It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA establishes $60 million data analytics lab at NC State

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Well Well Well.... I guess Google isn't the only thing making direct partnerships with the NSA. I'm a little disappointed to see a University literally allow them a building on campus though.

RALEIGH — As the field of “big data” continues to grow in importance, N.C. State University has landed a big coup – a major lab for the study of data analysis, funded by the National Security Agency.

A $60.75 million grant from the NSA is the largest research grant in NCSU’s history – three times bigger than any previous award.

The Laboratory for Analytic Sciences will be launched in a Centennial Campus building that will be renovated with money from the federal agency, but details about the facility are top secret. Those who work in the lab will be required to have security clearance from the U.S. government.
Source

So... Let me see if I understand how this works. Universities balk and protest at things like Military Recruiters even walking on campus, let alone ROTC. Not everywhere, but plenty of stories run regularly to remind us that this is very much the norm around the nation. Yet, heck, an Agency supposedly prohibited from domestic operations, moves right on into a proper building on campus of a State University.

Wow... At least the CIA stations in the 60's were covert and somewhat low key. They didn't pretty much hang their sign right over the door. "Spook Hall". Interesting how this all seems to work these days. At least they're paying their own way to be there...it sounds.

Thoughts?

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well seen the rats are out of the nest now they know that is not reason to keep a low profile, I will not be surprised that all this increases in funding and new labs around the nation specially in Universities are funded and financed by private interest corruption that we know are behind the NSA data mining for profit purposes.

Welcome to the new and improve corporate dictatorship of the USA.

I been saying that we are a corporate dictatorship for years, now Is not reason why not to believe is truth.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Wrabbit if this link right will give you a idea how big the nsa is.

NSA MAP

Use the zoom on the bottom to get a close up of the map.

reply to post by marg6043

They do seem to be doing what they want but with the backing of secret courts and ruling
the nsa is untouchable.
edit on 17/8/2013 by skuly because: adding

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by skuly
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Wrabbit if this link right will give you a idea how big the nsa is.

NSA MAP

Use the zoom on the bottom to get a close up of the map.

reply to post by marg6043

They do seem to be doing what they want but with the backing of secret courts and ruling
the nsa is untouchable.
edit on 17/8/2013 by skuly because: adding

That is a pretty accurate map.

They used to have Directorates A thru Z. They may have consolidated some of them in the last few years.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by wrabbit2000
Well Well Well.... I guess Google isn't the only thing making direct partnerships with the NSA. I'm a little disappointed to see a University literally allow them a building on campus though.

RALEIGH — As the field of “big data” continues to grow in importance, N.C. State University has landed a big coup – a major lab for the study of data analysis, funded by the National Security Agency.

A $60.75 million grant from the NSA is the largest research grant in NCSU’s history – three times bigger than any previous award.

The Laboratory for Analytic Sciences will be launched in a Centennial Campus building that will be renovated with money from the federal agency, but details about the facility are top secret. Those who work in the lab will be required to have security clearance from the U.S. government.
Source

So... Let me see if I understand how this works. Universities balk and protest at things like Military Recruiters even walking on campus, let alone ROTC. Not everywhere, but plenty of stories run regularly to remind us that this is very much the norm around the nation. Yet, heck, an Agency supposedly prohibited from domestic operations, moves right on into a proper building on campus of a State University.

Wow... At least the CIA stations in the 60's were covert and somewhat low key. They didn't pretty much hang their sign right over the door. "Spook Hall". Interesting how this all seems to work these days. At least they're paying their own way to be there...it sounds.

Thoughts?

Money talks, what college wouldn't like a nice big, fat grant?

NSA has been involved in academia for quite a long time. They've been running the Mathematics Education Partnership Program in the DC/Baltimore area for about 20 years. It caters to K-12 kids.

Here's the catalog with cute little cartoon characters and everything:
www.nsa.gov...

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

That is SO pathetic I want to scream. Everything in that material..I mean everything takes on a darker and more sinister connotation. How ugly. Even the number counting. geometry and sorting they say ought to be focused on and sounds good in ALMOST any context .....is just wrong when coming from them to low grade levels. I don't need an imagination to know why the skills are important to instill young to build naturally from there.

I couldn't have imagined seeing a top level Intelligence agency supporting my school material and outright branding it for the love of all that's reasonable! W
W

edit on 18-8-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join