It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saints Row 4

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
In case you don't already know, Saints Row 4 is coming out August 20th.

Plot:
Five years after the events of Saints Row: The Third, the leader of the Third Street Saints is elected President of the United States. It's not long before an alien invasion occurs and the Protagonist and the Saints are kidnapped by aliens known as the Zin and their leader Zinyak, The Player is transported to a virtual version of Steelport where The Player can use super powers to fight against the Zin empire.

Saints Row is often compared to Grand Theft auto and in game play they are quite similar however, GTA is more of a serious/realistic type of game whereas Saints Row is a more over the top/off the wall type of game. I don't want to compare the two cause they are both different games, so that's as much as I will say about it.

Personally, I am a huge fan of Saints Row!
There is much comedy in the story line and the world it takes place in. You can do almost anything you want in the game no matter how outlandish it may seem. (3 foot purple dildo as a weapon anyone?)

Anyway, the game for me is a great way to release frustration, get my mind off things, or pass time for whatever reason.

I never played Saints Row 1 or 2, but I pre-ordered Saints Row 3 when it first came out and it hasn't been un-installed since, I was completely hooked, in fact I have been playing it pretty steady for the last couple months since I heard part 4 was coming out. Now I pre-ordered saints Row 4 the other day and I just can't wait for it.

What I think is cool about the fourth installment is you get to be the Commander In Chief with super powers and there seems to be a strong Matrix feel to the whole game.

I guess my questions are:
Has anyone here pre-ordered their copy of Saints Row 4?
For what system?
Are you as excited as I am?

And what are you looking forward to most about it?

I'm not sure how popular the Video Games Forum is on ATS, but I promise to put my x-box hate aside and I hope to hear from many fellow Saints Row lovers.

Here are a couple of videos for those who don't know about saints Row 4, or those who can't see enough of it.
Saints Row 4 Official Trailer

Saints Row 4 Gameplay

And here is a story from the world of Saints Row 4. Narrated by Morgan freeman. Must Watch this one!

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Honestly when I first saw Saints Row I thought it was a cheap GTA knockoff and refused to play it. Finally a bunch of my classmates at college (I am taking a digital media course with a focus on video game development, so lots of gamers in my classes) kept raving about it and insisted I play Saints Row the third. It took one of them actually buying me a copy on steam before I'd try it.

It was such a fun game. I didn't care about the low brow humor, I didn't really care about the raunchy stuff or the giant purple dildo or the fact I could run around shooting people dressed as a toilet. What I LOVED about the game was just how fun it was. The action sequences, the missions, even the customizations. It was just a really fun game to play and I couldn't put it down until I finished it (and even then I still fire it up from time to time).

I just had to post to say that if you haven't tried saints row the third (can't speak on the other 2 since I haven't played them), you should give it a shot. It might not look like a game you would like, but trust me it is a really fun game. I'll definitely be playing the 4th installment.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

Saints Row is just awesome. The Third has been a great improvement over the second one, both visually and gameplay-wise. It is pure comedy, I love it. Like you said, it's like GTA but with all seriousness taken out.

Personally I will be buying 4, but I'm not sure wether it'll be for the X360 or the PS3. Probably PS3 because my Xbox is insanely noisy, possibly later I will get the X1 version. If they ever do decide to drop the price of that console, and get rid of the Kinect.

Also, I'd like to comment on some ridiculous weapons. You mentioned the dildo, which is by far my favorite weapon. Have you seen the Genki DLC ? There are some whacky special weapons in that too.
And, one last thing. Have you killed Genki yet ? Easy money. Just punch him in the nuts over and over, it'll take forever but sure is fun.

edit on 16-8-2013 by TommyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Pretty nice of your friends to buy you a copy

I know what you mean about it being just down right fun to play. You can go driving around, do side missions, start gang fights, do story line missions, fly, etc... Just whatever you find entertaining at any given moment.

As I said, I haven't tried the first 2 games, but have played the hell out of the 3rd

From what I seen, the first two games are a little more serious in the story line and reality department. Part 3 and now 4 is where it really starts to get outrageous

reply to post by TommyD

Have to agree with you 100%, Saints Row is pretty awesome. In fact, it's one of the few games I can keep playing even after finishing it many times. I guess that's due to the vast amount of different things you can do and see.

The copy I have now is SR3 for PC and I have all the DLC's.
Genki DLC is pretty cool. It's always funny when driving around and you come across him and he is running around punching random people in the balls or shooting passing cars with a rocket launcher.

SR4 will be the first one I played on a console. (PS3) But I pre-ordered it so it comes with some extra goodies and I can't wait. I am positive I will be getting a copy later for the PC too cause of the Mods and also the ability to play it elsewhere besides my room.

Also, for anyone like myself who loves the 3rd game but never played the first two, I recommend watching the cut scene movies from the first two. I thought it would be a good idea to see the history of the characters and whatnot and it turns out I learned quite a bit from them.

They are quite long but good to watch if you want to get ready for the 4th one.

Saints Row 1 Movie: It's 2 parts and about 2:09 minutes long.

www.youtube.com...

Saints Row 1 Movie: It's 1:39 minutes long.

Thanks to you both for replying.

I wish more would comment here. I'd like to know what all you guys like to do in the game other than following the story line.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

Well, its two years forward in time, and I finally caught up to the idea of playing Saints Row 4.

I had also avoided the other Saints Row games, since I was in the midst of a GTA kick at the time, and still believe that GTA San Andreas is one of the best sandbox roamer games you can get a hold of.

WOW!

I have played a couple of missions in one of the other Saints Row games... This game however, this game had me hooked from the get go, and it started with character creation. It's pretty rare in a computer game these days, to be able to make anything approaching my face and hair from the customisations available. But right at the get go, I had my face and hair on there, although the beard was off. That's always a plus. Later on, I unlocked clothing options which allowed me to create my actual attire. I literally created an in game version of myself. The only thing that was somewhat jarring is the fact that there is really only one British accent in the game, and it is fairly coarse in its delivery, not at all appropriate for a gentleman of my calibre (HAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, right!). In fact,I went out on Wednesday night, and before leaving my abode, I announced to those there gathered "Right, I am off into town, to sprint clear up the side of a building, and feed some aliens their own colons" at which point the room descended into gales of laughter... I love leaving my people in that state!

Don't get me wrong, watching some carefully crafted, pre-prepared character model bash something's face in, when playing a well directed game is satisfying. But this game offers one the opportunity to literally see oneself plummet from the top of the game space, and unleash enormous impact damage on an entire city block!

Not only that, but because the whole premise of this game is so utterly, mind bendingly bonkers, the coarse humour fits it very well, and the fact that the movement around town, the superpowers one gets during the game add a dimension beyond what one would expect from a sandbox roaming gangster game, I have to say that this game is totally unhinged, and right up my alley. If GTA pinned down Infamous, and impregnated it, this game would be the misbegotten progeny.

Long live the bastards! And long live the Boss!
edit on 21-5-2015 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical improvements!

new topics

top topics

join