It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Dawkins is a super coward

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I have got half way through this post and have got to say as a historian there is no proof that Jesus either the man or the son of God existed. I just had to add that and now I am going to finish the rest of the post.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sdb93awd

Science and Religion are not mutually exclusive. It isn't an either/or proposition and they both require faith.

Religon and Science both change over time with new discoveries and insights.

Gods change over time, Scientific worldviews change over time. Science and religion were, at one time, the same thing. A system for explaining the unknown.

Your title is a purely ad hominen attack on a person and is a poor point to start any discussion of an idea. Talk to the idea not the person presenting it.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

sdb93awd
reply to post by windword

As a cynical person myself, I've exhausted every avenue of research into the legitimacy of my faith.

I've never come up empty. In fact, it's becoming more and more clear to me that atheists are coming up empty...........

That's it - you've never come up empty - your Faith - not anybody elses. Everyone has their own object of faith - their own God if you will. Even people in the same religious denomination have an entirely personal/subjective concept of a deity.

On page 29 of the Book "Words Can Change Your Brian:..." by Andrew New Berg and Mark Robert Waldman. A collaboration between a Business Communications Professor and a Neuroscientist is the following quote about "God":

Let's take, for example, the word "God." In our research we queried thousands of people, using a variety of surveys and questionnaires, and discovered that 90 percent of the respondents had definitions that differed significantly from everyone else. Even people who came from the same religious or spiritual background had fundamentally unique perceptions of what this word means. An for the most part, they never realized that the person they were talking to about God had something entirely different in mind.

A God of some sort, perhaps science, exists in each of us. It, the concept of God, doesn't exist outside of us nor can it be imposed on us from outside. As you have found, for yourself, it is your experience, your ideas, your prayers, that have lead to your faith, now allow other that same "Free Will".

My experience is that those who try to impose their idea of God, their way of faith on others are not all that sure of their own faith. True faith doesn't require approval, it acts quietly, humbly and consistantly. People of deep faith know they don't have all the answers, they just know what works for them.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

Not intended to be, it's just that 56% seemed like a very specific number. I was expecting something a response more like "a quarter" or "a half". I'm a scientist, so when I see a number that exact when asking for an approximation, I automatically question how it was arrived at. Sorry if it came off as sarcastic, but I was genuinely interested if you had done some kind of calculation to arrive at it.

It's probably actually pretty close.

This is the argument given by everyone who has ever engaged in a "no true Scotsman" fallacy. It doesn't make your reasoning of what constitutes a TRUE Christian any less fallacious or your estimation of what constitutes a TRUE Christian any more objective.

Scriptural Christian beliefs are not really up for debate. That's what makes scripture so great.

If it is clear, then why are there 40,000 sects that self identify as Christianity? If it is clear, then why, in your own estimation, are there about a billion Christians on this planet right now that aren't really Christians? If it is clear, then why can't you simply point the unTRUE Christians to a part of the Bible, have them read it, and convert them to TRUE Christians?

The Catholic religion is enormous and powerful and intertwined throughout the power structures around the world. They keep their members in the dark and use their firmly established power to maintain this control.........just like any powerful institution would

Why do people still vote D or R? It's as clear as day that they are both ruining our country and stealing our "sciptural" rights(constitution).

Given that there's no consensus of what is and what is not a scripturally sound Christian, even amongst Christians, the claim that there's any such thing as an "innocent bystander" in the debate rings hollow.

There is strong consensus

Ah, but there are clear ideological differences between Democrats and Republicans on issues of social policy, fiscal policy, foreign policy, etc. There is no scripture for Democrats and Republicans to fall back on and proclaim as the truth. They at least admit (for the most part) that their ideology and dogma are man made.

The point remains. Human institutions are great at manipulation and control. GREAT. Also, people are becoming more and more numb if you know what I mean.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

Are you seriously saying that the New Testament is the key to world peace?

Precisely!

Do I get to be a "TRUE Christian" only if I'm a massochistic, woman-hating, sexually repressed headcase with zero ambition? Sounds like the prelude to a seriously disturbing rape story to me. "TRUE Christians" are into some weird sh*t, I guess. And they claim the gays are the sexually defective ones. Sigh.

I love women, as do all the Christian men that I associate with. Additionally, none of them are being held in the religion against their will.....

The Christian women in my life represent what women should be and they are ecstatic about the lives that they lead. If they weren't, why would they remain so devout and strong in their belief?

They are shining examples of femininity and I've never heard ONE of them claim to be repressed.

