It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Artilect War. Hugo's Nightmare. (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Greetings ATS!!!

Mr Mask here with a little video I made a day ago. I make videos for a small youtube channel that features video-game commentary. About once a month I do a science or conspiracy subject and when I do I share it here. Today I bring to you "Hugo de Garis' Nightmare".

Professor Hugo de Garis is an expert in the field of A.I development and has worked for various governments helping to design the framework for artificial intelligence. He truly believes machines will soon acquire the ability to think and become self aware by the end of this century. He also thinks that this will result in a worldwide war he calls "The Artilect War".

"Artilects" is a term Hugo invented in his book "The Artilect War: Cosmists Vs. Terrans: A Bitter Controversy Concerning Whether Humanity Should Build Godlike Massively Intelligent Machines" (long title, right?)

Artilects are his vision of thinking machines with a trillion-trillion times the thinking ability as a normal human. He calls them "God-Like Minds" often.

The video I present details his views on what's to come due to these machines being created. He sees a nightmare where billions die as these God-machines destroy us all and two sides of humanity battle it out in a violent argument over the entire subject of "should Artilects exist".

Hugo says this is almost inevitable and that it will become the hottest debate mankind has ever had, very soon. I do not know If I agree, but this video shows his views.

WARNINGS: The video is audio (with singing) over video-game footage. If you have an inherent hatred for vid-games please do not click. But if you are uninterested in vid-games you may still enjoy the content.

Also, if anyone thinks I am soliciting content this is not true. When I post a vid here I get a handful of views and interesting comments. Far below what I am getting from sponsors and other large sites that feature this type of material. My channel is not in need of free views. I share this here because ATS is my favorite website in the world and I want to add content the crowd here may enjoy.

Lastly, this video is scheduled to to be on front page of EbaumsWorld in the next 2 hours (resulting in tens of thousands of views), meaning I am not looking to advertise here...I am simply adding ATS related content.

I hope you enjoy the video. I know I enjoyed making it.

Here is the vid! AND BIG HUGS!!!

MM
edit on 17-8-2013 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Just featured on front page of Ebaumsworld.

Always an honor to see one of my vids make it on there.

MM

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
He is obviously lot smarter then me but in my opinion there will be no "artilect wars". That very fusion between biology and technology will eliminate any chance of it by replacing Homo Sapiens with completely new form of existence,and it will happen before the rise of AI.
People that would like to stay Homo Sapiens and not follow that path will be in such a minority and so powerless that there would not be any possibility of a real war. Just few Amish-like areas in the middle of one giant post-Human hive of conscience.
Which would be totally different kind of hell.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
He is obviously lot smarter then me but in my opinion there will be no "artilect wars". That very fusion between biology and technology will eliminate any chance of it by replacing Homo Sapiens with completely new form of existence,and it will happen before the rise of AI.
People that would like to stay Homo Sapiens and not follow that path will be in such a minority and so powerless that there would not be any possibility of a real war. Just few Amish-like areas in the middle of one giant post-Human hive of conscience.
Which would be totally different kind of hell.

Good thoughts, but that is actually somewhat what Hugo demands will spark the war. The majority (to begin wit) will see augmented humans gaining vast power and intellect to the point of being overly alien to the normal human condition. And the rise of "that type of man" will scare the crap out of people.

Then he says a xenophobic panic will grow well before A.I is even on the scene, igniting a heated debate that will begin the chaos.

First he says humans begin to sense and see the evolution of tech and its exponential doubling, then humanity starts choosing sides. One side (Terrans) demand it is too dangerous to go further. The other side (Cosmists) demand to NOT build Gods is almost criminal and the largest mistake mankind could make.

From there...war.

I do not agree with much of what he says. But I do think technology will destroy mankind soon.

Thanks for the comment! HUGS!

MM

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Great stuff again MM! Hugo de Garis doesn't trip off the tongue as well as Jacques Vallee though.

While I'm certain that artilects will be created i'm sure that regulations evolved alongside will prevent the nightmare scenario. I think his scenario is an extrapolation too far but it should sell books...

What he doesn't mention is using the artilect to reprogram human dna to produce intellects on par with the artilect.

A pdf abstract of Hugo's book can be found here Link

Also see the BBC documentary Human 2.0 featuring de Garis and Kurzweil bbc youtube
edit on 18/8/2013 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Hey Siff,

I saw this on my youtoob guide cause I subscribed, I hit that like button too I like your work keep it up man

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I don't know why you earthlings, ...er, correction, I mean we earthlings, have such a myopic view on ourselves and abilities. Look at reality this way, as the UFO flies, so goes AI. It stands to reason. Those computers are here, but under the control of a different agency. But then I'm more willing to trust the ETs with god-like super-duper computers than any terrestrial government.

On second thought, as the original short-story version of The Day The Earth Stood Still, hammered home, perhaps those computers are the ones in charge and biological life is a creative hobby for them? That puts a far different perspective on the old Twilight Zone episode of humans being collected for an alien zoo even if the end result is much the same isn't it?

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe
reply to post by Mr Mask

Great stuff again MM! Hugo de Garis doesn't trip off the tongue as well as Jacques Vallee though.

While I'm certain that artilects will be created i'm sure that regulations evolved alongside will prevent the nightmare scenario. I think his scenario is an extrapolation too far but it should sell books...

What he doesn't mention is using the artilect to reprogram human dna to produce intellects on par with the artilect.

A pdf abstract of Hugo's book can be found here Link

Also see the BBC documentary Human 2.0 featuring de Garis and Kurzweil bbc youtube
edit on 18/8/2013 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

First off thanks for the comment, thoughts and kind words. Secondly- Ya I think Vallee is a much more impressive mind to rhyme about any day lol. But I do also enjoy me some Hugo.

I'm with you on thinking Hugo goes too far. Yes I think machines will become intelligent and self aware one day (if we survive as a species without blowing ourselves up or worse), but I also think Hugo sees this coming way sooner than it actually will happen.

I also think the "Artilects" (if we are going to use his term) are going to be a mix between human and computer. I think that is what will make these things dangerous. I can't see a computer mind a trillion times our intellect being jerks. I dunno, I attach destructive behavior to that of animals (like us), and think that a machine wouldn't have the behavioral baggage in the form of violent survival instincts.

I also think Hugo sells this idea for cash, hence the last line I put in the video.

Thanks for linking to his PDF and thanks for your thoughts.

MM

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brotherman
Hey Siff,

I saw this on my youtoob guide cause I subscribed, I hit that like button too I like your work keep it up man

Thanks BROTHERMAN!!!

Great to know you are following the vids I put up. I appreciate the support 100%! I have a lot of fun making these things and without people watching them I would be wasting my time lol.

Big giant hugs to you my friend!

MM

new topics

top topics

join