It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you live in a “Fourth Amendment Free Zone?”

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
View this map of the United States:

The boarder you seen is effectively a constitution free zone.

Americans continue to lose their Constitutional rights in the name of “security” at a rapid pace. The Second Amendment has been the most obvious, but the First, Fifth and Tenth Amendment are being usurped by the U.S. government in a disturbing trend.

The Fourth Amendment is the most recent in this series. Increasing surveillance – such as New York’s proposal to monitor the streets by camera and save the data, Bloomberg’s “stop and frisk,” the NSA’s snooping programs, and PRISM revelations – has drawn this accusation, and now the Department of Homeland Security has become involved.

In the name of “border security,” a recent report defended the idea of so-called “Fourth Amendment Free Zones” within 100 miles of every border and the ocean.

In these areas, DHS agents can search and examine electronic devices, search through peoples’ belongings, and shake them down, all without probable cause. This effectively suspends the rights of 197 million Americans based on residence alone. This was questioned in 2009, and the DHS agreed to investigate the “civil rights impact” of the practice, but the full report wasn’t released until nearly four years later.

In February 2013, the DHS released an executive summary by its civil rights watchdog concluding that “imposing a requirement that officers have reasonable suspicion in order to conduct a border search of an electronic device would be operationally harmful without concomitant civil rights/civil liberties benefits.” In other words “it’s easier this way.” According to the report, there were 685 electronic device searches from 2009-2010, with a total of 41 seizures. All in all, about 6,500 travelers (2,995 of whom were citizens) have been searched since 2008.

Source

As you can imagine, this infuriates not only many Americans, but a lot of other people, like me the humble Canadian. This provides the US government with the means to exploit me if I choose to be within a few miles of the border or my attempts to cross into the US and enjoy some shopping or whatever.

First it was free speech zones, then no gun zones, now it's ' no right to any privacy at all, ever' zones.

Are Americans getting tired of being trampled on? Is your right to travel not important anymore?

How many more years will Americans put up with the following question:

" Show Me Your Papers"

The last time that nonsense was allowed to continue, a lot of people died and it sparked a world war.

~Tenth

edit on 8/17/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Wow.

I'm literally right inside that tiny little cul-de-sac at the end of the white in New York State.

-begin sarcasm-
Close call!

*Wipes the tiny sweat drop off of his brow.*

-end sarcasm-

edit on 8/17/2013 by TarzanBeta because: sarcasm - I could see how people might not see.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Thats about right.

No coincidence with regards to the nation's worst gun laws.

Though it could be argued with PRISM, SWAT raids and JBT cops, the entire nation could be orange.

The people rejected Ron Paul who could have protected us on a federal level.

Now its up to local communities to fight back and there has been progress.

edit on 17-8-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Wow Tenth. I have to say...I never thought of it quite like that before. Now I really wish I hadn't. That map is downright scary! That's more space and population covered than most nations have in their entire land area.

I never objected to the Immigration checks and the added police enforcement ability within what USED to be termed the 25 mile border zone. At least that's how I knew it in trucking. Since 9/11 though? That's sure morphed to be FAR beyond 25 miles of international frontiers. Good lord, your map covers San Antonio! How they can even keep a straight face while NOT calling this the very advanced stages of a Police State in the making is baffling to me.

It's.....right....there...for all to see!

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I just squeaked out of the orange zone by mere miles, whew! No can take any data from my devices until as gladtobehere alluded to, SWAT smashes down the doors.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Is that for real? I don't understand.

I literally live 10 minutes from the Washington State border.
What the hell is a Constitutionally free zone?

edit on 17-8-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Is that for real? I don't understand.

I literally live 10 minutes from the Washington State border.
What the hell is a Constitutionally free zone?

edit on 17-8-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

You gotta remember. The nation is constitutionally free. But the land upon which the nation resides is not.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

That's more space and population covered than most nations have in their entire land area.

You can imagine that is on purpose. They know that the vast majority of Americans live on the Coast or in boarder cities.

