation

# Self discipline

# Dependability

# And ability to care for themselves was very noticeable to their peers.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I like to think that all British citizens would be only too eager to defend this land from any invaders or attacks but I can't see anyone (or very few) allowing themselves to be conscripted to fight wars abroad.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I would be all for National Service as long as they wouldn't pack our kids off to risk their lives fighting someone else's fight. National Service with no life threatening, dangerous tours - yes, let's do it.

If politicians and the titled are so up for this, let them prove it by first sending their own kids to their deaths in foreign lands, and leave ours at home.

Whatever politicians and gov ask/expect/demand/dictate of us with regard to any aspect of our lives, they should first lead by example. Don't tell us how to do live/die whilst doing the opposite - show us how. Then we might actually believe it when we're told 'we're all in it together'.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Frankly I find the entire idea appalling.

The fact of the matter is this. If I was my age now, but back in my grandfathers time, I would have volunteered! There wouldnt have had to have been any drafting, I would have just shown up and demanded to know which behinds to place my boots upon, with great vigour and enthusiasm I might add.

But the government of this nation as it stands today do not deserve my support, the deeds they have the armed services doing, do not benifit my nation, and infact make things more risky for our country. When one joins the armed forces of the UK, one swears various oaths. I take the taking of an oath very seriously, which is why I will NEVER join the armed forces of the UK, until its leadership can be shown to be morally sound, much more so than the current lot, or for that matter the bunch of entitled prigs that were New Labour.

Until my government promises that never again will my nation invade another with any intent or possibility of recouping monies via private military contracting, that my nation will never again under armour, under equip, over extend and over cut the services themselves, until my government promises that its armed services will only be used against ARMIES not cell based militant groups (which should be the responsibility of the intelligence services to deal with, SOLELY, and above all silently), until I KNOW all those things to be true, I will never serve the government of my country in war.

I believe our military actions over the last twenty years to have been largely in the service of profit, rather than peace, and that cannot stand, and is something I cannot be party to.

If however, a time should come when an enemy so vast, so powerful, so numerous and so deviant that it threatens world wide, military invasion (like it did the last time there was a fight worth fighting) comes to light, then I will be there with bells on, teeth sharpened, and eagre to show darkness the colour of its own organs. Other than that, I garuntee the government will lose more men than it could gain if it tries to force me on this.
edit on 19-8-2013 by TrueBrit because: REASONS!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichAwake
Interesting that it's popped up again. Personally If I were to be conscripted (which I would as i'm of age) I'd be somewhat proud to "serve my country", and I feel the there are a lot of late teens and young 20 somethings in this country where National Service would kick them into touch, and make them realise there is more to this world than their next night out/handbags/shoes/flat screen tvs...

I've met a few people in my time who have said that national service was the best thing they'd ever done, with regards to life experiences and personal development, and I wonder why it was ever scrapped, cause our bad kids are REALLY bad.

Why wait? Why not join right up? I'm sure you will love it. See the world. Lose a limb. kill some kids.
rape some woman! Just like Saturday night!
I will never understand what is so great about serving the federal reserves war machine!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Well i for one will NOT be conscripted no matter what the circumstances.

i am not the property of the feking state!

but it wont happen anyhow as the uk gov couldn't afford the costs of the housing and training
such a large group of people not to mention having enough instructors to do it!

its not the 1940's anymore.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Not going to happen? Not really real that, Private Members Bill? About 11% of all Private Members Bills receive Royal Assent and become law (compared to about 95% of government bills). Like Giles Brendeth's Marriage Bill, a National Service Bill would be populist (see some of the comments in this Thread!!) and so to those that think it won't happen, I wouldn't be so sure!

I see some form of conscription being Phase 3 of the Workfare Programme.

We have had phase 1, all those unemployed for over a year working for bus fare under threat of draconian penalty for non-compliance. We have had phase 2, 'welfare reform' and it's penury. Next will be the draft.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by teapot
Not going to happen? Not really real that, Private Members Bill? About 11% of all Private Members Bills receive Royal Assent and become law (compared to about 95% of government bills). Like Giles Brendeth's Marriage Bill, a National Service Bill would be populist (see some of the comments in this Thread!!) and so to those that think it won't happen, I wouldn't be so sure!

I see some form of conscription being Phase 3 of the Workfare Programme.

We have had phase 1, all those unemployed for over a year working for bus fare under threat of draconian penalty for non-compliance. We have had phase 2, 'welfare reform' and it's penury. Next will be the draft.

Still wont happen between health n safety regs lack of staff and finance it will never happen on any kind of
scale that would make a difference.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
edit on 20-8-2013 by uncommitted because: Point around the difference between conscription and National Service age covered by others.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
thank you to every one who replied to this thread it was my first one in ages

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
A video on the Subject...being discussed again on the 06/09/2013.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Twenty years huh?...Like Hell...Try ninety years!...Read "War Is A Racket" by Smedley Butler.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
So what happened yesterday with the 'conscription' effort in parliament?

I have my doubts that any UK govt could bring conscription in especially since the history and origins of WW1 is taught so efficiently in UK school and people are well aware, as a whole, that money is the purpose of war and very rarely anything else!
edit on 7-9-2013 by Elliot because: grammar

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Currently this is not our war and certainly not one for the youth, our best hope for the future, to be wasted on!

Every generation has those that one thinks Ah! National Service would do you good and perhaps if the courts thought that way to, it would help these kids by giving them a routine, responsibilities and most importantly training/trade or a second chance at education when perhaps they are better disposed towards learning.

This current crock of horror is a Sunni/Shia problem that has existed for centuries. Its also about oil reserves in the Golan Hights which is technically Syrian, pipelines running here and there, the profits the armourers make and Saudi and Israeli control of all the Middle Eastern oil.

Yes, suddenly the refugee situation has had a light shined on it and, I am please to see the UK giving foreign aid where it can do some good (if it gets to the right people) but its taken rather too long for any leader to claim compassion and concern for these poor people.

The only time Cameron and his ilk are threatened by civil uprising to threaten their status and chattels such as property etc is when they will fund a group of trained thuglike automatons to protect their luxurious-living behinds and conscription will be their only way. Not many volunteers I suspect

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I spent my sixteenth birthday in the British Army (REME) and I think it did me the power of good. I see so many young people here hanging around street corners doing nothing and I reckon a stint in the Armed Forces would help them get their self respect back and teach them a lot.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

scotsdavy1
I spent my sixteenth birthday in the British Army (REME) and I think it did me the power of good. I see so many young people here hanging around street corners doing nothing and I reckon a stint in the Armed Forces would help them get their self respect back and teach them a lot.
did you ever get to meet kitten when you were in kevin love was his name as you point out davy it would do this generation the world of good and get them out of their beds i would recommend it to any young lad . how long did you do in

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join