It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Israeli Nuclear Whistle Blower Mordechai Vanunu Arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Israeli police stormed a Jerusalem church and arrested Mordechai Vanunu for divulging classified information. Vanunu you may recall was recently released following a 18 year prison sentence for treason. The charges were from his disclosure of Israeli nuclear secrets at the Dimona reactor complex. He is being charged with revealing classified information. Vanunu has met with foreigners but denies he has any classified information to reveal,

story.news.yahoo.com
JERUSALEM - Heavily armed police commandos stormed a Jerusalem church compound Thursday and arrested nuclear whistle blower Mordechai Vanunu for allegedly revealing classified information, seven months after he completed an 18-year prison sentence for treason, police said.

Vanunu was detained at his rented rooms in Jerusalem's St. George's church, but police spokesman Gil Kleiman declined to discuss the nature of Vanunu's alleged disclosures or to whom he made them.

Police removed papers and a computer from Vanunu's rooms, Kleiman said.

Vanunu, 49, was released from prison in April after 18 years, much of it in solitary confinement, for disclosing secrets he learned as a technician at the Israeli nuclear reactor in the southern town of Dimona in the 1980s.

He has acknowledged violating his release arrangement which barred him from meeting foreigners or discussing his work at Dimona, but he said he had no more classified information to reveal.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is interesting as the article points out, that this raid occurred while the world is diverted by the death of Arafat. What possible secrets could he have? It seems the government of Israel will stop at nothing to protect its clandestine research project at Dimona and if it has to silence Vanunu, it wont hesitate to do so. The U.S. and the world has a whole has taken a strong stance against Iran and North Koreas nuclear program, Why allow Israel to run unchecked. I realize the difference in governments but it seems hypocritical at best.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Israel would never use their Nukes in a first strike. The muslim terrorists would and will. That is not hypocritical. But I agree with the timing of this "arrest". What could he possible know after 18 years in lock-up?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
You violate your parole, you go back, simple as that.

Why allow Israel to run unchecked. I realize the difference in governments but it seems hypocritical at best.

How is it hypocritical, when Iran and NK are touting "death to America"?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
How is it hypocritical, when Iran and NK are touting "death to America"?

Simply becuase they are an ally should not exempt them from the same set of nuclear standards that the rest of the world is obligated to follow. People are not in the streets of Brazil, yet they are potentialy subject to sanctions if thier negotiations with the IAEA falls through. Looks at the news reports of "trace" plutonium found in Egypt and the still that followed that finding (still unresolved). Its a double standard at best

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
FredT: Thanks for starting this thread. I read the yahoo article with interest in particular:

"Vanunu was convicted in 1988 for divulging information and pictures of the Dimona reactor. The details, published in London's Sunday Times, led experts to conclude that Israel has the world's sixth-largest stockpile of nuclear weapons, including hundreds of warheads."

My question is where are the millions of people who should be out on the streets protesting this abhorrent behaviour by the Israeli government. Why are people not marching on the Israeli embassies and consulates around the world? Here is a cause worth fighting for, no more secret nuclear arms caches for any country. There is no safe nuclear weapon, not for the inhabitants of this planet nor for the environment we live in.

FREE VANUNU! Dismantle nuclear weapons NOW!

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
FredT: Thanks for starting this thread. I read the yahoo article with interest in particular:

"Vanunu was convicted in 1988 for divulging information and pictures of the Dimona reactor. The details, published in London's Sunday Times, led experts to conclude that Israel has the world's sixth-largest stockpile of nuclear weapons, including hundreds of warheads."

My question is where are the millions of people who should be out on the streets protesting this abhorrent behaviour by the Israeli government. Why are people not marching on the Israeli embassies and consulates around the world? Here is a cause worth fighting for, no more secret nuclear arms caches for any country. There is no safe nuclear weapon, not for the inhabitants of this planet nor for the environment we live in.

FREE VANUNU! Dismantle nuclear weapons NOW!

Are you on crack? Why should Israel not have nukes if Pakistan has them? I think the Israel nukes are much safer than Pakistanis.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
What could he possible know after 18 years in lock-up?

I agree...what kind of classified material could he be in posession of that would relate at all to modern operations at that facility? Wouldn't they have seized any materials related to Dimona when they arrested him for treason?

The only thing I can imagine is that he took some important stuff and hid it away before he was locked up. Upon gaining freedom, he got his stash and disseminated the information contained in it.

I don't think this has as much to do with Vanunu as it seems. I think this is 'message sending' from the Israeli government to the folks they have working in and around Dimona. They're making an example of Vanunu to ensure that no one in their right mind would consider divulging additional information about Dimona.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
Are you on crack? Why should Israel not have nukes if Pakistan has them? I think the Israel nukes are much safer than Pakistanis.

I think your missing the point. Pakistan and India all had to face sanctions. Isreal has refused to sign the NPT and has never had its inventory inspected. Nor do we know if they have sold or offred its secrets to others. ie. South Africa. No matter who they are, they still should come clean with thier program.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Isreal has always had the benefit of the US turning a blind eye to its actions. The double standard that is used to justify their "terror programs" is considered O.K. because all the bad brown people want to kill them. Oppression breeds terrrorists, as long as the US, Isreal, and other major powers continue to exploit regions not under their control, the natives will fight back...ANY WAY THEY CAN. You want fair and balanced? Keep Isreal in check with the rest of the world powers and don't let them kill innocent natives and displace them from THEIR land. What percentage of Congress is currently Jewish? Maybe why thats why we don't say "Boo."