How many Christian women do you see protesting their own faith? How many Christian women are being held in the religion against their free will?

I'd just like to add that I'm not sexually repressed and I do have ambition. You sound a bit ignorant.
edit on 24-9-2013 by sdb93awd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by adamtash

I have got half way through this post and have got to say as a historian there is no proof that Jesus either the man or the son of God existed. I just had to add that and now I am going to finish the rest of the post.

Almost every single historian will tell you that Jesus of Nazereth was real.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

They might claim that in ancient Palestine a wandering and preaching Jew called something like Jesus might have existed, but not the super powered son of god that's also his own father that created and rules the universe....and hates shellfish...

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

FyreByrd
Science and Religion are not mutually exclusive. It isn't an either/or proposition and they both require faith.

Religon and Science both change over time with new discoveries and insights.

Gods change over time, Scientific worldviews change over time. Science and religion were, at one time, the same thing. A system for explaining the unknown.

Your title is a purely ad hominen attack on a person and is a poor point to start any discussion of an idea. Talk to the idea not the person presenting it.

You can't be more wrong. Science is collection of proven facts and theories made by those facts. It is process of learning on all fields.

Religion on other hand is collection of unproven stories that are incompatible with science and almost all the time proven wrong by the same science.

How conflicting 'word of the God is', you can see from beginning of Bible, genesis - Chapter 1 - god created world, first man and women (Adam and Eve), where in next chapter he creates man, and later after he got bored he creates him women out of his ribs. Try to prove that with science... except that it proves that those 2 stories are conflicting and therefore false.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Prezbo369

They might claim that in ancient Palestine a wandering and preaching Jew called something like Jesus might have existed, but not the super powered son of god that's also his own father that created and rules the universe....and hates shellfish...

The fact remains that Jesus walked the earth. I was refuting an earlier comment about Jesus' historocity.

Historians aren't in the business of claiming deities. They are in the business of history.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

Religion on other hand is collection of unproven stories that are incompatible with science and almost all the time proven wrong by the same science.

More ignorance relating to "religion"(man-made). I can't think of one scientific fact that goes against the Bible itself.

The Bible, on the other hand, seems to have known things about the earth and its creation long before science discovered such things.

How conflicting 'word of the God is', you can see from beginning of Bible, genesis - Chapter 1 - god created world, first man and women (Adam and Eve), where in next chapter he creates man, and later after he got bored he creates him women out of his ribs. Try to prove that with science... except that it proves that those 2 stories are conflicting and therefore false. )

Even more ignorance on your behalf. Read the creation account again. You are just simply incorrect.

"Adam" was created, and THEN "Eve"

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Could somebody please make sense of why Dawkins is afraid of anybody other than young earth creationists or Catholic clergymen?

I have yet to see anything that would show that he is open to a more advanced intellectual discussion about origins with any formidable apologist.

Maybe it's because he's trying to destroy Christianity and he doesn't want any real opposition?

It's easy to attack the lowest common denominators of a particular group and ignore the real adversaries to a given point.

It's another thing to call out the leaders and knowledgeable members of a particular group, which Dr. Craig is attempting to do with Dawkins.

Looks like a coward, talks like a coward, maybe he is a coward...........or maybe he just doesn't want to get humiliated so he can still sell ignorance-based books!

edit on 25-9-2013 by sdb93awd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

sdb93awd
More ignorance relating to "religion"(man-made). I can't think of one scientific fact that goes against the Bible itself.

Please watch this video, jump to 3:30 and tell me do you agree or not.

Scientific facts that goes against bible - virgin birth, 1000 year old humans, Noah ark, world old only 6.5K years, people and dinosaurs lived together without single piece of evidence...

sdb93awd
The Bible, on the other hand, seems to have known things about the earth and its creation long before science discovered such things.

What things? Can you please show as facts from bible proven facts from bible about earth and its creation.

sdb93awd
Even more ignorance on your behalf. Read the creation account again. You are just simply incorrect.

"Adam" was created, and THEN "Eve"

Do you even know what ignorance means?

Genesis 1:27

So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

Genesis 2:21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs[g] and then closed up the place with flesh.

22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib[h] he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

Please read your Bible. This is happening after God got tired, and rested in first chapter.

It is not easy to discuss science with delusional people, that is what Richard said many times.

I would not be surprised if Pope changes church stance regarding age of earth and flood... We will see if he addresses issues...
edit on 25-9-2013 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Scientific facts that goes against bible - virgin birth, 1000 year old humans, Noah ark, world old only 6.5K years, people and dinosaurs lived together without single piece of evidence...

