It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near-death experiences are 'electrical surge in dying brain'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Near-death experiences are 'electrical surge in dying brain'

www.bbc.co.uk

From bright white lights to out-of-body sensations and feelings of life flashing before their eyes, the experiences reported by people who have come close to death but survived are common the world over.

However, studying this in humans is a challenge, and these visions are little understood.

To find out more, scientists at the University of Michigan monitored nine rats as they were dying.

In the 30-second period after the animal's hearts stopped beating, they measured a sharp increase in high-frequency brainwaves called gamma oscillations.

These pulses are one of the neuronal fea
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
OK,

Although I respect the research and value scientists.....

The 'experts' are trying to tell me, that when the hundreds of thousands of people, throughout the age of mankind, who have witnessed or experienced an NDE, have merely experienced a sudden electrical surge, a last dying breath if you will.

However, as I believe early human religion was merely a kindergarten experience of spirituality, this more or less proves the existence of the soul, stay with me on this....

Right, If you have a machine which fundamentally relies on electrical pulses and messages as its means of function i.e. a computer/brain, when you 'Switch it off' you will get a last dying breath from the machine, the last surge of electrical impulses.

When electrons discharge, they go back into the source of energy in which it came.

Electrons from battery acid will go back into the battery when used.

So theoretically, as the last charge of energy is discharged form the brain where does it go?As we learned in intro physics, everything is made up of atoms, and atoms are made up of protons, neutrons and electrons. Protons have a positive charge, neutrons have a neutral charge, and electrons have a negative charge. When these charges are out of balance, an atom becomes either positively or negatively charged.

The switch between one type of charge and the other allows electrons to flow from one atom to another, so maybe this is how the soul leaves the body, through the last discharge! That is the question science needs to gather evidence for with physical experimentation, not experimenting on mice and giving a result that would equal that of experimentation on a modern day computer.

The scientists could of experimented on computers and got the same ir not similar results.

Good Day.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Scientists are grasping straw-men trying to explain why people experience NDE's....and falsley think that consciousness arises becauses of brain matter.

The Brain is just a physical interface for consciousness to interact with.

Consciousness exists prior to matter, and does not depend on matter to exist. I clearly remember pre-existing prior to being born in a body and know that when this shell/vessel dies, I as conscious/awareness, will continue and go back to whee I came from.

It's going to take a few more decades before scientists finally step out of materialism and acknowledge that Consciousness exists devoid of material physicality......

Right now they are all thinking the world is flat, when it comes to NDE's. It time this will change, and a small handful of scientists are already putting forth the theory of nonlocal consciousness. Give it a few more decades

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by The0nlytruth

So, are you suggesting that these rats had a soul ?

_+_______________

I read years ago that a surgeon had placed a sign on a high ledge in an operating room, the content of which was only known by himself and which could only be read from an elevated position above the operating table.

At the time of reading that story, no one had read the sign.

I will try and track it down online - edit = found some information on it.

It is part of a study called AWARE (AWAreness during REsuscitation). Founded by Sam Parnia, a critical care physician and director of resuscitation research at the Stony Brook University School of Medicine in New York.

Twenty-five participating hospitals across Europe and North America[10] examine reports of patients after their clinical death, several of whom are expected to have an out-of-body experience (OBE) with physical perceptions of their surroundings. A major objective of the AWARE study is to test whether the perceptions reported by these patients can be verified. One method involves a visual target being placed near the ceiling where it can only be seen by someone reading it from above; patients who report OBEs are then asked to describe it.

link

AWARE Study Update

At this time, they anticipate being able to release the preliminary results obtained during the first five years of the study in September or October 2013 to mark the fifth anniversary of the launch of the study. This will be done through the appropriate scientific channels such as publications in scientific journals and possibly by means of a lecture, symposium or conference at a suitable venue if there is sufficient public interest. This would allow the data and results to be discussed in further detail.

Horizon Research Foundation

September/October 2013 - preliminary results released -

edit on 14-8-2013 by UmbraSumus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
So this proves what exactly?
Nuffin.
Thought so!

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This subject was up for discussion on LBC(London) radio yesterday.
The funny thing was that every single person that phoned in had an out of body or NDE experience that was completely at odds with this so called science. Sort of made a mockery of this whole story.
And another interesting thing, not a single one of them found themselves in hell. Or in a situation of extreme terror.
Only a sense of calm.
edit on 14-8-2013 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

These electrical surges are due to a chemical known as dimethyltryptamine abbreviated as '___'. It is a chemical released in quantity when we are born, when we die and when we dream. It is thought to be the "gateway" to the subconscious. It is used in many south american tribes and other cultures as a method of inducing a spiritual enlightenment.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
Scientists are grasping straw-men trying to explain why people experience NDE's....and falsley think that consciousness arises becauses of brain matter.

The Brain is just a physical interface for consciousness to interact with.

Consciousness exists prior to matter, and does not depend on matter to exist. I clearly remember pre-existing prior to being born in a body and know that when this shell/vessel dies, I as conscious/awareness, will continue and go back to whee I came from.

It's going to take a few more decades before scientists finally step out of materialism and acknowledge that Consciousness exists devoid of material physicality......

