It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rowan Williams tells 'persecuted' western Christians to grow up

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Well said friend. I have had a feeling for a while that there was something not quite right about the church (especially those involved in prosperity theology) , which has often conflicted with my belief in God. I think it is about time that I really read the books of the Gospel and stop searching for the "right" congregation.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
All religious people need to "grow up".

Most people stop believing in imaginary beings and magic before they are ten years old

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Kumo77

I believe it is important to pay the respects one owes to God, to God (in any one of His three forms, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost) alone, and not the human instruments of his will, who are his children, not deities in and of themselves. However, there is far too much power and reverence given to the organisation, its members, previous figures in its history, and far too little to the actual Word.

Of course, if a person happens to be lucky enough to be part of a Church which is supportive, based on worship of God, rather than the edification of his messengers, then obviously, I would be loathed to tell them to break off and cease to be involved with that, since that is the ideal situation. However, such a Church is bloody rare in my expirience, and I have had an awful lot of that from a very young age, and most of it has been damned negative to be frank, which is why I worship the way I do.

It cuts out the ritualism and blindness, and allows one to have a relationship with God and Jesus Christ without having to submit to judgement by self apointed guardians of a set of standards which are the product of society, not the desire of our creator. If this has been your expirience also, then all I can wish you, is the best of luck with making your personal relationship with God and Jesus Christ, the centre of your faith, rather than the constructs built by mortals.

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join