It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near-death experiences are 'electrical surge in dying brain'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Yes, I believe that the visions presented in NDEs are just the same as dreams. Are you familiar with the concept of deja-vu? Go look at the science behind that as well.

Regarding the "BLIND" woman... Why was she blind? Was the issue with her eyes, the rods and cones, possibly the nerves in the eyes, or the neural pathways to the visual cortex in the brain? Maybe she had brain damage in her visual cortex which caused the blindness, which would make sense that area could be re-activated for a short duration during a huge electrical spike in the brain.

So no, these handful of incidents proves nothing about your fantasy, just that all possible reasons for the events haven't been exhausted yet. The problem with these events is that repeating the conditions that caused the NDE, in the same person, is highly unethical and so it's hard to run controlled studies on NDEs.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Here's the thing. I have a hard time reading information that's pretending to be science, and that's what most of that literature is. The book on the boy who had a NDE, and "met his sister" and what not, was floating around my house for awhile. The first 5 pages of the book explained most of his NDE and where all the angels/jesus visions came from. The boy's father is a minister. Yet the summary of the book generally forgets to mention this information. Perhaps his parents didn't tell him about angels yet ( yeah right ) but I would be amazed if they didn't have christian paraphernalia and paintings lining their walls at home.

I could go on about that one incident, how the chances of his parents never mentioning a miscarried child around the son - even when they were pregnant with their son - is almost zero, but you can just google any of the case names and add in the word hoax at the end, and come up with some real critiques of the events.

How hard is it to think that life evolved a mechanism to help death be more peaceful? Death is natural and something that will happen to every creature, plant and organism in the universe - eventually.
edit on 17-8-2013 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by spirited75

Originally posted by Evil_Santa
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Oh, but jesus doesn't approve of science, so it must be false.

Jesus does too approve of science---He invented it along with His dad, God.

Christian churches have always supported science.

Christian churches and schools teach children all about science.

Giordano Bruno disagrees with the above statements. So does Hypatia and Galileo. You're just delusional, and not worth my time to try and have a semi-logical conversation with.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Evil_Santa

The truth is much more beautiful and simpler when it's

NOT

denied and fought tooth and toenail beyond all hint of reason.

IT sounds to me like you were a poor psychologist in assessing the authenticity of the assertions of both Colton and his parents.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

unless you have read my statement to those
three individuals and solicited their comment
that they disagree with my statement,
then you sir are lying.

and telling lies is more of a delusional
diagnosis than what i iterated.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

The truth is much more beautiful and simpler when it's

NOT

denied and fought tooth and toenail beyond all hint of reason.

IT sounds to me like you were a poor psychologist in assessing the authenticity of the assertions of both Colton and his parents.

Here's a quote from someone who read the book.

Colton was three years old when he nearly died. His preacher father wrote the book, which includes such claims as that Jesus assigned Colton homework while in heaven and that everybody there has wings. The whole story reeks of fraud. Nice way to make a buck, though, since there are obviously many people out there drooling over such stories (the book was number 1 in non-fiction paperbacks on the NY Times best-seller list for 59 weeks!).

www.skepdic.com...

Jesus assigning homework in heaven? LOL. The kid was 3 years old, and his parents are heavily invested in their beliefs. Maybe the kid had a '___' experience, and started describing it, and his parents "filled in the voids" for him. The kid now has a constructed memory of "heaven" and the stories in the book are true in his memory, but the experience is one that has been adulterated by his father's involvement. No 3 year old will understand what heaven really is. Hell, is there even a consensus within the christian community on what heaven is?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Reality is nothing but electrical surges in the brain. So near death experiences are... Reality.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join