It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Third WB-57F has taken its first flight.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
uk.flightaware.com...

Third WB-57F high altitude airframe has taken its maiden flight. I've loved these aircraft ever since I saw one up close as a youngster. Good to see a third example refurbed and put to good use in the future.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Astr0

NASA let me watch from suit up to launch with one of their birds. It was really cool. It takes a couple hours to get in the suit.

The original B-57 came through a few times too (civilian owned but they let him come to the military side to park). Got to go on that too. Good God talk about basic and cramped.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by Astr0

NASA let me watch from suit up to launch with one of their birds. It was really cool. It takes a couple hours to get in the suit.

The original B-57 came through a few times too (civilian owned but they let him come to the military side to park). Got to go on that too. Good God talk about basic and cramped.

From suitto launch?
too cool
Yeah I see how long they have to get it together, no wonder they needed a third bird!
As for the original, well, they really didn't want to build creature comforts in them did they? good job people back thenwere smaller in both height and waist!
edit on 15-8-2013 by Astr0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Astr0

3rd Fight completed yesterday, Short ferry flight on the 9th followed by one on the 13th and one 14th.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Astr0

Yeah, it was really cool to watch. Thing climbs like a bat out of hell with the TF33 engines, and that long wing.

When I got to go on the B-57, all I could think at the time was "Thank god I'm skinny."
Then you look at the instrument panel, and it's like "Dear god pilots today have it easy."

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ajsr71
reply to post by Astr0

3rd Fight completed yesterday, Short ferry flight on the 9th followed by one on the 13th and one 14th.

Nice, just glad they got another one into the air. Would love to see the working photos of restoration.

@ Zaphod - its certainly no place for a chunky fella like me
I'd of been tucked in too snuck to breath.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Amazing that these aircraft are still used today......!!

The original 'Canberra's' were produced by English Electric in the UK and the prototypes for them were mid-late 40's.....yes 1940's...
en.wikipedia.org...

The WB-57F was a plane built in the USA under license to replace the 'marauder(?)'...

Nice to see you Yanks still flying BRITISH aircraft all these years later....

;-)

PDUK

new topics

top topics

join