It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talk Show host Craig Ferguson tells us why the "bar" has been set so low and it makes absolute sen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It's no secret that the quality value of what we see on TV, in movies, and in music, has been gradually declining well since the invention of TV. It's played a major role in dumbing down our youth, and keeping the sheep following the primrose path of the illusionary world. Craig Ferguson tells you how it all began....

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The canned laughter made this, people too bloody stupid to realise that he was talking about them.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyrdnews
The canned laughter made this, people too bloody stupid to realise that he was talking about them.

Canned laughter has never really worked on me so really didn't get why they were laughing at the very beginning. Kind of dumb. However, the way that he explains it is really very cleverly done and I was definitely smirking by the end. A comedians most pertinent role in society is to get society to laugh at itself for the folly of its ways, lol.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Relevant: Eighth Grade Examination for Bullitt County Schools, November, 1912

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
dumb and entertained people ask very few questions

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Folly is a perfect word.

Y

Originally posted by WhiteAlice

Canned laughter has never really worked on me so really didn't get why they were laughing at the very beginning. Kind of dumb. However, the way that he explains it is really very cleverly done and I was definitely smirking by the end. A comedians most pertinent role in society is to get society to laugh at itself for the folly of its ways, lol.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
If we have any hope of turning the worlds future around, we have to get our kids to demand more from those who are trying to reach them. Once we can get our kids to see that the media offers them nothing of value. The media minds will have to raise their game.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
dumb and entertained people ask very few questions

Such is society...

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I am and always have been a fan of Craig's late night show.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonders

Well, not really. But he is an interesting character.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Absolutely love Craig and his show.

He's very much right, in my mind. A lot of society's mess stated in the good ole days period of the 50s. The US was the only country that wasn't even half destroyed in WWII, so we easily moved into the top position (but still always fought with the USSR for whatever "honor" comes with being the self-proclaimed #1). So much happened so fast with our world power and economy, that I think everyday people didn't know what to do and got caught up in the storm of new things and wealth.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
South Park covered this a year ago I believe.

Honey boo boo, James Cameron etc etc.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

You do realize they film this in front of a live audience? Most of these type of shows are.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I do know one thing, we have since the 60's declined educationwise and we are in freefall at the moment.

Our exams at O and A levels are all passed with major star jobs etc but try to get one kid to write a letter or put a plan of action to do a simple task and you have to stop yourself falling about with laughter.

I always assumed it was a government type of conspiracy because we were so well educated that we could write and debate issues and often hold our own. This meant we were not a push-over for government and could see a lot of the tricks they deliberately hid from us. Nowhere does this become so apparent as in the quality of newspaper reporting from that era. You had real investigative journalists and interviewers and tv was able to do brilliant political satire. I watched a comedian programme last night and all the comedian's material was about finding a 'rabbit' on the stage. It was mildly funny but not the slick, brilliant rolling in the isle laughter that late night comedians use to command.

The government didn't like people to be so educated that they could understand what it was doing in their names so it dumbed down our education standard. The tv has been so dumbed down, many of us watch a few programmes and spend the rest of the time on a computer or doing other things, you couldn't watch it for a whole evening, even if you wanted to anymore despite having a number of different channels.

top topics

join