It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best portable solar power pack to charge laptop ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
BEFORE READING THIS: I'm not looking for a USB charger, there are plenty of those.
I have been looking around for a portable solar power pack. I found this one ( www.ebay.com... ) but the review stinks and I don't really want to gamble with 130 bucks and its shipped from Taiwan but Amazon has one shipped from U.S. , still even with all of the adapters Im not sure. Im really looking for someone that has a tried and true product for solar powering a laptop, NOT an ipad or tablet that can be powered USB. Maybe a camper that needs his laptop for working 3 hours a night like me. I have the jetpack for wifi but I need some power. Any tried product recommendation would be appreciated.Thanks
edit on 17-8-2013 by jazztrance because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2013 by jazztrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
you need to look at your laptops supply voltage and since most laptops are DC devices you should be able to daisy chain the panels and by pass the charger brick so you won't need to worry about inverters

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I think your looking for a juice box.
It may be more than your after, but as the old adage goes, you get what you pay for.

JUICEBOX SPECIFICATIONS:

Case is enameled steel, welded at all seams, and given 3 coats of enamel paint.
· Hinged lid is sealed with a continuous rubber gasket and is removable.
· Inverter provides 400 watts constant, 800 watts surge.
· Two AGM batteries totaling 288 WH (24 AH). Sealed, spill-proof, and maintenance free.
· Battery life is 300 to 400 cycles - replacements are easy to find, buy, and install.
· Digital meter displays real-time voltage of the batteries.
· Circuit breaker protects sensitive components—no fuses to replace or worry about.
· Two marine-grade 12 volt sockets for all common automotive devices.
· Two Anderson Power Pole connections for high-power, Low-loss 12 volt power.
· One 120 volt pigtail, three-prong, to power common ‘house power’ devices.
· USB port for powering and charging phones, tablets, games, etc.
· Mil-Spec folding solar panel - 10 Watts, fits inside case and deploys in seconds (optional).
· 3-amp Automatic Battery Charger - charges and maintains the batteries from a wall socket.
· Automatic Solar Controller, 4.5 amp capacity. Can easily handle up to 60 watts of solar panels.
· Tough, mil-spec foam ‘locks’ the system into the can to resist vibration and jarring.
· Dimensions: 12” x 13” x 5.5” Weight: 29 lbs

Juice Box
edit on 8/17/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

While chaining the solar panels will increase your voltage, you wont get enough current. If done in parallel it will increase current but not voltage. Cant have it both ways. Battery is the best bet. removable car batteries are another option. Store all that power from the sun for a gloomy rainy day.
edit on 8/17/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I know you'll need some box of tricks between the panels and the laptop to regulate the power and to cover the vagaries of the weather but as a start you'll need to know whats needed as a base figure

new topics

top topics

join