Denying Ignorance hurts my head.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This is too funny.

Look at what you guys are saying.

In the US the guy wouldn't have been let out of jail in the first place. Let's be honest here.

In Pakistan or North Korea he would have been executed, mutilated, strung up, and then FedEx'd to his relatives.

Get over it. If you enjoy juicing up stories so much try writing a novel. This is a case of a man violating his parole rules and getting arrested. Real life vs. fantasy. Learn the differences.

DeKay, don't you get tired of the "Jews own America" argument? Is it your opinion that no person of the Jewish faith should be permitted to serve in congress because of the existence of the State of Israel? If you don't like a candidate, don't vote for him. In this country we don't discriminate based on religious views. If you do, that's your problem.

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Djarums]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Great post, DeKay. So true.

The Israeli government is a pack of hypocrites who don't hesitate to do ten-fold the things that they criticize others for doing. Nuclear weapons are a danger wherever they are and whoever has them. They are no less a danger in the hands of Israel than Pakistan. That Israel hides its misdeeds from the world is that much more cause for concern. The world knows about Israel's nukes. Quit lying. Fess up. Get over your stupid selves.

Quick Quiz for Djarums: Which nation oppresses its subjugated population more than Israel oppresses the Palestinians? No cheating. Five minute time limit!

I can't think of one. Enlighten me, please.

I'm well aware of and condemn the desperate measures some Palestinians use to fight back. When the only treatment a people receive for their wounds is a measure of salt and a jackbooted heel to grind the salt further into the wound, what do you expect? Some of the oppressed will resort to extreme and cruel measures. Some of them can't forget their loved ones, wives, children, and parents, who were murdered by their oppressors.

If the Palestinians had the kind of modern weaponry that the US regularly gives to Israel to use against the Palestinians they wouldn't be throwing stones at heavily armored vehicles and tanks or resort to suicide bombings of civilian targets. Why, then they'd get to be respectable killers just like the rest of the gang. Then they could fight a "civilized" war.

Why is killing by pushing a button at a distance from your target or from inside an armored vehicle less evil than by killing and less condemned than killing from up close enough to getting messed by your victims' blood? The former are good civilized soldiers?!? The latter are insurgents and terrorists?!? Well, they dress differently, have different ideas, won't turn around and bend over.

Give it a rest. The West is becoming a pathetic spectable to the entire rest of the world. Some may see us an example to follow. That should usher in a new age of peace!

With that, this rant ends for now.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
FREE THE SPY?

News post I made when he was free a while back. makes me wonder why they have arrested him again maybe there just scared that he will relase information though he says he has none. I find that hard to belive bush and blair would love to get their hands on him to find out what they had then in time he will be a free man again.

[edit on 11/11/2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Quick Quiz for Djarums: Which nation oppresses its subjugated population more than Israel oppresses the Palestinians? No cheating. Five minute time limit!

dubiousone, I'll take that attempt at changing topics to mean that you have nothing to contribute to this thread.

this isn't about your dislike of israeli treatment of palestinians. as a matter of fact the palestinians are COMPLETELY irrelevant to this topic. please refer to the title of the thread to understand why. the topic was discussing the reimprisonment of mr. vanunu.

some people never miss an opportunity to hop on a soap box.

if you want to trash israeli policies, start the 78th million thread on that topic and join the club.

some of us like to discuss other topics and im sick and tired of this tactic that you and others employ every time the word "israel" is mentioned.

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Djarums]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I hate starting two consecutive posts but they are totally unrelated so I'll just do so anyways.

I really have to comment on something that a lot of people are saying in their posts.

I keep noticing opinions that the guy couldn't have still known anything or revealed anything that could damage Israel in any way. I have to wonder how any of you could make comments like that. It is the height of irresponsibility to make a statement like that without knowing what you're talking about. Are you able to claim, with full knowledge of the situation that everything Mr. Vanunu was aware of is no longer current, no longer valid, or publicly known to the entire world? This wasn't 100 years ago we're talking about. Someone in his position who was privvy to the things he was can still cause plenty of damage years later. If he thinks it's appropriate to blab about it, well that's their country and their policies will address it. Your commentary about Israel being assholes is entirely irrelevant here.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
You're right Djarums, that did get a bit off topic.

FredT said:
Why allow Israel to run unchecked.

Dekay said:
Keep Isreal in check with the rest of the world powers and don't let them kill innocent natives and displace them from THEIR land. What percentage of Congress is currently Jewish? Maybe that's why we don't say "Boo."

It wasn't enitely off topic, however. The original post dealt with the danger that Israel's nuclear WMD program poses to its neighbors and the world in general. I very much agree that there should be a full inspection of Israel's nuclear WMD aresenal. Israel runs unchecked in more ways than just its internal development of WMDs.

top topics

join