It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Sideways Rocket Hop' By SpaceX Prototype

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Didn't see this in search. If it's a duplicate, Mods please do your thing.

Source

The engineers at SpaceX this week successfully launched a 10-story rocket to an altitude of about 800 feet, moved it about 330 feet sideways and then brought the "Grasshopper" back down to its landing pad. According to Space.com, the Grasshopper project "aims to make spaceflight cheaper and more efficient than current systems that use expendable rockets that burn up in Earth's atmosphere after lifting their payloads into space."

SpaceX is the first commercial company to have a spacecraft at the International Space Station. It's led , who has also been in the news this week because he thinks to whisk passengers across the USA at 800 mph.

In other space-related news, that "the Navy and NASA are testing out how they'll recover astronauts once they splash down in the ocean following future missions to deep space, something a Navy crew hasn't had to do in nearly 40 years. On Thursday, a team of Navy divers and the crew of the USS Arlington planned to practice retrieving a mock-up of the Orion space capsule from the waters at Naval Station Norfolk in southeastern Virginia."

Very cool stuff! I remember years ago seeing a NASA prototype for thrust vectoring pulling off similar maneuvers. Bet it would be a heck of a ride.
edit on 15-8-2013 by Gu1tarJohn because: Bacon

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
i saw this a few weeks ago i was amazed and mesmerized by it, everything in side me was waiting for it to blast off into the distant atmosphere, but it just doesnt! so weird!

Looking forward to some interesting new concepts for mars and beyond!

edit on 15-8-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I posted a thread a while back here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think it's the same launch from a different view pretty cool snf

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gu1tarJohn

That was some amazing footage. To Mars and beyond.....

The Bot

top topics

join