It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AAAARGH - You, Your & You're. English 101

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Something tells me that I'll probably weather that storm LadyV!

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
We�re a little confuse the airprot here.
But no worries, please don�t cause confuse.
I�ll give you all a massage when I know more...

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merkin

Originally posted by SkipShipman...now you vote for the guy has lowered your paycheck!

That started off really well but you let yourself down badly with the 'money shot' above.

Oh the truth hurts! You're proving the point very well, but never mind, go back to sleep now.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Skip,

My intention, when starting this thread, was not to cause a sh1t throwing contest between those who write perfect English, and those who do not.

I admit I was being a little facetious with that last comment, but I do find it hard to resist these little 'gifts!'

Merkin

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Skip,

My intention, when starting this thread, was not to cause a sh1t throwing contest between those who write perfect English, and those who do not.

Merkin

Whenever a grammar thread is started...it has never failed to start a "sh1t throwing contest". It's just not the thing to do for all the reasons that have been posted.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Skip,

I admit I was being a little facetious with that last comment, but I do find it hard to resist these little 'gifts!'

Merkin

Now at least people can say what they mean, and mean what they say. Thanks very much because we all need a copy of Microsoft Word to clipboard then spellcheck and grammar check all our posts here. I hope I didn't make any grammatical errors here, but of course that was the point all along. Your thoughful remarks are surely an inspiration. I wanted of course to track down possible reasons why people make these careless grammatical errors. Yes I did go a little overboard, but "what the heck."

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I remember two pieces of good advise I try to live by:

1) Live by the song 'Simple Man' by Lynard Skynard - keep life simple.

2) As long as you can see the picture that someone is trying to paint, then it doesn't matter what paint they use.

If you know what someone is saying, why does it matter how they spell or what words they use? Psycologist have said this type of pet-peeve comes from the ego. An educated person wants to put themselves above others and will use this as a tool to do just that.

You're not above your use of you, your and you're.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
...it has never failed to start a "sh1t throwing contest".

Well LadyV, I see that now and won't be falling into this trap again! As a side note to your post, punctuation should always be placed within parenthesis, so you should have written "sh1t throwing contest."

Couldn't resist, I'll retire to my leather upholstered Chesterfield now and continue thumbing through The Bible and shouting to God about the grammatical and spelling errors therein!

Merkin

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   

As a side note to your post, punctuation should always be placed within parenthesis, so you should have written "sh1t throwing contest."

Merkin

$#@% %^%$ *&^&% #$@#$ ^ *& %$#%
So there!

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The other ones that seem to always be mixed up are there, their, and they're...but still, I know proper grammar and sometimes find myself using the wrong word accidentally just because I will type so fast that I don't really think about it that much. I don't think there is anyone here grading our spelling and grammar, as long as it is coherent and gets the point of the post across to the reader, then it doesn't matter to me.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I've posted this before it still makes me laugh.

THE PHAOMNNEAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID

Aoccdrnig to a rseearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the only prmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?
Now I'm tinkihng aobut all the tmie I
wtsead in sochol lrenanig how to slpel..

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
WOW, that's awesome Suaron. You're right, I could understand your entire post without stopping to think about it.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Ok i think all has been said in this thread now,

Thread closed,

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join