It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious People Are Less Intelligent Than Atheists, study states

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
We emerged from racial discrimination, simply to fall into psychological discrimination. I am atheist, and love science. But this kind of discrimination just gave me quite a shock.

Many of my friends are both christians and scientists. My best friend is both a physicist (his field is quantum), and a preacher, and is fluent in Greek and is a master of calculus. This "study" basically just called my best friend "less intelligent".

Is that what science will teach in the upcoming textbooks? That if ever you have faith, that means you are stupid? This is just plain discrimination. And downright insulting for those people out there who explore Faith at least as much as Science.

Anyway, I guess I should give you the link now.

Religious people are less intelligent than atheists, analysis of over 63 scientific studies stretching back over decades concludes

A new review of 63 scientific studies stretching back over decades has concluded that religious people are less intelligent than non-believers.

A piece of University of Rochester analysis, led by Professor Miron Zuckerman, found “a reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity” in 53 out of 63 studies.

According to the study entitled, 'The Relation Between Intelligence and Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis and Some Proposed Explanations', published in the 'Personality and Social Psychology Review', even during early years the more intelligent a child is the more likely it would be to turn away from religion.

The paper concludes that: "Most extant explanations (of a negative relation) share one central theme —the premise that religious beliefs are irrational, not anchored in science, not testable and, therefore, unappealing to intelligent people who 'know better'."

At Time's End,

Swan

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

We emerged from racial discrimination, simply to fall into psychological discrimination. I am atheist, and love science. But this kind of discrimination just gave me quite a shock.

This is not discrimination, it is just reporting of a statistical fact. You bring up race, but even racial differences in intelligence are accepted as statistical facts.

It is their interpretation or extrapolations that can lead to bigotry or discrimination, not science itself.
edit on 16/8/13 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
This news just came on my local (french version of CTV) news. It's madness.

edit on 16-8-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Just because you know an exception doesn't invalidate the study.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Scientists, like these, follow their knowledge of and IN flesh. They think they know and understand the brain, and they don't, and that is the fact.

They have been studying the brain and us for yonkers, yet, they still find something "new" every other day.

Intelligence doesn't stem from the knowledge of the flesh, it is Spiritual. No one can understand the knowledge of our Creator, they trust what their brain tells them, because their interest is that of flesh, not of God.

As i have asked in a previous thread; And, the wisdom of King Solomon? Again that won't count, cos King Solomon is part of a fairytale. And because i believe in a fairytale, i am labeled as less intelligent. That is fine by me. At least i truly see and hear.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

Is it not more reasonable to interpret the data to say that the more intelligent one is, the less the tendency to fall back on religion as the answer to...well...everything?

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
by the way, religion and belief in a higher power are seperate. imho

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by nrd101
by the way, religion and belief in a higher power are seperate. imho

How so?

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
been posted before BUT I TOTALLY AGREE !

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by nrd101

I have a religious devotion to wash my hands frequently. I call that OCD

Please explain what you mean.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I'd have to see exactly what criteria they were using in their studies. Check for bias.
I am of the opinion (based on anecdotal evidence) that there are smart people and not so smart
people across all lines ... smart and not so smart athiests ... smart and not so smart spiritual
people ... smart and not so smart church goers ....

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I just think there is an inherent difference between someone who practices religion and someone who is a believer of the afterlife and a higher power. I have seen things that will force my hand to BELIEVE or KNOW that there is a spiritual plane of existence beyond this one. Like the poster above said, religion answers your questions or makes you not question.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

The question here is... what is the point? Is the effort to create a concept of stereotypical class division based on the same mindset that applies this very technique in creating prejudices against various ethinicites? That's exactly how it has been done for centuries.

For the Nazis, the Jews were 'untermench'... subhuman because of their ethnic heritage and religion. This was used to try and turn an entire nation against it's own based on who they worshiped and where their bloodlines originated.

Here we have a study that says that people who do not believe in a god, are superior, in intellect at the very least, than those that do.
Here, all people are not created equal... we have those who are better than the rest. If this concept was applied to say... African Americans, we would call it racism. But because it is used against those of faith... some will defend it.

So... here we are. Speaking for myself, I believe in God so... I guess I am one of your your new age 'untermench'.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

I am a Christian turned atheist. Did I suddenly gain IQ points the day I decided Christianity is one of the grandest deceptions ever perpetrated on the world? Probably not.

And I guess Einstein wasn't so bright after all...

Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble.

I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details.

Source

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Well for me, most of those I have encountered that were reborns or very deep into their local small cult southern religions that cant believe in dinosaurs or the true age of the earth or science in general are well simply uneducated. Anyone that thinks giving a certain percentage of their paycheck to "god" when the pastor is living high on the hog and they have much less, is uneducated. I have a personal friend whom served god in a seminary for 20 plus years and left that life in distrust of the religion he so whole heartedly supported after seeing what a lie religion really was. he became a science major professor, gaining an educated life. kinda ironic. There are uneducated people on both sides, but it would seem that many in the religious community have been blinded by the faith that binds them
edit on 16-8-2013 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
Just because you know an exception doesn't invalidate the study.