-The Bible does not dictate a young earth
-Science cannot prove or disprove divine intervention
-The Bible does not say that man lived with dinosaurs
-Noahs ark has the perfect dimensions for seaworthiness. How did he come up with that when ships of that size weren't even considered at the time?

What things? Can you please show as facts from bible proven facts from bible about earth and its creation.

It is He who sits above the circle of the earth...(Isaiah 40:22)

He stretches out the north over empty space; he hangs the earth on nothing (Job 26:7)

Can you bind the cluster of the Pleiades, Or loose the belt of Orion?” (Job 38:31)-gravitational forces

Solomon described a "cycle" of air currents two thousand years before scientists "discovered" them. "The wind goes toward the south, and turns about unto the north; it whirls about continually, and the wind returns again according to his circuits" (Ecclesiastes 1:6).

The great biological truth concerning the importance of blood in our body’s mechanism has been fully comprehended only in recent years. Up until 120 years ago, sick people were "bled," and many died because of the practice. If you lose your blood, you lose your life. Yet Leviticus 17:11, written 3,000 years ago, declared that blood is the source of life: "For the life of the flesh is in the blood."

The water cycle keeps the land watered. Job 36:27, 28, Ecclesiastes 1:7, Amos 5.8

Man’s body is composed of the same materials as the earth. Genesis 2:7, 3:19, Psalm 103:14*

The stars are incredibly distant from the earth and cannot be numbered. Job 22:12, Genesis 15:5, Jeremiah 33:22

The Bible specifies the perfect dimensions for a stable water vessel (Genesis 6:15). Ship builders today are well aware that the ideal dimension for ship stability is a length six times that of the width. Keep in mind, God told Noah the ideal dimensions for the ark 4,500 years ago.

Oceans contain springs (Job 38:16). The ocean is very deep. Almost all the ocean floor is in total darkness and the pressure there is enormous. It would have been impossible for Job to have explored the "springs of the sea." Until recently, it was thought that oceans were fed only by rivers and rain. Yet in the 1970s, with the help of deep diving research submarines that were constructed to withstand 6,000 pounds-per-square-inch pressure, oceanographers discovered springs on the ocean floors!

There are mountains on the bottom of the ocean floor (Jonah 2:5-6). Only in the last century have we discovered that there are towering mountains and deep trenches in the depths of the sea.

The Bible states that God created life according to kinds (Genesis 1:24). The fact that God distinguishes kinds, agrees with what scientists observe – namely that there are horizontal genetic boundaries beyond which life cannot vary. Life produces after its own kind.

Scripture assumes a revolving (spherical) earth (Luke 17:34-36)

The continents were created as one large land mass (Genesis 1:9-10). Many geologists agree there is strong evidence that the earth was originally one super continent – just as the Bible said way back in Genesis.

Want more?

Do you even know what ignorance means?

In my Bible, chapter 2 is a more in depth account of day 6 of creation.

Note that "day" does not mean 24hr day. It usually means "period of time".

It is not easy to discuss science with delusional people

Can you show me where I've disagreed with science?

edit on 26-9-2013 by sdb93awd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

It is He who sits above the circle of the earth...(Isaiah 40:22)

Of course, this couldn't be an obeservation based on the moon and the sun being circles!?

He stretches out the north over empty space; he hangs the earth on nothing (Job 26:7)

Just like the moon and the sun appear to be hung on nothing

Can you bind the cluster of the Pleiades, Or loose the belt of Orion?” (Job 38:31)-gravitational forces

No not gravitational forces. They thought the constellations and star were actual beings.

Solomon described a "cycle" of air currents two thousand years before scientists "discovered" them. "The wind goes toward the south, and turns about unto the north; it whirls about continually, and the wind returns again according to his circuits" (Ecclesiastes 1:6).

Not to hard to ovserve that wind comes from different directions, and then to assume that the wind itself is a spiritual thing that returns from where is came. Just superstition, not science.

The great biological truth concerning the importance of blood in our body’s mechanism has been fully comprehended only in recent years. Up until 120 years ago, sick people were "bled," and many died because of the practice. If you lose your blood, you lose your life. Yet Leviticus 17:11, written 3,000 years ago, declared that blood is the source of life: "For the life of the flesh is in the blood."

They used to kill animals by hanging them upside down, cut their throats and draining their blood. Not hard to figure out that animals and men can bleed to death. But it wasn't until several hundred years after the death of Jesus that science discovered that the heart pumps blood.

