It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: TV Stations Afraid To Show Pvt. Ryan

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Well, I'm back, because I'm still upset about this.

There were over 400,000 U.S. military deaths in WW II...did they all die of natural causes, Grady? Was there no gore, violence or trauma associated with their deaths.

And how in the heck are you supposed to accurately portray what happened on the beaches on D-day without gore? How are you supposed to accurately portray to people what this generation of men went through, and accurately instill the level of gratitude they deserve if you showing them waltzing up the beach and whistling?

If you want to watch D-day without the "anti-war" propaganda, go rent the Longest Day...then you can have Sean Connery and company popping jokes and drinking tea on the beach. If you want to know what a generation of men - NOT JUST U.S. - went through to stop a world-crippling disease...watch Saving Private Ryan.

This generation was not honored in time. They are almost all gone. My father is 80...his friends and comrades are in the ground. They didn't get to see the national memorial. And the generations of today didn't get to see this movie before a lot of them were gone.

I took my 14 year old son to watch this movie when it first came out, because I wanted him to understand what his grandfather's generation had done for the world. Last night, he came home and saw we were watching it, and he said, "I've got to go down to papa's for a minute and tell him I love him on Veteran's day."

THAT's what this is all about.

I don't know what your real combat experience has been. I don't know if you have served in a combat environment or not. I respect you and have gratitude to you for time served no matter in peace or in conflict. But just because we can lob missiles from ship decks, and fire rockets from a mile away doesn't mean that war world II wasn't brutal, violent and very costly in life and limb.

Okay...I feel better now.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Haviing read the various opinions on why the picture was blocked in some markets, here is mine...

I firmly beleive the recent FCC actions (Howard Stern et al) have been attempts to moralize our airwaves through threat and litigation.

I don't beleive a word about any conspiracy here contrived to either dissuade recruits or try to hide the gore of war.

I DO beleive the FCC is on a perilous path that will lead to no good.

The ONLY way to get the American people weened of vulgarity and gore is for them to stop consuming it all by themselves. We Americans are kind of like children in this respect. When somebody (who thinks they have authority) tells us we can't have/do/watch or listen to something, we are going to have/do/watch and listen to it even more.

What the FCC needs to realize is when the American people get tired of something it goes away all by itself via market forces. No more advertising dollars to pay for the production/ no more production PERIOD.

IF the advertising dollars continue to roll in it is an indication that the public is still consuming, trust me, Madison Avenue does NOT spread their client's money around to losers for long.

Bottom line is everything I read and heard was some affiliates were fearful of FCC retaliation should they air the movie un-cut, that's SAD...

m...

[edit on 11-12-2004 by Springer]

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
If you want to watch D-day without the "anti-war" propaganda, go rent the Longest Day...then you can have Sean Connery and company popping jokes and drinking tea on the beach. If you want to know what a generation of men - NOT JUST U.S. - went through to stop a world-crippling disease...watch Saving Private Ryan.

All the time from my Grandfather. Not so much now as he's more yanked about the current chicken hawks than anything, but growing up I got earfulls about fake war movies and revisionist farces. The mere sight of John Wayne would send him in a tirade about plastic hollywood heros.

And as a WWII POW, let's just say Hogan's Heros pissed him off big time.

(Also cancelled by CBS in 1971...I'm on to something here.)

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Something I've not seen mentioned here, why didn't someone "bleep"out the bad words. like they seem to do for every ohter movie with bad language aired on TV?
Or, don't they bother to spend the $$ and effort to clean up movies for TV?

Why were some affiliates afraid to air Pvt. Ryan when most were not? Was this withholded airing a political statement against the FCC and their recent punishments?

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
There were over 400,000 U.S. military deaths in WW II...did they all die of natural causes, Grady? Was there no gore, violence or trauma associated with their deaths.

I had two uncles who hit the shores on D-Day and my grandfather who was airborn, actually jumped in prior to the invasion. The movie came to late to hear my grandfathers take on it, but my Uncles who saw the movie, said it portrayed a pretty realistic representation of what it was like to hit the beaches on that day.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Bottom line is everything I read and heard was some affiliates were fearful of FCC retaliation should they air the movie un-cut, that's SAD...

Yeah (welcome back btw
), from what I just heard on CNN it did air on Veterans Day in 2000 and 2001. This is pretty lame all of a sudden.

[edit on 12-11-2004 by RANT]

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Well let's see,

My affiliate was not impressed by the recent rulings and fines imposed on broadcasters. And I watched Pvt Ryan for the third time with the same result, a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat at the end. It was and is a great movie and realistically portrayed the emotion and conflict in that Maelstrom of war. Intense hand to hand combat. Now war is performed at a distance with lasers, and night vision goggles and superior, ah, force.
WW11 had heart, lots of heart on all sides.
I seem to recall Rummy saying there were just a handful of trouble makers a 1000 at most and the country was glad we set them free. Why don't I see it that way. Must be the 100,000 innocent dead civilians. And as usual I must agree with the Prolific Okie writer as far as Grady's perspective is concerned.
Polar Bear

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Muaddib, why are you on my butt when you agree with me that the movie should be shown, and in you last statements, you most be Grady’s twin because you are starting to sound the same, and my abilities are just fine yours are the ones that are starting to sound confused with this post. You don’t even know what I was reffering earlier but you attack my post becasue it was me, then you see to agree with showing the picture but you attack me when I agree also with the showing of the picture, I always have strong views in the results of wars in these boards but you accused me of been blind.

