It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question About Crop Circles

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FireMoon
There is an argument to do with what is known as "Natural Magick" that we invest thme with their power so, even though they are man made, they then transcend that simple origin and take on the actual physical aspects that people expect of them.

Can't argue with that. Fairly same page. Brings up myth again and it's relation to reality. WHAT did I say?...I didn't make sense there...but in the sense we're talking; sense is nonsense and vice-versa it seems.

AND, you cheeky bloke...quit tweaking my inner-pagan-child with the Summer Isle stuff. I hope Elke Sommer tortures your dreams and old age!

Can't post it here, but youtube this: The Wicker Man - Willow's Song

BTW: That crop circle timeline is still fairly spotty but, yes, it does paint a better picture than has, so far, been presented, sir.

edit on 17-8-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

The crop was downed in "circleS" with "exactness". It doesn't make one difference how you cut it, this story fits the CC phenomena to a tee.

Or was it a reference to how cut crops were stacked in circular bunches in the days before tractors and balers .

The mowing Devil story is in my view just a story , its more a social commentary or a cautionary tale than a description of Crop Circles .

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Deny, deny, deny.
Whatever helps one sleep better at night I guess.

The Natural History of Staffordshire? Is that just a cautionary tale as well? It is from the same time period.

Whence it being equally plain that I was no longer to enquire for the origin at leaft of thefe larger circles, either from anything under of

ground, it remained that Ifhould look for fome higher principle, and indeed after a long a mature deliberationI could think of none nearer than the middle region: viz that they muft needs be the effects of lightning, exploded from the Clouds, moft times in

circular form; perhaps for this very reafon by the ancient Naturlifts called fulmen difcutiens: though of a vifcous fulpherous confiftenc, yet taking fire

the

breaking

violently

and

wherin it was pen, muft naturally expand itfelf every way obliquely, for the moft part in a uniform conical

diftance

due

at

as

for

manner

become a Corcle and in that form to ftrrike the Earth as may be feen fome times in arable grounds, but chiefly in wide and open pastures,

edit on 18-8-2013 by JayinAR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Im still waiting for the address of the field that magically cuts itself every year lol

Deny all you want, it matches pretty clearly with the modern phenomena.

A very strange statement, we have already established earlier on in this thread the the modern crop circles are all fakes. Now as i predicted in this post you are heading backwards in time to try to save face by claiming any mark ever made in a field not by a farmer MUST be super strange because they didnt know about Doug and Dave. I know you got all upset when you misunderstood the meaning of the phrase delusion logic so maybe logical fallacy would be easier for you to understand.

I want to visit the magical field that cuts itself ever year like you claimed.

edit on 18-8-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

You established this how?
And you know as well as I do I did not mean that particular field. What I meant was that this "folk tale" plays itself out in the same area year after year.
In far greater numbers than anywhere else in the world.
I also provided the time period's equivalent of a scientific journal complete with soil tests, witness testimony, diagrams (to include shapes such as squares within circles and borders suggesting complexity beyond simple circles).

I don't give a damn what you "predicted." I could have predicted a great number of things in this thread.

ETA: furthermore, I am not "heading back in time to save face". My entire participation here save for my initial post has been based on pre Doug and Dave cases. My initial post was a bit tongue in cheek saying a particular glyph was a hell of a hoax.
After that, everything I have posted was an attempt to show the false dichotomy of the OP.

Pot, meet kettle. Delusional logic indeed.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

My entire participation here save for my initial post has been based on pre Doug and Dave cases.

Then why have you tried to link marks made in field's that are pre 1970's to modern phenomena as some kind of validation to your idea that there's something spooky going on after you have repeatedly said that modern man made crop circles are not worth bothering with?

Deny all you want, it matches pretty clearly with the modern phenomena.

Is what you said about an old tale of a field that cut itself after someone made a remark about the devil.

and then later on

Back to Doug and Dave, eh?

I give up. Later fellas.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

No, what I have repeatedly said is that I do not wish to throw OUT modern circles, although I tend not focus on them. We all know that people make them. My question is why.

I think there may be a psychological element at play here.
I'm sorry you can't seem to grasp that. I have stated this repeatedly without directly saying it. I try and stay away from absolute claims here because it is hard to get a grasp on what is going on.

If these older circles are the result of some weird weather phenomena, it is pretty exclusive to the UK and it doesn't account for things like the History of Staffordshire journal I linked (which everyone conveniently ignored
)

ETA: these simple circles, btw, are still found over there every year.

ETA2: I can accept a whirlwind as a cause for a great number of simple circles. Even circles with standing stalks in the center (a well defined whirlwind with an inner wall)... but it gets a little difficult when one considers that some of these simple circles can be up to 150' in diameter. At that point we are dealing with vortices that border on the tornadic and one would expect more than just a single circle.

It also does not account for circles with borders, or circles with squares within... I dunno. It is all strange. But the evidence is right there.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I dont think the older circles can be attributed to any one single thing. It would be wrong to think that it was only weather, or only people messing about in the fields. Also if anyone was to claim that it would be super easy to find one case where circumstances didn't fit and thus shed doubt on an entire theory.