Really?
In here, ATS, I fell upon 5 Christians. Do you know how many out of those 5 were ALSO scientists? 5.
Of those 5, 4 learned Greek, Hebrew, and Latin languages, so that they could study better their texts and find truth.
And you call that not intelligent enough? How many Atheist (except those in universities) decided to learn Greek and Hebrew?
I am personally atheist, but I denounce vividly this monstrosity. Religious are NOT less intelligent than Atheist. That is pure discrimination.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I'm a Christian Mystic who ABSOLUTELY LOVES SCIENCE!!!!!

I believe this is true, that religious folk are dumber because they just take what religious leaders say as true and dont do independent research.

At the same time, I noticed many of my family/friends who are atheists, work as engineers, programmers, or jos that involve lots of analytical thinking.

So for me it's quite simple. Atheist's have more intellect and more wrapped up in the head. While religious (and dare I say Spiritual) are more wrapped up in Intuition. It is, after all, intuition which one uses to access God.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Well for me, most of those I have encountered that were reborns or very deep into their local small cult southern religions that cant believe in dinosaurs or the true age of the earth or science in general are well simply uneducated.

I will admit that there are those who believe as you say (no dinosaurs etc.)

Then there are those who don't deny that there were dinosaurs and the caveman or Hominids etc. I have brought this up in various threads so many times.

Myself, as a reborn Christian, do believe there were life before man (Adam and Eve) were created. The answer lies between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2.

To study, research, ask our Creator to guide us, will lead us to the only truth. I don't believe we came from any ape-like creature, or to be frank, evolution.

It states clearly in Genesis 1:1 that the Earth, Sun, Moon and stars (The Universe) were already created. In Genesis 1:2 it tells us that the Earth was formless, empty and dark. Between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2 is where Lucifer, by his freewill, decided he will be like his Creator and sit in the heavens and rule.

That war happened between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2. Life could very well have existed on earth in other forms before Genesis 1:2.

Anyone that thinks giving a certain percentage of their paycheck to "god" when the pastor is living high on the hog and they have much less, is uneducated. I have a personal friend whom served god in a seminary for 20 plus years and left that life in distrust of the religion he so whole heartedly supported after seeing what a lie religion really was. he became a science major professor, gaining an educated life. kinda ironic. There are uneducated people on both sides, but it would seem that many in the religious community have been blinded by the faith that binds them

Anyone can go to a church and give and give, but money doesn't buy our Salvation. It is foolish to go to church and never have a personal relationship with our Father, His Son and The Holy Spirit.

Salvation is FREE. It is given by Grace.

If the church asks but doesn't teach one the truth about God i.e; to have fellowship with God, The Son and Holy Spirit, (and that it is the only way) it is not a church of God. It is all personal and Spiritual. To walk with The Bible ain't going to save us. To let the One who gave The Word to the prophets/disciples to live in you, and you in Him will save you.

It is not only the church to be blamed here but your friend, too. Your friend should seek God, not put his trust in man. No man can save you.

Fact is: There are more and more churches not teaching what should be taught.

To be fair, money is needed for growth, to be used wisely. Self control (not to fall into greed) is needed for the church to Spiritually grow, as God planned it. Unfortunately, greed is part of the desires of the flesh, and those churches who follow the greedy path will have hell to pay by leading children of God away from Him. We should all be alert, very alert.

There is only one Truth. There is only one true Church. 3000+ denominations should tell us there is a big big BIG problem. Luckily, the only Truth lies within us. We just need to open our eyes and see, open our ears and listen.

Kind Regards.
edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: added

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by swanne

I am a Christian turned atheist. Did I suddenly gain IQ points the day I decided Christianity is one of the grandest deceptions ever perpetrated on the world? Probably not.

And I guess Einstein wasn't so bright after all...
I would suggest that turning your back organised religion was an exercise of your IQ, and that Einstein was speaking in terms of acknowledging a higher power...not a culturally-based means of connecting with it.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Too many times, the words 'religion' and 'spiritual' are used interchangeably... wrongly.

I was raised Christian, became bitter and hate-filled due to something in my personal life, then turned atheist. However, with my age and experience I now believe in God again, thanks to some personal revelations that I took the time and effort to sort out.
I admit I felt smarter... almost arrogantly so... when I said there was no God and that man had created the idea of God as the ultimate control system. I was very proud of myself for 'figuring it out'. But as I watch my children grow and see my parents age and fade, I've come to realize that my faith in a God... in a Creator... has come back with a vengeance. I am still no fan of organized religion... I believe that one's relationship with God is the most intimate relationship in one's life, and that what happens within is unique to each of us.

As far as my intellect is concerned, I could care less about what any study may say about me as long as I can rest my head at night knowing that my children, my wife, and my family are safe and that I have given them the best of all that I am with the help of a God who has never forgotten me, even when I have chosen to forsake him.

Just my experience.... YMMV, of course.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join