It's a wide net idea if you ask me. What does one do when trying to finish a puzzle? You start with the corners.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Haha, poor Florida and Maine.

Luckily I'm outside of this zone.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but shouldn't the whole map be orange?
edit on 17-8-2013 by denybedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by denybedoomed

Perhaps it should all be Orange in a way, but not quite this way. Tenth is talking about the officially recognized exemptions to the protections of search and seizure granted in the area of Border Enforcement and national security relating to it. Again, within 25 miles of an international border...as this once was? It made sense.

They've warped that SO far beyond sense though, it's a sick parody, isn't it?

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

You forgot something. Technically any airport that receives an international flight will meet the definition of an international border. So now you need a 100 mile radius for each and every airport that has any flights arriving from outside the US.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Carreau

You forgot something. Technically any airport that receives an international flight will meet the definition of an international border. So now you need a 100 mile radius for each and every airport that has any flights arriving from outside the US.

Wow...I had not thought of that.

Now that is scary.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I live in an orange zone. I find the fact that anyone would even consider this, repulsive.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I talked to my aunt about this, she is a defense attorney that works on death penalty cases. Since the fourth amendment specifically states that both the person and the place must be identified as well as probable cause before a warrant is issued,

This means that, for example, if there is probable cause, the law enforcement agencies could then get a warrant issued for a certain person and their specific e-mail account and retrieve those records.

If someone else's criminal activities were found in that investigation, they would not be allowed in court.

In the same sense, dragnet surveillance methods (like stop-and-frisk) are blatantly unconstitutional and highly likely to be found that way, if challenged in court.

I asked her about how federal agencies are being trained to recreate how they obtained information when dealing with this in court, and she said that if one suspects this and knows to, they can ask for the data trail and investigate how the incriminating information was obtained -

If it was obtained in a fraudulent or unconstitutional manner, the case would be thrown out of court.

And this is how it honestly works in case anyone wants to know how to defend your 4th amendment rights.

Basically, if you understand the Fourth Amendment and know to bring it up in court, you are basically guaranteed that your case is either going to be thrown out or sent up until it reaches the Supreme Court.

At which point, it would be pretty much guaranteed to be found in your favor.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Damn I am pissed I live in Florida. In another year or two I am leaving for good.

That's right I have had it with the country the same one I served over a decade for in the military.

I see where this is heading and I am out before it gets to that. Don't worry if enough people decide they are willing to fight this sh!t I will come back to help and maybe bring a few toys from South America with me but until then I am not willing to live in a police state.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

All of these measures are creeping in and people are accepting it because of the slow pace the government has enacted these things in the past decade. The pace and the excuses are what keeps people not caring, but it's unbelievable the amount of people who can't see what's going on. Soon, that "border" will extend to the entire mainland for whatever reasons they want, yet still we probably won't see revolution. *sigh*

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I would cooperate to the point of letting them examine whatever they wish. They would then be asked what had caused them to decide to search? If they have answer is insufficient they will be told, "Wrong answer and you are under arrest for violations of constitutional rights and possibly the 1964 Civil Rights Act".

Give them their rights and call for their supervisor or other federal officer. Immediately document what happened and get an attorney who should ask a federal court to issue a temporary injunction against the agency to leave you alone without permission of the court. Then sue for damages. Drastic but if enough people do it and names become public it will roll back the tide. My best,

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Glad to see this reposted, I remember reading about it a year ago or so, maybe a bit longer. Anyways there was a legislation push some months back that tried to add international airports to the list but it got thrown out of congress on the grounds that it was insane. Honestly, I don't think congress is even aware of the current zone or the fact that it includes the vast majority of the countries population.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Oh for Pete's sakes. *sigh*

This long, tedious, incremental marching of Amerikans to the eventual gas chambers is getting boring to watch and live under. At least the Nazis were pretty straightforward about it, making clear who the enemy was.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Yep, that border will slowly get thicker and thicker til its ALL ORANGE,,,,

top topics

<<   2 >>

join