It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near-death experiences are 'electrical surge in dying brain'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Why do I like the original title of the story better?
www.cbsnews.com...
Because it clearly states that "Near death experiences AREN'T figments of imagination"
There that's better.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Well, I don't believe that naming something gives it a soul. I do believe that the ancient people realized that animals had consciousness though, consciousness is sort of like a soul.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Evil_Santa

It appears that you have not read a single veridical case.

Evidently you are not bold enough to question your own beliefs.

Fancy that.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evil_Santa
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Oh, but jesus doesn't approve of science, so it must be false.

Jesus does too approve of science---He invented it along with His dad, God.

Christian churches have always supported science.

Christian churches and schools teach children all about science.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I've got a question.... If you have and NDE and you go to heaven or hell for a brief period of time, does that not invalidate your own christian scriptures? I always thought that no man sees heaven until after the day of judgement? That's what I was told anyhow.......

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I'd also add that most NDEs experienced by human beings occur well after the electrical signals in the brain have stopped firing. This study also fails to explain the enhanced perception that individuals receive during this experience by describing the activity in the room during total loss of brain function.

I think the researchers are at least honest in their conclusion:

"[But] we should be extremely cautious before drawing any conclusions about human near-death experiences: it is one thing to measure brain activity in rats during cardiac arrest, and quite another to relate that to human experience."

edit on 15-8-2013 by usertwelve because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a near death experience is indeed electrical impulses.
the subject does not experience it as electrical impulses.
this is the same as every single other experience in life.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Where do you get that only humans have a soul/awareness? I am pretty sure cats are very in tune with themselves on a level that humans only can imagine noticing things we do not since we are blinded by our lack of senses. The soul only in human is the human specie thinking it is special and unique and even on top of the evolutionary chain.
. We clearly have a very inflated ego about ourselves.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PersephonesRealm
reply to post by The0nlytruth

These electrical surges are due to a chemical known as dimethyltryptamine abbreviated as '___'. It is a chemical released in quantity when we are born, when we die and when we dream. It is thought to be the "gateway" to the subconscious. It is used in many south american tribes and other cultures as a method of inducing a spiritual enlightenment.

And is probably released from the pineal gland that is by some culture called the third eye/all seeing eye that when activated makes some people feel tingles on the forehead.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneManArmy

Originally posted by PersephonesRealm
reply to post by The0nlytruth

These electrical surges are due to a chemical known as dimethyltryptamine abbreviated as '___'. It is a chemical released in quantity when we are born, when we die and when we dream. It is thought to be the "gateway" to the subconscious. It is used in many south american tribes and other cultures as a method of inducing a spiritual enlightenment.

the word THOUGHT being the key word here, because no one actually knows.
Its so strange that D.M.T can cause the same visions in so many people, so strange in fact that it might not even have anything to do with D.M.T at all. But its a convenient answer for the materialistic/provable world proponents in science.
edit on 14-8-2013 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

I do not mind them figuring out how it works in the material world but it does not prove the spiritual is false but how the body/hardware we use work to create the experiance.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by The0nlytruth

Near-death experiences are 'electrical surge in dying brain'

www.bbc.co.uk

From bright white lights to out-of-body sensations and feelings of life flashing before their eyes, the experiences reported by people who have come close to death but survived are common the world over.

However, studying this in humans is a challenge, and these visions are little understood.

To find out more, scientists at the University of Michigan monitored nine rats as they were dying.

In the 30-second period after the animal's hearts stopped beating, they measured a sharp increase in high-frequency brainwaves called gamma oscillations.

These pulses are one of....
(visit the link for the full news article)

dying rats brain convoultions (gamma oscillations) are not whats happening in human NDEs...
it is completely in error to associate the two reflex actions whose only linkage is the chemical-electrical process of all animals' brains

the human NDE is more a set seqyence that happens because of brain stress/trauma and might be more alligned with massive releases of endorphins to the nervous ystem... those chemical releases are thought (by some) to mimic the experiences of '___' which is a certain tryptamine SEE: www.youtube.com...
myself I go along with that line of thought...
becuse there does not seem to be mystical or spiritual progressions in a NDE...it all seems a mindane reaction by our minds to 'come-to-grips' with the nearness/immeduacy of our moment of death

i expect NDEs are the typical persons unconscious awareness (at that lower level of comprehension) of being in a terminal state....

in religion they innaccurately refer to that state as being "In Paradise"... where the NDE gives the person the choice of returning to the living OR staying in a state of Ecstacy (being high) for eternity...which many NDE survivors speak of

hell i been there, making that choice twice before --- 1972 & 1997
edit on 15-8-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Everything is Energy .

