It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for Knife advice - Sonoran Desert

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Hi, I'm currently looking into getting a knife for camping and hiking in the Sonoran Desert. For the past year I've been doing light hiking and camping and have ran into numerous situations where a knife would be extremely handy but didn't have one

I was originally thinking about getting a multi-tool leatherman and machete combo but I'm starting to gear more towards a survival / tactical knife like the Ka-Bar. I'm currently looking at:

KA-BAR 1213 Black Fighting/Utility Knife, Kydex Sheath, 7 in

Ka-Bar Kraton Handled Big Brother Knife
I like this one because I'm a bigger guy, 6'4" 230LBS. Reviewers have stated this is perfect for them.

I really like the 'murdered' out (all black) look of these knifes. Not a huge fan of the brown leather handles. I'm planning on hitting up a few pawn shops this week as well as R.E.I to handle some knives and I'm curious to what you guys recommend. I'm looking to spend under $100.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

Hiya Pro,

This is a picture of my SOG Seal knife, I've had it for 12-15 years and is still sharp as ever. It's my Go-To knife for campling.

Whatever you choose, stay with a full tang blade. Cold Steel is just a name (A good name though) and I hope you find what your looking for~

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Consider what you'll be doing with the knife in a camp/survival situation.

Bigger isnt always better and in my experience bigger has been quite detrimental.

If you're stuck on the kabar brand I'd go with the Becker D'Eskabar.

If you're not stuck on the brand give ESEE a look. Izulas or their 3 or 4 inch bladed knives are bombproof, easy to maintain, tested and guaranteed for life. Abuse it however you want and if somehow you manage to damage it send it back and you'll get a new one no questions asked.

A traditional Kabar like the ones you're looking at are fine solid knives but their blade shape and size may leave you wanting for something else.

Of course threads like these always devolve into fantasy and fanboyism anyway so whatever

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Cool!, I'm digging on the price they have on amazon. SOG Specialty Knives & Tools M37-N SEAL Pup
$.40.97 but reviewers are saying it's made in Taiwan??

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The Kar-Bar Beck D'Eskabar is a really great price as well on Amazon at $44.42 but I'm not impressed with the look
Current applications of the knife may include. Wood cutting / splitting. Food harvesting (Prickly pear, christmas cactus fruit) , Digging, Rope cutting and fish prep.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

As many people know I collect survival and tactical knives as well as antiques

But I do have my favorites for when I go into the bush

I keep 3 tactical survival kits ready at all times..

1 for a grab and go
1 for my Jeep
1 for a long term SHTF kit

These are my 3 favorite knives for those kits

1. Buck Hoodlum

There has been some negative press on this knife lately but my personal experience has been nothing short of amazing.. Efficient, light, strong...

1. Becker BK9

Heavier than the Hoodlum with more chopping power.. I've used this extensively, as all 3 knives,and found this to be an excellent survival choice

3. OKC Marine Raider Bowie

The largest and heaviest of the 3
I prefer a bowie blade so this is perhaps my favorite knife

As for a K-Bar, Marine knife
I love them being a Marine and all but find they are somewhat limited in a survival situation as a larger knife gives you more control and many more options

I would avoid any knife that has the serrated blade (Except on the back of the blade if you prefer) as you will find when doing fine work it limits carving ability actually making it almost impossible
The serrations are to assist in cutting.. Just keep your knife sharp.

Good luck and have fun

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Soldier of Fortune magazine wrote that fighting knives have a center of gravity closer to the tang, so chopping or cutting requires a lot more effort than with survival knives. Survival knives are heavier and weighted more towards the blade, slightly like an ax.

I guess what you will do with it determines which is best is you. Fine motions like cutting cloth or preparing food would favor a light fighting knife. Cutting branches or prying open what not or even digging would favor a heavier survival knife.

I like to buy the cheap one first, if it doesn't work you've wasted the least amount of money and probably learned something you might not have learned any other way.

Kraton is an interesting name for a knife. The core of a continent is called the craton, or kraton

Geologic Craton

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I've carried a Gerber Mark II Combat/Survival knife since the early 70's. Still razor sharp and has never let me down.

Mark II Combat Survival Knife

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The Cold Steel SRK knife is a very very good knife. Its the standard issue for the Navy Seals. SRK= Survival, Rescue, Knife. and is very well made, balanced, extremely strong, and is a thick blade for uses other thatn cutting.

I,ve had mine for about 4 years, and can still cut through paper with ease, ive even butcherd a deer with it. lol

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I'm really diggin that Becker Bk9 listed for $81.98 on amazon

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

As for a K-Bar, Marine knife
I love them being a Marine and all but find they are somewhat limited in a survival situation as a larger knife gives you more control and many more options

dunno about that there, brother.

the one you gave to Jeanie and I

seems to have plenty of chopping power, with a properly sharpened blade, and easily goes through a 3"-4" sapling in little time at all.

THAT and I wouldn't be afraid to skin a buck or filet a fish with immediately thereafter.

THANKS. It's a GREAT KNIFE.

Balanced. Rugged. Holds a Helluva'n Edge.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

They are an excellent and well made knife

For an all around, military fighting knife, they are perhaps unsurpassed...

There are just a lot more options out there for a general survival knife now..

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Agreed.

It's nice to have something with a little more meat to the blade for constructing housing, clearing areas and such.

less wear and tear on both knife and user.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

The Becker comes with a wonderful sheath as well

One of the best I have acquired

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I'm not seeing anything on the Amazon listing that indicates a sheath.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Anything manufactured out of Old German Steel.

Bring your wallet.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Ebay

Sheath and all

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Consider what you'll be doing with the knife in a camp/survival situation.

Bigger isnt always better and in my experience bigger has been quite detrimental.

If you're stuck on the kabar brand I'd go with the Becker D'Eskabar.

If you're not stuck on the brand give ESEE a look. Izulas or their 3 or 4 inch bladed knives are bombproof, easy to maintain, tested and guaranteed for life. Abuse it however you want and if somehow you manage to damage it send it back and you'll get a new one no questions asked.

A traditional Kabar like the ones you're looking at are fine solid knives but their blade shape and size may leave you wanting for something else.

Of course threads like these always devolve into fantasy and fanboyism anyway so whatever

Excellent advice, funny it was ignored. ESEE knives have a good rep on the Bushcraft USA site. For camping and bushcraft survival they are tough to beat. Oddly, the Becker bowie style blade is not full tang and not that great a blade for camping and many other bushcrafty duties.

A shorter 4 inch stout carbon steel blade with full tang and a scandi grind is a wise choice. But alas, many shop for a "tacto military" style or look, never caring about the comfort, practical usefulness side of things.

edit on 14-8-2013 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
In all my years in the Marines, and on the farm and teaching survival, I have NEVER needed a smaller knife

I have however found myself needing a larger knife MANY times

May just be personal experience but I have carved traps, tent stakes and even a wooden flute with that Becker

I have also cut firewood, built shelter and cleared brush; things I can NOT do with a smaller knife

Just my personal experience.. Take from it what you will

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

That's a pretty reasonable knife too...
Eighty something bucks? Nice.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
In my opinion KA-BAR is overpriced junkola. I recommend the cold steel bushman series. You just cant kill it. I guarantee you wont wreck that knife.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join