The water cycle keeps the land watered. Job 36:27, 28, Ecclesiastes 1:7, Amos 5.8

Evaporation is easily observed

Man’s body is composed of the same materials as the earth. Genesis 2:7, 3:19, Psalm 103:14*

Decomposition of bodies, returning to the earth, is easy to observe and doesn't take a God to explain.

The stars are incredibly distant from the earth and cannot be numbered. Job 22:12, Genesis 15:5, Jeremiah 33:22

Stars to many to number, observable. Ancient men thought that the stars were beings that lived in the heavens with God. There's nothing that describes the actual distance in those scriptures, other than they're high up.

The Bible specifies the perfect dimensions for a stable water vessel (Genesis 6:15). Ship builders today are well aware that the ideal dimension for ship stability is a length six times that of the width. Keep in mind, God told Noah the ideal dimensions for the ark 4,500 years ago.

Oceans contain springs (Job 38:16). The ocean is very deep. Almost all the ocean floor is in total darkness and the pressure there is enormous. It would have been impossible for Job to have explored the "springs of the sea." Until recently, it was thought that oceans were fed only by rivers and rain. Yet in the 1970s, with the help of deep diving research submarines that were constructed to withstand 6,000 pounds-per-square-inch pressure, oceanographers discovered springs on the ocean floors!

There's too much wrong with the story of Noah to even list here!

There are mountains on the bottom of the ocean floor (Jonah 2:5-6). Only in the last century have we discovered that there are towering mountains and deep trenches in the depths of the sea.

It doesn't say there are mountains on the ocean floor. It says that Jonah was in the deep, at the bottom of the mountains. How hard is that to understand?

The Bible states that God created life according to kinds (Genesis 1:24). The fact that God distinguishes kinds, agrees with what scientists observe – namely that there are horizontal genetic boundaries beyond which life cannot vary. Life produces after its own kind.

Actually, the Bible gets this wrong. Among other mis-classified animals are bats being called birds, and whales and dolphins classified as fishes.

Scripture assumes a revolving (spherical) earth (Luke 17:34-36)

I tell you, on that night two people will be in one bed; one will be taken and the other left. 35 Two women will be grinding grain together; one will be taken and the other left.”

How does this relate to a rotating planet? Ancient people thought the sun and moon revolved around the earth.

The continents were created as one large land mass (Genesis 1:9-10). Many geologists agree there is strong evidence that the earth was originally one super continent – just as the Bible said way back in Genesis.

I'd be more impressed if plate tectonics were mentioned.

edit on 26-9-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Of course, this couldn't be an obeservation based on the moon and the sun being circles!?

Science didn't figure that out until ~1500 a.d.

Just like the moon and the sun appear to be hung on nothing

Scientists thought the earth was flat for a loooong time. How can something flat be hung on nothing?

No not gravitational forces. They thought the constellations and star were actual beings

No. No they didn't. There is simply nothing in the entire text that states, or even implies such nonsense.

Not to hard to ovserve that wind comes from different directions, and then to assume that the wind itself is a spiritual thing that returns from where is came. Just superstition, not science.

The book of Ecclesiastes was written about 3,000 years ago. It took a French mathematician named Coeriolis, who died in 1843, to study and identify wind circuits. What Coeriolis discovered supported the Bible statement in Ecclesiastes, not just in one way, but in three ways.

First notice the Bible said wind goes south and turns about unto the north. Coeriolis found the wind goes clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere, and then turns about and goes counter clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere! Named for him, the Coriolis effect is very important in understanding wind and ocean currents.

Second, are there in fact wind circuits? The World Book Encyclopedia has a diagram showing the known wind systems, or circuits. Their diagram is a map of the earth with little arrows showing the location and direction of each wind circuit. How many are there? Their diagram has plotted 28 circuits!

But there's more. You have heard your local TV weather personalities refer to the "jet stream" and how it affects your local weather. Jet streams do exist. They too have established circuits. The jet streams have winds at speeds of up to 200 mph. World War II pilots first discovered them.

Third, the Bible said the wind whirls about continually. How could an observer on the ground possibly know that? In fact at ground level the wind blows the very opposite of continually. But obviously the higher winds do. If they didn't, the encyclopedia could not diagram 28 of their circuits.

Ecclesiastes 1:6 made no sense in 1,000 BC, and no sense for 2,800 years until the research of Coeriolis in the early 1800s.

