It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bit-Message, or Bitmessage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Heard about this today on the No Agenda podcast of which i am a huge fan.

Bitmessage

Bitmessage is a P2P communications protocol used to send encrypted messages to another person or to many subscribers. It is decentralized and trustless, meaning that you need-not inherently trust any entities like root certificate authorities. It uses strong authentication which means that the sender of a message cannot be spoofed, and it aims to hide "non-content" data, like the sender and receiver of messages, from passive eavesdroppers like those running warrantless wiretapping programs. If Bitmessage is completely new to you, you may wish to start by reading the whitepaper.

Well here we have one of a few of the first of new developments with the evolving bit idea. It works exactly like bitcoins, peer to peer encrypted e-mail network. No more Google, or Hotmail in between to read your e-mail.

Whats more to like and say?

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

It has some applications, but if someone sends you a message on Friday when you've already left for your three day weekend to your favorite fishing spot out of cell phone range, you may never get the message, when you return from your trip. There's a 2 day limit, which is fairly restrictive, in my view. If that was longer it would be more interesting.

bitmessage.org...

Can I send a message to someone that is offline?

-Yes. However, if you go offline then they must come back online within 2 days of the message being sent. Nodes delete data, and do not accept data, older than 2 days.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

As a developing *technology* i can assume they will be working on that issue somehow. My question is, is it hardware or software related? Also, does holding data for longer periods of time compromise its encryption capability?

This Bit idea is going to scare the # out of the government, i love it.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by Arbitrageur

As a developing *technology* i can assume they will be working on that issue somehow. My question is, is it hardware or software related? Also, does holding data for longer periods of time compromise its encryption capability?

This Bit idea is going to scare the # out of the government, i love it.

I guess the 2 day limit is a 'feature' rather then a problem. As a decentralised system there is no server to store unread messages which would mean it staying in the outbox of the sender.

Send enough messages where a recipient doesn't receive it and the outbox will become inefficient.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by EasyPleaseMe

Read the FAQ carefully.
It suggests that the message is not in your outbox after you send it and go offline, because the recipient can still get the message within 2 days of you going offline. If you're offline, they have no way to get the message from your outbox.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I've been fiddling with Bitmessage and Bitmail for a little while now.

I find Bitmessage to be more user friendly. It's easier to show somebody who has no clue how to use it. Bitmail is a little more testy.

Both are in beta so use at your own risk.

Early Bitmessage was full of holes and implimented the wrong security in the wrong way. Word is that has been fixed since early this year though a proper audit has yet to occur.

If you cant get your message in two days then forget about it. If it's that important you're either expecting it and will be ready to receive it or the person will contact you in a more direct/immediate manner such a phone call. Oh noes I'll have to resend my message!!
Consider broadcasting as a viable alternative to losing important info in the two day window.

Anyway, if anyone wants to test or play or otherwise waste time: BM-2DC1z4TparteMNLhsvhZVAgtrc5kh4F3ZU

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
reply to post by onequestion

It has some applications, but if someone sends you a message on Friday when you've already left for your three day weekend to your favorite fishing spot out of cell phone range, you may never get the message, when you return from your trip. There's a 2 day limit, which is fairly restrictive, in my view. If that was longer it would be more interesting.

This is incorrect. There is only the 2-day limit if you turn your computer off (or close BM) during said weekend; leaving it and running in the system tray ensures your mail will be sitting in your inbox when you arrive home.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Thanks to this Snowden scandal we get lot of new security software lately, which is good to everyone.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
This is incorrect. There is only the 2-day limit if you turn your computer off (or close BM) during said weekend; leaving it and running in the system tray ensures your mail will be sitting in your inbox when you arrive home.
Why would I leave my computer running when I'm off on a fishing trip?

With regular e-mail I don't need to leave the computer on. I can turn the computer off when I leave, and back on when I return and the e-mail will be there.

So if you're suggesting the solution is to just leave your computer on when you go away and aren't using it, I would once again say this is a disadvantage of using this communication method, because that is not necessary with regular e-mail.

top topics

join