Ive never been sold on the weather theory. I grew up messing around in the country side and i've never seen a 'dust devil' or mini tornado. I know a lot of them happen just as it goes to night time and they only last for a few seconds.

What i have seen is lots of people messing around in framers field from time to time. When crops are over 3 feet you can walk into the center of a field , flatten a bit down and once you are sat down no one can see you or the small circle you have made. from outside the field. Its instant privacy so their are numerous reasons why people would want to do that especially in the past, but not so much these days.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I agree that it is hard to attribute any one cause to the phenomena (or phenomenon perhaps), but the "spooky element" is still there. Consider this excerpt, once again from the History of Staffordshire:

I thought fit to examine the nature of the Soile under the Rims of them,efpecially how it differd from the adjoining earth and found that by digging up feveral that the ground under all of them, was much loofer and dryer then ordinary/, and parts interfperfed with a white hoar or vinew much like that in mouldy bread, of a mufty rancid fmell, but to tafte insipid, and this fcarce anywhere above fix inches deep, the earth again below being of its due confiftence and genuine fmell, agreeable to the reft of the foils thereabout

This man was a professor of chemistry at Oxford. He was intrigued enough to conduct soil samples.

ETA: could these soil changes and changes to the stalks of plants be due to some sort of electro-static effect generated by the short hairs on wheat stalks being rustled violently by winds? Furthermore, could this electro-static effect be responsible for the lightning these people kept reporting?

That's the best I got. But it doesn't fit the geometric shapes found within and without the very same circles.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

I agree that it is hard to attribute any one cause to the phenomena (or phenomenon perhaps), but the "spooky element" is still there. Consider this excerpt, once again from the History of Staffordshire:

I thought fit to examine the nature of the Soile under the Rims of them,efpecially how it differd from the adjoining earth and found that by digging up feveral that the ground under all of them, was much loofer and dryer then ordinary/, and parts interfperfed with a white hoar or vinew much like that in mouldy bread, of a mufty rancid fmell, but to tafte insipid, and this fcarce anywhere above fix inches deep, the earth again below being of its due confiftence and genuine fmell, agreeable to the reft of the foils thereabout

This man was a professor of chemistry at Oxford. He was intrigued enough to conduct soil samples.

The except was written 400 years ago about 'fairy circles' which are patches of plain old grass that we now know are affected by expanding mycelium when they want to expand to new territory by creating mushrooms/ spores.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Oh my god that is so disingenuous.
You didn't read beyond the name attributed to them. Clearly.
This is of course how we know fairy circles today.

But if you had read the material, it is clear to see that he is talking about geometric patterns of flattened crop.
Squares within circles and such.

Good grief.

And not only in a fingle but fometimes in adouble or treble Circle one within the other as was lately shewn to me by my Worthy and ingenious friend John Priauix M.A. in the field between St. Giles Church near Oxonand the garden

Jericho. They are rarely alfo seen of a quadrangular forme,

with another larger of the

kind.

To say these are the fungal type of fairy rings we know today ignores the above text and assumes these people don't know, or neglected to mention, mushrooms in the rings.

ETA2: I mean good grief, he calls some of them mathematically round, some parabollic, and has a drawing of one that is spiralled.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

fairy rings only have mushrooms blooming for a very short time but the rings last for ages because the mushrooms are only the flowering part of the underground fungus.

And here perchance by the way it may be no great digreffion to enquire into the nature and efficient caufe of thofe rings we find in the grass which they commonly call Fairy Circles: Whether they are caufed by Lightening? Or are indeed the Rendez- vouzes of Witches or are the dancing places of thofe little pygmy spirits they call Elves or Fairys?And the rather, becaufe 1.a Question (perhaps by reafon of the difficulty fcarce yet attempted, and 2. becaufe I met with a largeft of their kind ( that perchance were ever heard of ) in this county: one of them shewed me in the grounds between Handsworth Church and Heath being near Forty yards in diameter: and I was told by that ingenoius Gent. (one of the most cordial encouragers of this work) the Worshipful Sir Henry Gough Knight, that there was one in his grounds Pury- Hall but a few years fince

nor is their difference only in the extent of their diameters, they varying alfo in divers other repects, though not proportionably fo much: for I have always obferved that the Rims of thefe circles, from the leaft to the bigeft, are feldom narrower then a foot, or much broader than a yard: some are as bare as a path-way in many parts of them, others of a ruffet finged colour(both of thefe having a greener grafs in the middle) and a third fort of a dark green frefh, the grafs within being of a browner colour; the firft kind feldom less than five or six yards Diameter and the other two of various Magnitudes, and all thes again as well as imperfect, as perfect, some of them obtaining three parts of a circle;, others being Semicircular, some of them Quadrants, and others not above Sextants of their refpective Circles.

Its only rings in grass. Just fairy rings, classic mycelium.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join