That Bible statement about the winds written 3,000 years ago, was against all logic, all that was known at the time. I submit to you that this correct knowledge, this scientifically accurate picture, came from something or someone higher than man; it was divinely inspired.

They used to kill animals by hanging them upside down, cut their throats and draining their blood. Not hard to figure out that animals and men can bleed to death. But it wasn't until several hundred years after the death of Jesus that science discovered that the heart pumps blood.

A megatheme in the Bible is the healing power of blood. Science didn't figure this out until very recently.

Evaporation is easily observed

The water cycle was not fully understood until about 30 B.C. by a Roman engineer named Marcus Vitruvius. Yet every aspect of the water cycle was fully revealed to mankind in 1600 B.C.

Ancient people thought that the water from rivers flowing into oceans spilled over the ends of the earth. On the other hand, Ecclesiastes 1:7 says, "All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full. To the place the streams come from, there they return again." This shows the Bible's unexpected accuracy.

Decomposition of bodies, returning to the earth, is easy to observe and doesn't take a God to explain.

Science didn't figure that out until a couple hundred years ago

Stars to many to number, observable. Ancient men thought that the stars were beings that lived in the heavens with God. There's nothing that describes the actual distance in those scriptures, other than they're high up.

The number of stars is certainly not observable from Earth.

There's too much wrong with the story of Noah to even list here!

How did Noah know the perfect dimensions?

It doesn't say there are mountains on the ocean floor. It says that Jonah was in the deep, at the bottom of the mountains. How hard is that to understand?

---Jonah is clearly underwater here.

For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.

4 Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.

5 The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.

6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God.

Actually, the Bible gets this wrong. Among other mis-classified animals are bats being called birds, and whales and dolphins classified as fishes.

The Bible doesn't attempt to classify animals. What are you talking about?

This is the tip of the iceberg and we haven't even talked about Biblical prophecy; which is nothing short of astonishing..........it's either God, aliens, or the best world domination plan ever conceived and executed over ~4000 years

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Me: Of course, this couldn't be an obeservation based on the moon and the sun being circles!?

You: Science didn't figure that out until ~1500 a.d.

DUH! The sun and the moon ARE circles that appear to hang on nothing. There's nothing to indicate that they thought the earth was a sphere, not a disc.

No not gravitational forces. They thought the constellations and star were actual beings

No. No they didn't. There is simply nothing in the entire text that states, or even implies such nonsense.

Oh come on! Lucifer was a fallen star!

Isaiah 14:12
How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!

Fallen angels, were fallen stars.

As far as the wind.........

John 3:8
The wind blows wherever it wants. Just as you can hear the wind but can't tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can't explain how people are born of the Spirit."

How come Jesus didn't know about the trade winds, doldrums, prevailing westerlies, prevailing easterlies or the polar easterlies?

A megatheme in the Bible is the healing power of blood. Science didn't figure this out until very recently.

Every ancient culture had some sort of blood worship!

"All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full.

All you need to do is stand on a high mountain to observe that!

Please! The cave men knew about decomposition! LOL!

Ancient Egyptians were embalming their dead, to prevent decomposition, before the Bible was even dreamed up.

The number of stars is certainly not observable from Earth.

True, but the number of stars that could be observed, before the advent of light pollution, couldn't be counted.

How did Noah know the perfect dimensions?

Perfect? LOL! Hardly. That story is so full of holes........

I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God.

Erm, CAVES!!!!

The Bible doesn't attempt to classify animals. What are you talking about?

You said:

The Bible says that bats and birds are the same kind. They aren't. The Bible says that whales and dolphins are kinds of fish, they aren't.

The Bible can't account for dinosaurs evolving to birds, fish to amphibians, etc.

edit on 26-9-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

sdb93awd
In my Bible, chapter 2 is a more in depth account of day 6 of creation.

Note that "day" does not mean 24hr day. It usually means "period of time".

In your Bible? So now you have your own bible, and here I was under impression that Bible is word of God, not you?!

Where does it say that chapter 2 is in depth account of day 6?? You reading between lines? Show it, or didn't happen.

Day on EARTH does mean 24 hours day. Are you trying to tell me that he, who created everything did not know how long is a day??

Did you watch the video? What do you think about Vatican Astronomer? Are you bigger Christian then him? Did you notice difference between spiritual religion (what he and priests are teaching) and this fundamentalist try to prove bible being all-knowing book.

Where in Bible you found 'ages'.... nothing like that is anywhere - Adam was created on sixth day, yet we found fossils of dinosaurs, when did that happen?

