It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pokemon Teaches Kids Dogfighting is Okay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
So, let's say I have a pokemon. And I teach that pokemon to bite. And that Pokemon goes right for the jugular. Super effective!
Health goes down, the other guy's pokemon "faints".

Now, let's say I do that in real life. I'm looking at a felony. People are gonna call me a monster. A dog fighter.
It's an odd concept for a kid's game. Then again, the japanese have never been big on animal rights.

If this game were from Mexico, people would immediately be like, "Uh... That's a little bit offensive. I mean, I took my kid to Tijuana to see a real Pokemon fight, and it was just awful. Blood, everywhere."

Why is it okay? Let's say I put out a game called Valentine. And in Valentine, you're responsible for driving a bunch of women around to meet their dates for Valentines. At the end of the date, they come back and give you money. Perfectly okay to sell to kids, right?

No! That would be messed up. Parents would boycott it. I mean, these are the parents who boycotted Legend Of Zelda for having alleged Muslim symbols in it. But then again, the kind of people who are so up in arms about the muslims don't tend to be so considerate of animal rights.

Just because something is a cartoon doesn't make it okay for kids. Like the Simpsons. I have a personal beef against that show, for how it depicts violence against children as okay. It is wrong to make animals fight eachother for the amusement of man. I ain't no PETA type. I eat a steak with no remorse. But I don't make the cows fight eachother before hand, and doom them to a life of fighting and confinement inside whatever is in that personal hell they call a pokeball.

I remember Tom and Jerry. Now, there's a show I could get behind. It's a rat. A cat should fight a rat. Natural order of things.. Kids used to watch good shows. Scooby Doo fought crime. Now, it's all "wacky" antics. These fools wouldn't know laughter if it came up and bit them.

Now, Bugs Bunny had some savage cartoons, less than politically correct ones, but he didn't make a career out of it. It was just a couple. "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips", and "All This And Rabbit Stew". It wasn't hundreds of episodes of what amounts to dog fighting. Pretty brutal, in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

It's actually quite sad what passes as entertainment in this age. People will rationalize it by saying that it's only mindless entertainment but I do believe that these things plant seeds within us.

In the same way, this entertainment acts as a mirror, showing what we have come to find acceptable.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

s*** is real, bro!

You ever been to Lavender Town?

s*** ain't no joke!

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Ridiculous. I was just reading the other day about how Chloe Moretz responded to Jim Carrey's stance regarding promoting Kick Ass 2 in light of the violence it exhibits. Her response, quite simply, was that she didn't really understand his reluctance to promote the movie given that girls who watch Disney movies don't grow up to believe they are princesses, and people who watch Harry Potter don't grow up to believe they are wizards.

If you watch Pokemon and immediately go out and engage in dog fights, it's more likely that Pokemon brought out a preexisting condition that should have been caught and investigated by your parents before you ever watched the show. Pokemon also teaches loyalty, friendship, team work, honesty, compassion, and determination. But we're not seeing anything about that now, are we?

Stop using television as an excuse for bad parenting.

edit on 15-8-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It's still real to me dang-it!

No, I think you're think to far into it. It's like blaming a painting game like Mario Paint on graffiti. I doubt video games cause violence. Unless you're not right in the head.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Exactly, and on top of that it's actually hypnotizing kids into playing the game!

Mudkip is one such demon, seducing kids into listening to its devilish drone for hours on end. 10 hours to be exact.

Look at that, millions....Mudkip must be stopped.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Nah you're stretching. I have never once wanted a level 47 rottweiler, to fight your level 30 pitbull. Not really a fair fight..

I always wanted to skip school have no responsibilities, raise monsters and save the world man geez. Of course I didn't do any of that either..

Actually... It's about Japanese programming kids in America to blow up the evil united states in F-15s after they catch em all and become chinpokomon masters... Der...

Chinpokomon (South Park)

Seeing as how pokemon is cuter than most games and teaches morals like careing and loving your pokemon in contrast to some of the bad guys who treat them wrong, I hope it's still around when I have kids. Besides then I'll have an excuse to get back into the game..

What you think you can take on Daddy's Charizard.. Bring it kid.

However football IS EVIL!!!!!!

Gladwell: why college football is like dog fighting

Fareed speaks with Malcolm Gladwell, longtime ‘New Yorker’ staff writer and best-selling author of ‘The Tipping Point’ and ‘Outliers’ about American college football – and whether it’s time to stop it altogether

hahaha..
edit on 8/15/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Pokemon aren't animals unless you make that correlation yourself subjectively.

They are representative of animal-like physical qualities though.

I can see nature through a perspective of a Pokemon world as I grew up with the games and cards.
That said, i've never once felt the urge to force one animal to fight another for any reason.

It's the same reason we are able to control and reason,
after driving like a lunatic in Grand Theft Auto,
then driving the speed limit behind the wheel of a real car.
edit on 15-8-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

And bugs bunny cross-dresses and tries to seduce Elmer Fudd.

Welcome to the world of fiction and cartoons.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Yup thats right... i watched Pokemon since i was grade 7.. which was like 15 yrs ago..

and i turned up okay. *dog fight trophies in the background*

Jokes aside... kids nowadays are pretty stupid, but even they are not gonna be given "privilege" to train a dog.

Kid learn from real life experience... if they see it done in real life, they will imitate it.. they know cartoon is not real.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

BOTH my younger brothers LOVED Pokemon when they were younger. I remember seeing them battle it out like it was going outta style. I mean they had everything, the cards, the pokeballs with plastic pokemon inside, DVD's and a ton of other merchandise. To this day, they can sing the intro theme song perfectly!

But guess what? Both now have dogs, one has a German Sheppard and the other a pit mix. The dogs are like children to them, and never once have they even considered dog fighting. Both dogs are awesome little guys too. Both my brothers also hate animal cruelty, my youngest brother actually volunteers at a local shelter after school. (More lately seeing he's got summer vacation.)

Although I see the point you're trying to raise, I don't think Pokemon can be blamed for little jerks fighting dogs. Animal cruelty is a thing that resides in a person no matter what they watch. They want to see the animals get hurt. It's sick amusement. I know, I've worked at a humane shelter where we saw quite a few dogs come in totally destroyed by the fighting, many had to be put to sleep due to their wounds, others because they were unstable, unable to be rehabilitated.

If anything, I'd blame the parents. Or just bypass the parents and understand that animal cruelty is just a step away from someone committing murder.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Hey I'm a 22 year old American guy. Ill be an example. I use to be a Pokemon addict, when it first came out I was 7. I am an animal lover, and dog fighting is not ok with me!

Your claims are a real reach!
Almost a joke when you think about ummmmmm:
Wiley and Roadrunner
Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fud/Daffy Duck
Tom and Jerry
Popeye
Get real Grifter42, there are bigger threats to children then pokemon.

Oversensitive much?
This thread is a complete joke.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
This thread is a joke, BUT now i want to go play me some Pokemon!

Gotta catch 'em all!

That 10 hour mudkip video has nearly 2 million views?!?!?
edit on 15-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

(post by mirllall removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by chiroden removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

join