It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA testing for health reasons only $99.00

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
www.23andme.com...

www.23andme.com... oogle.23andme&matchtype=e&network=g&mobile=&searchntwk=1&content=&creative=29982265225&keyword=23andme&adposition=1t1&gclid=CK2nruHbhLkCFUJqMgodvA0Atw

I just saw an ad on the tele for the site. $99.00 and you get your DNA tested. I was at first shocked but then I realized it was for health purposes so it's ok
. I wonder at what stage the NSA or the medical profession gets ahold of these records, but I'd love to do it. The site has two different web screens that's why I posted two links. Opinions?
edit on 17-8-2013 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
My wife and I were thinking of sending for that. I guess knowing if you like pukey cilantro is a medical issue and you need DNA evidence to prove it tastes like dirty socks.

We may get this, it will be fun, I do wonder if the tests are accurate though. I already know many of my genetic issues, none of which will probably be tested for in this kit. I was looking for a phone number on the card we got in the mail so I could call there first, but couldn't find one.

Maybe someone got this done, I would be interested to know what they test for.

I'm thinking they will say I am not human, I am a bigfoot.
edit on 17-8-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Awesome!

I'm doing this asap.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Tell what your results are if you get a chance. I really want to do it because they can test for certain diseases but I don't trust the site. The back door is probably the government and who knows how they can use your DNA against you in the future. I even thought of hi-tech organ harvesting. I'd love to know who owns that site.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by StoutBroux
reply to post by rickymouse

I'd love to know who owns that site.

the owner of the company is Sergio Brin's [Google Co-Founder] wife, Anne Wojcicki.

Here:
www.inc.com...

Anne Wojcicki thinks we should know more about ourselves, all the way down to the chromosomes. Her Mountain View, California-based company, 23andMe, provides genetic testing services. A customer gets a kit in the mail, spits into a test tube, mails it back, and, a few weeks later, gets information about his or her ancestral heritage and genetic profile. Wojcicki, a 38-year-old working mom--and wife of Google co-founder Sergey Brin--holds a biology degree from Yale and worked as a health care investment analyst for 10 years before co-founding 23andMe in 2006. The company has raised $68 million in venture capital and has nearly 150,000 paying members. As the company's president, Wojcicki oversees 70 employees, many of whom are scientists. Even customer service reps have biology degrees. Wojcicki constantly pushes her team to focus on big goals, develop new ideas, and--something that may not come easily for scientists--socialize. As told to Liz Welch.

ALSO:

(Editor's note: as of online publishing date, May 29, 2012, 23andMe charges a flat rate of $299 per customer.)

Seems they're sticking to the claim of wanting to further decrease the cost.

They've cut the cost down $200 in just over a year.

[ETA]

@ a mere $99/ test they've significantly increased their potential market down to even John & Jane Q Public.

Who wouldn't drop a hundred bucks to find out that type/kind of detail about your health, history, etc?
no brainer, imho

edit on 8/17/2013 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by StoutBroux

I think I'll send away for it as well.

Of-course the results will be mailed back to my address, which just happens to be an abandoned home under my real name, John Smith.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I am an active member there for roughly 2 years. If you have any questions I will gladly answer them.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by cry93

I find this interesting, but trying to figure out do I really want to send a sample of my DNA off to an on-line resource? Isn't this something that could come back to haunt you later?

What do they do with the sample afterwards? How do you know for a fact they don't keep it?

I guess all my questions amount to: Is this safe? Wouldn't it be better to go to a local doctor or clinic for this type information?

TIA.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Oh and for those of you who are only interested in health reports please opt out of Relative Finder. This site has many people there looking for genetic relatives. Many are adopted, donor babies, do not know one or more of their parents, etc.

It can be upsetting to send an invitation to share family info to a person with no interest in sharing. It can also be cumbersome to wade through relatuves trying to get info. If you have no interest in ancestry please do the community and yourself a favor and not participate in that aspect of the test.

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BellaSabre

You can request to have your sample destroyed. I take it at face value that is indeed what happens. I have witnessed people just disappear from the forum and profiles removed so I do believe that they destroy the results.

Think about it like this. Keep in mind that I question things and consider myself a conspiracy theorist. I was on the fence about this but my desire to learn about my family and my genetic predisposition was greater than my fear. I reasoned that if you ever served in the military or held a certain type of job anyone with any interest in your DNA probably already have it. If the government is privy to my info why shouldn't I know, too?

edit on 17-8-2013 by cry93 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join