It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AAAARGH - You, Your & You're. English 101

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
i cant stand it when people say "or" on the end of everything. I am a roxor haxor, you are a 1337 suxor.
lame-o lol

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azeari of the Radiant Eye
Its the incorrect use of apostrophe's that get's to me!

Exactly. How many times do we have to see someone using the apostrophe to pluralize something? Argh.
That was basic grammar I thought -- didn't I learn it back in one of the elementary grade's?

Apostrophe added for effect.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
It cld b wrs, ppl cud bgn 2 uz v txtn styl lyk vay do 4 cll fones. Vn freds wid b mo lyk #pl8s van v Mthr tng. B4 lng v vwlsl gt drppd. I h8 tht.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
My, oh, my, if you people that are english first language have problem with the language, imagine me...............sometimes I feel so frustrated when somebody wants to get at me for my mispellings.

I think the key word here is World Wide Web.

I have often PM'd someone to understand fully what they mean in a post.

Another aspect is of schooling, becuase one has proper grammer skills, does not mean the next person does, NOR should be shunned for not having such.

You're alright with me marg6043

Misfit

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Owe...eye sea your getting rather upset bye the common problem of ATS-induced homonymal dysfunction.

This rather bizarre affliction happens to awl of us sometimes. Eye first noticed it about too months after coming hear.

Aye remember thee most embarrasing case of it occurred when eye rote an email two Senator John McCain...that's when aye learned once ewe spend any thyme on ATS, it is most necessary too ALWAYS use you're grammar and spell checker.

Know worries, though. It comes and goes!

My innate grammar checker just croaked...thanks.

My biggest peave is "than" and "then", as well as "affect" and "effect"....

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Damn question; why W. SHAKESPEARE -- reincarned in Anglia??

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Pah, we may as well chip in the whole there / their debacle while we're here.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I haven't read all the responses so excuse me if I repeat. While we all have our little nit picks, mine happen to be the use of "seen" instead of "saw" and vise versa and "them" used for 'those", not everyone has the same level of education and not everyone is typing their native language...take marg as an example, goodness she does well! I couldn't even converse on a board in another language. Too bad politeness and understanding doesn't follow proper grammar!

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Atclualy, I hvae raed smoheewre it dsonet mttear how you slepl a wrod, it can siltl be raed as lnog as you hvae the fsirt and the lsat lteetr in the rgiht pacle

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
So wait, why does someone's grammar matter?

I must be confused....

I didn't realize we were writing thesis papers here.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
ure wierd...

alotta ATSers are not from america / britain so they cannot talk well...

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
ure wierd...

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
ure wierd...

alotta ATSers are not from america / britain so they cannot talk well...

U mean caant tlak good doun't u

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Eye hope know won is lead to believe that anyone mines if ewe type something wrong... hee hee

Fun with Homonymns

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merkin
You - Yes you, and me. Example: "Can you help me?"

Your - Possesive. Example: "Is that your toothbrush?"

You're - Abbreviation of 'you are'. Example: "You're an idiot."

Now, how not to do it.

"Can I borrow you're toothbrush?" - or, in English, "Can I borrow you are toothbrush?"

"Your an idiot!" - or, again in English, "This is your 'an idiot''", or, "an idiot belonging to you."

Comment: Caution, you have been vaccinated too many times, you're almost autistic. Your brain is almost dysfunctional. You have been using too much fluoride toothpaste; you're going to read the label recognizing it as a poison. You have been fighting too long in Iraq; you're going to have to take massive amounts of chelating remedies to your depleted uranium overdose. Your education system is in ruins, due to plans by wealthy men to create dummies who obey orders such as "take your forklift down to 2b warehouse A, get a full case of all items above."

You're a dummy; your intelligence quotient has been reduced as a consequence, now you vote for the guy has lowered your paycheck! Don't forget you have to wave your plastic chinese slave labor USA flag to show your agreement with all of the above. Make sure you don't study the Constitution and know you have rights. Yes you are a dummy, but you know all the answers because Bill O'Reilley told you so, and you can grunt the same words.

Be a nice "gruntled employee," you would not even think about being a disgruntled one!

[edit on 11-11-2004 by SkipShipman]

d1k

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merkin
You - Yes you, and me. Example: "Can you help me?"

Your - Possesive. Example: "Is that your toothbrush?"

You're - Abbreviation of 'you are'. Example: "You're an idiot."

Now, how not to do it.

"Can I borrow you're toothbrush?" - or, in English, "Can I borrow you are toothbrush?"

"Your an idiot!" - or, again in English, "This is your 'an idiot''", or, "an idiot belonging to you."

Welcome to the Internet, enjoy your stay.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkipShipman...now you vote for the guy has lowered your paycheck!

That started off really well but you let yourself down badly with the 'money shot' above.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Us plebs, siLLy gart in 'da way two mooch. does U think. Slong as youre opinions can be pressed, Idears put across does matter!?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Merkin,
You need to really be on your (improper hu?) toes from here on out. I have never seen a person that posted a grammar thread that didn't make mistakes themselves and now every post you make will be picked apart for spelling, punctuation, and grammar....

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

as posted by Merkin
Maybe we should start our own spelling and grammar police for ATS.

Wrong answer and wrong solution.
It will get out of hand, will cause further division and alienation.
I have a suggestion:

How about simply ignore the grammar English 101 issues?

Uhm... can I vote for 'no' -- particularly when it comes to what's supposed to be community representing text pieces such as op-eds, research, or news stories. I have just cringed over some of the news headlines I've seen with grammatical and spelling mistakes. I do admit to having a degree in English, which makes me somewhat pickier than most.

You're right that on a common message level, we do NOT need grammar police (and this is particularly true, given that we have people here whose native language is NOT English.) But I think we need a little more rigorous editing of some of the news pieces... and a bit of spelling checking and syntax checking wouldn't hurt.

Most have mentioned my pet peeves. Another that aggravates me is the abuse of 'affect' and 'effect'.

<< 1    3 >>

join