I hope you really don't think all that none sense you mentioned in rest of your post. If that is the case, I can tell you - schooling system did fail for you and I am really sorry.

Wonder if you know what for Islam, religion that flourished with knowledge @ the time we had so called middle ages, meant going back to fundamental teaching. Why all countries where Islam is dominant religion are like 2 centuries behind rest of the world... Do you wish the same for us?
edit on 26-9-2013 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Fallen angels, were fallen stars.

First of all, nothing in stated or implied scripture refers to constellations as living entities(your original point)

Secondly, the Bible accurately predicted the gravitational forces that are mentioned within these constellations.

You are really reaching with your Lucifer reference. That says nothing about your original point which was: "They thought constellations were actual beings". There is nothing in the Bible that mentions constellations or stars as biological entities.

How come Jesus didn't know about the trade winds, doldrums, prevailing westerlies, prevailing easterlies or the polar easterlies?

Think about his audience. All he said was that they couldn't tell. And we still really can't......it's very dynamic.

Every ancient culture had some sort of blood worship

This isn't blood worship. A megatheme of the Bible is the healing power of blood. This is in direct agreement with recent scientific discoveries about healing and such. The gospels speak of being saved by the "blood" of Jesus. The whole thing revolves around the power of blood.

People didn't know this a hundred years ago, let alone 5000 years ago.

All you need to do is stand on a high mountain to observe that!

You must have missed the greater point referring to water cycles. It isn't simply just that particular observation.

Please! The cave men knew about decomposition! LOL!

This isn't about decomposition. It's about what people are comprised of and science did not even know what the earth was made of 500 years ago, let alone people.

True, but the number of stars that could be observed, before the advent of light pollution, couldn't be counted.

Sure they could've. Either way though it was clearly a finite amount that was visible.

Perfect? LOL! Hardly. That story is so full of holes

How did Noah know the perfect dimensions for seaworthiness? These were direct instructions from God.

Erm, CAVES

Erm, HUH?

The Bible can't account for dinosaurs evolving to birds, fish to amphibians, etc.

Neither can science. That part of evolution is not "fact".

The darwinistic mechanisms have limits.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

In your Bible? So now you have your own bible, and here I was under impression that Bible is word of God, not you?!

Yea, I do own a Bible

Where does it say that chapter 2 is in depth account of day 6?? You reading between lines? Show it, or didn't happen.

A book doesn't always explicitly state the direction it's headed in. Sometimes comprehension can help clear things up.

Day on EARTH does mean 24 hours day. Are you trying to tell me that he, who created everything did not know how long is a day??

This is a matter of translation from Hebrew. The "day" in the original Hebrew isn't referring to a literal 24 hr day. Do research.

Did you watch the video? What do you think about Vatican Astronomer? Are you bigger Christian then him? Did you notice difference between spiritual religion (what he and priests are teaching) and this fundamentalist try to prove bible being all-knowing book.

Couldnt watch it but a Christian is a Christian. Nobody is "bigger".

Where in Bible you found 'ages'.... nothing like that is anywhere - Adam was created on sixth day, yet we found fossils of dinosaurs, when did that happen?

You must do more research on translations from Hebrew in the Genesis account. The young earth idea isn't dictated and the Bible does not mention man and dinosaurs living together.

I hope you really don't think all that none sense you mentioned in rest of your post. If that is the case, I can tell you - schooling system did fail for you and I am really sorry.

I'd put my intellect up against yours any day of the week. I do just fine for myself and I have great hope; thanks to not only these truths, but the countless other truths found in the word of God.

Wonder if you know what for Islam, religion that flourished with knowledge @ the time we had so called middle ages, meant going back to fundamental teaching. Why all countries where Islam is dominant religion are like 2 centuries behind rest of the world... Do you wish the same for us?

The "fundamental" teachings that you refer to are of human institutional origins in order to control wealth and power.

If every country and person on this earth followed the New Testament scripture as a way to live, we would all be in paradise. I'm not condoning any sort of "inquisistions"(a despicable, man-made way of gaining power and money), but the truth will not be held in secret from me. I will lovingly attempt to spread the gospel of Christ for as long as I live and I know I'm right for doing so. I'm trying to spread love, and love only.

How can unconditional love on all fronts lead to anything bad? Evil wouldn't exist......

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
You are really that ignorant and delusional??

For thousand's time - science proved evolution many times. It is well proven theory.
What do you think, why biblical scholar from Vatican (in video I added to this discussion before) disagree with your views, and religion is his life - he devoted all his life for religion?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join