It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harris deputy sues family who called 911 for help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

A Harris County sheriff's deputy is suing the family of a man he shot and killed when assisting on a call last December, saying they failed to warn emergency personnel and law enforcement that the man was a "violent threat."

Deputy Brady Pullen is seeking $200,000 from relatives of Kemal Yazar, who authorities said confronted EMS workers who responded to a 911 call at a Katy home. The man's wife, authorities said then, had told EMS that Yazar was acting irrationally.

Two deputies, including Pullen, who were called to help struggled with Yazar and used a Taser on him, officials said then. Both deputies fired shots at him, killing him. Pullen was injured and taken to a hospital for treatment of a concussion, cuts and a bite.

More at Link

Since the threat facing the officer wasn't told to him by the home owner after the 911 call, he wants to sue.

His opinion seems to be that the caller needs to assess of the level of threat for the police or be liable. I thought that is what the police do and is used to explain all the deadly force incidents.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I'm absolutely not surprised.

Break the law, get shot.
Call the police, get sued.
Take the law into your own hands, get arrested.

We're happy oh so happy..

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
So.....what about the threat to the caller's family? I bet there is a disclaimer if you go on 911's website that says you waive all safety rights if you call your local emergency number.
edit on 15-8-2013 by Mnemicrsl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
So this cop is doing what he is legally able to do? Don't see anything wrong...other than the fact that this cop is bigger scum than those who sue police departments.

Must be something more to this other than the printed known 'facts.'

S&F for bringing this scum to light.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
ridiculous..some element of danger is part of the job description, he should be fired as soon as his lawsuit is thrown out

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This man may not be mentally fit for the position. I get the impression the police always are aware of how a situation can be much different than first appearance. The possibility that the record is being falsified is another ongoing concern.

If police can start suing and win then they will not be much use other than ticket or report writers, if that.

I hope this doesn't even reach court.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Soooooo........

Is Officer Friendly going to sue the EMS service for not saying "violent individual" before police arrive? Or the dispatcher? Or his instructor at the academy? This just isn't his fault? Or he's injured badly enough that he needs to then cast blame in lawsuits so he can support himself?

As a Paramedic, I've called for police to come help control more than one situation. I have to say, every officer that has responded to my call understood that there was a PROBLEM. From an out of control patient to the drunken pissed off crowd that tried to beat their way into the truck because the drunk guy with the broken arm in my ambulance was on parole and was going to be in trouble. This constitutes a PROBLEM. Get Officer Friendly to come and manage this with his body armor and his weapons.

I'm saying "lawsuit happy". Any officer worth his salt should know he can die or defend himself while sitting quietly in his cruiser, on a simple traffic stop, just as easily as he can on a violent scene.

Seems like a maneuver designed to cast doubt on any deed he may have done that may have escalated the scene or wasn't protocol.

top topics

join