Consciousness is Energy .

Every Thing is the result of Consciousness .

my NDE

www.nderf.org...

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Unexplaining The Unexplained

Originally posted by usertwelve
I think the researchers are at least honest in their conclusion:

Indeed. None of the researchers involved in this study claimed to have explained NDEs, and were careful to recommend against jumping to conclusions based on their work.

Unfortunately, the tabloid reporter who crafted the bogus headline (that must, by the forum guidelines, be the title of this thread) was apparently not careful enough to actually read the sources she falsely 'quoted' and jumped to a conclusion anyway.

Thus most of the debate, discussion and argument in this thread is based on what a BBC journalist made up from whole cloth, and not science at all.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by stormcell
That electrical surge could be anything - your consciousness collecting the last memories and putting them in a suitcase before departing, or storing those memories after returning. Where those surges occurred would be a bit more informative.

Correct. The fact that there are electrical impulses does not prove they cause someone to hallucinate a NDE. The article stated the impulses cause an INCREASE in consciousness which doesn't correlate to an increase in hallucinations.

What they are seeing could be part of the biological process of a NDE. It could be part of the process of the soul discounting from the body.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

It is indeed produced in the pineal gland, or at least plays a role in production of dmt. :-) The pineal gland also produces serotonin and melatonin, both wake/dream regulators. Research was done by Dr. Rich Srassman in the 1990's that suggested the release of dmt at the time of (or near) death was responsible for NDE's. And yep, some people who have done dmt have had out of body experiences. Little is known about dmt because of its very recent discovery but people have long spoken of a "third eye" and the ability to tap into the subconscious. We only use roughly 10% of our brain now. Who knows what we could do if we used say 75 or even 100%....

~Alex Grey comes to mind and I'm a big fan!

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

UNMITIGATED NONSENSE.

1. That would NOT explain folks rising above their bodies in the hospital room and seeing a sneaker someone had thrown on top of a ventilation duct.

2. That would NOT explain Colton Burpo (HEAVEN IS FOR REAL) seeing his still born sister that his parents had never told anyone about and that they did not even know was a girl.

3. That would NOT explain Colton Burpo recognizing his Grandpa's pic & knowing his name when the Grandpa was 30 years old when he had never been told about his Grandpa nor seen such pics before.

4. That would NOT explain Colton Burpo seeing his Dad praying alone in a small room while Colton's body was on the operating table in a different room.

etc.
etc.
etc.
many 100's of times over.

Pretend super rationalist objectivists can cling to their fantasies all they want. They'd better tighten their death grip on such fantasies. Our era is about to have a flood of 'supernatural' demonstrations from both God & His angel armies and satan & his crew.

Choose this day whom you will serve.

Hint . . . Darwin is not an option.

Nor, really, is the bloke in your mirror.

This.

Neither does it explain the guy who knew what his nurse looked like who cared for him whilst he was in coma.

I mean, I'm sure that some weird physical stuff DOES happen in the brain when people are having OBE. And this experiment showed that.. physical stuff does in fact happen in the brain. Cool.

The big assumption the scientists/deniers are making is that the electrical charge is the "explanation" when it could potentially just be like an extra factor arising from some bigger thing going on.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LoveFurther

ABSOLUTELY INDEED.

However, in my experience . . . hyper pretend objectivists

and RELIGION OF SCIENCE acolytes

spare no effort in grasping at straws to deny the supernatural and the soul and eternity for the soul of us all . . . one place or another.

There aren't a lot of options.

That's what jangles everyone's sensibilities at the root of all the blather, imho.

And the NDE's give too much solid evidence affirming the Biblical description of reality for the naysayers to remotely be able to tolerate accepting such a reality and adjusting their choices accordingly.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

ELF

Everyone
Lives
Forever

one place or the other.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
What about 'out of body' experiences? They are real because the testomony I have read seems very convincing and in my opinion cannot be faked.

The only way to prove that is to stop a Rats heart then restart it. Do this in a controled enviroment where there are certain objects in the room. Once the Rat has been revived and has recovered then comence with a controled interview and ask the rat certain controlled question.

Sadly I see a slight problem with the above experiment but I just cannot quite put my finger on it....

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Evil_Santa

Just that during NDE's there is significant electrical activity.

except when there's not, lol.

other posters have pointed out that some people either know things that couldn't be known by them (like people who have been blind their whole lives being able to describe seeing for the first time), or that the person was actually brain dead when their NDE happened. there are more than a few documented cases of this occurring, which leads me to believe that while brain activity may increase sometimes when the brain begins to die, it is not an adequate explanation due to the exceptions.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join