Any war is not pretty and I only see people that is pro war around here trying to find an excused for it, muaddib and you are one of them.

The comments of the flowers and candy came from Chalabi before the war, an by the way I have always point the mistake of our administration for going into a war that was not declared by that the country of Iraq to the US, again muaddib you has always point out the same old tale of the evils in Iraq, but you know what “people, children” are dying and they are dying everyday thanks to a war that you seem to agree and defend so much.

OH, lets not forget the “Iraqis” that love US to be there, are you talking to the ones kept protected in the green zone by the US, the ones that are of privilege background and while the poor children scrap around Iraq for work to help their family, were presented in TV swimming in a nice pool in the area where they live in Iraq because mommy and daddy are “educated” people that need to be protected so they can take over and become the elite when democracy be shove into the rest of the people.

Yeah, I saw them on TV in an interview well protected in the nice littler area in Baghdad were our troops also are supposed to enjoy safe haven see when things start to blow up in the green zone they have the choices to move out and come to the US while the rest of the nation “become’ casualties of war.

Muaddib, wake up and smell reality. The smell of death and the stench of the death in Iraq and on any other war in this world the same stench that our present administration smell like also.

Hummmm I think you are confused.

Oh, muaddib not hard feelings you know.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

Here is a shocker.

Marg has turned another thread into one of her Bush bashes.

Pathetic.

What you are going to do about it spank me? with muaddib? Get real, this thread is about a movie and a comparison of the results of war and Iraq by the standard of most of the war happy people is another american war.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Originally posted by COOL HAND
I am sorry marg I have been acting like a dumb cow, please accept my humble apology, Sincerely C.H. wanna be luke

What you are going to do about it spank me? with muaddib? Get real, this thread is about a movie and a comparison of the results of war and Iraq by the standard of most of the war happy people is another american war.
:

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Polar Bear
Why don't I see it that way. Must be the 100,000 innocent dead civilians. And as usual I must agree with the Prolific Okie writer as far as Grady's perspective is concerned.
Polar Bear

ok, can we please have a link where this amount of Iraqi civilians are reported "as being killed by the coalition"?.....

It is getting pretty tiresome that people keep coming up with this figure and nowhere have I seen any information to back this up.....

You should also know that the insurgents are killing Iraqi civilians too...and yes there are quite a few Iraqis that are grateful of the coalition ousting Saddam.... All we see in the news are reports from those areas where there are attacks, but if you notice those places where there is a lot of violence are few in Iraq....

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I was just reading in the St. Petersburg Times today about it. Some family group was complaining about Pvt. Ryan, but was happy that it was being pre-empted.
I swear this is true, maybe it's on the online version, when the family group found out that it was being pre-empted with, "Three Weddings and a Funeral" they were worried.
"Isn't that about gays?"

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Listen fellow there are only about 10 or 15 threads on this board with sites that support that number. If you think that because you are to lethargic and unaware I'm gonna look up crap to appease you.Think again if you are capable.
Love, POLAR BEAR

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Muaddib, why are you on my butt when you agree with me that the movie should be shown, and in you last statements, you most be Grady’s twin because you are starting to sound the same, and my abilities are just fine yours are the ones that are starting to sound confused with this post. You don’t even know what I was reffering earlier but you attack my post becasue it was me, then you see to agree with showing the picture but you attack me when I agree also with the showing of the picture, I always have strong views in the results of wars in these boards but you accused me of been blind.

Hummmm I think you are confused.

Oh, muaddib not hard feelings you know.

ok....half of your post really made no sense to me Marg, I am not trying to insult you, but i don't understand some of the things you wrote...

BTW....first, i wasn't "on your butt".......I was pointing out that your argument is weak since you continue to ignore facts about "war." I told you many times....yes, war is hell, but in many cases it is necessary....it has been necessary many times in our past, and will be necessary in the future whether you like it or not.

And i am sorry...you say I am the one confused?.....ok Marg, whatever makes you feel better....

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Well...if you weren't married and if you were younger, then i would allow myself to be used to spank you....

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Polar Bear
Listen fellow there are only about 10 or 15 threads on this board with sites that support that number. If you think that because you are to lethargic and unaware I'm gonna look up crap to appease you.Think again if you are capable.
Love, POLAR BEAR

I haven't seen anyone bring up a reliable site which confirms this number of casualties or that they were all killed "by the coalition"....

Since you are bringing this number up you should be posting the link that backs it up, noone else has when I asked....

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Just want to remind everybody to remain on topic for your posts.

Thank you
FredT

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by vibetic FCC has previously made clear that the F-word, used repeatedly in the movie, is inappropriate.

If they're whining about the use of 'naughty words'
in 'Private Ryan', there's no way they would allow networks to play the mobster film 'Goodfellas' ...

The F-word is used 246 times in this film (mostly by Joe Pesci).

www.imdb.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Just want to remind everybody to remain on topic for your posts.

Thank you
FredT

Yes, i apologize about that but when people begin to post outrageous... information... i always have to ask for links to back their arguments up...

[edit on 12-11-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
No, muaddib no, is nothing confusing about been agaisnt war, or defending the killing of other human beings, this thread is about a movie and the reason why was not shown on prime TV.

I found the reason bias and wrong, also due to the situation of our country in Iraq is easy to become political, when we talk about war even if is a movie of make believe of war, the conflict in Iraq is in everybodies mind, and by the way I celebrated veterans day with my husband yesterday it was his day after all.

So showing a movie on veteran days about the woes of war is the topic of this thread.

[edit on 12-11-2004 by marg6043]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join