Right now they are all thinking the world is flat, when it comes to NDE's. It time this will change, and a small handful of scientists are already putting forth the theory of nonlocal consciousness. Give it a few more decades

Hameroff out of U of Arizona and Penrose out or Cambridge are really close to or have shown consciousness after clinical death does occur. There findings so far have already convinced me.
edit on 14-8-2013 by JoeP2247 because: correct post

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by PersephonesRealm

These electrical surges are due to a chemical known as dimethyltryptamine abbreviated as '___'. It is a chemical released in quantity when we are born, when we die and when we dream. It is thought to be the "gateway" to the subconscious. It is used in many south american tribes and other cultures as a method of inducing a spiritual enlightenment.

the word THOUGHT being the key word here, because no one actually knows.
Its so strange that D.M.T can cause the same visions in so many people, so strange in fact that it might not even have anything to do with D.M.T at all. But its a convenient answer for the materialistic/provable world proponents in science.
edit on 14-8-2013 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

This is why i dislike such studies by the apparent Government owned self proclaimed 'experts'
I had two near death experiences as a young boy and these fake 'experts' are claiming these experiences are nothing more then an 'electrical surge in dying brain'?

So what i witnessed during my Near-death experiences is an 'electrical surge' really? so when i saw the whole world at one point and all the countries in a flash that never happened?
edit on 14-8-2013 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

So what i witnessed during my Near-death experiences is an 'electrical surge' really? so when i saw the whole world at one point and all the countries in a flash that never happened?

Everything you "see" involves electrical impulses.

Do you believe your dreams are real ?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Who Says "Near-death experiences are 'electrical surge in dying brain'"?

Nothing in the study or even the BBC article itself supports the headline's claim, nor does the article explain where the quote 'electrical surge in dying brain' came from.

Scouring the article, googling the phrase and reading the study abstract and the Washington Post's less sensationalized version supports the notion that the headline is a product of the author's making, rather than anything the researchers or even non-associated interviewees actually said. In fact, no one quoted in the article said anything even remotely resembling that.

Since we are left to guess who said "Near-death experiences are 'electrical surge in dying brain'", I'll guess "the BBC" and its penchant for fanciful reporting.

It would be refreshing for Rebecca Morelle, the author of this article, to report facts instead of fantasies when covering a subject of this significance, be faithful in attributing quotes to sources instead of making them up and falsely presenting them as facts, and for the BBC to insist on standards of journalism beyond those of failing middle-school students when reporting science news.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

These electrical surges are due to a chemical known as dimethyltryptamine abbreviated as '___'.

LOL. I love how there's an auto-filter blocking out three letters that relate to a chemical which is produced in the brain naturally. Never change ATS, your prudish antics bring me so much joy.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

As a person who died not once but twice in the ER I can say with certainty that what I experienced was not electrical impulses or any other self made / man made experience.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
So scientists now understand the process of death as well as the experience of death, by observing the electrical brain activity of a dying rodent? ....dial tone....

How insulting...an affront to creation itself. Blasphemous of life itself. An insult to everything that lives and dies.

Scientists have yet to discover what LIFE is, which is something we experience every day. Yet, scientists are going to tell us what death is? What consciousness is? What OBE's are (which I have had by the way)? having NO experience of it? come on. if Human beings are putting their trust in this level of scientific intelligence, we're in serious trouble.

Someone please tell me that they don't actually believe the findings in this article. Give me some hope that our scientists have not completely convinced humanity that they are nothing more than electrical impulses and random accidents in a lifeless, purposeless and dumb Universe.

They observe the meat of a dying rat, and are telling you what you're going to experience when you die. Convincing you that the life that is you, is contained within the electrical impulses in the meat in your skull. That the end of your brain, is the end of YOu. Because the computer analysis of a dying rat seems to indicate so.....

edit on 14-8-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

And there are also those who believe, among them very highly placed and noted psychiatric professors and psychologists, that are starting to give serious consideration to a building theory that '___', the natural neurochemical you mentioned could actually be not only a 'gateway' to the subconscious, but (as far out as it sounds) an actual gateway for the part of us most people call soul, or spirit (life-force, essence, light-body, etc).

Yes, an actual facilitator chemical for the transference of consciousness itself (consciousness as an astral body i assume).

I know how that sounds, i'm not sure i fully understand it, let alone believe it...but some pretty straight-laced and highly regarded professors seem to think there's something like that going on with '___'.

Reports from people that i've read online over the years seem to partly confirm this startling conclusion.

Apparently, it's more real than real, and nothing at all like a dream or hallucination...and there is always others waiting at the 'destination', pleased that the individual arrived.

Phrases i've read include "there were other people there, who were Human-like, but slightly different to Humans in appearance" and " When i arrived, there were a group of beings sitting around apparently relaxing, one of them called me by my name and said " Hey you...about time you arrived, we've been waiting for you" which sounds very much like NDE reports.

It's fascinating that mainstream science is getting involved with this.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Visitor2012
So scientists now understand the process of death as well as the experience of death, by observing the electrical brain activity of a dying rodent? ....dial tone....

How insulting...an affront to creation itself. Blasphemous of life itself. An insult to everything that lives and dies.

Hyperbole

So scientists now understand the process of death as well as the experience of death, by observing the electrical brain activity of a dying rodent?

No. I do not believe that such a claim was made. Just a few more tentative steps towards uncloaking life`s mysteries.

The rats nervous system is rather similar to that of a human - making them suitable study subjects.

posted by Visitor2012:

How insulting...an affront to creation itself. Blasphemous of life itself. An insult to everything that lives and dies

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Everything you "see" involves electrical impulses.

Do you believe your dreams are real ?

The difference between "dreams" and "visualizations" are, dreams are abstract and visualizations have continuity with purpose.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
When you die,there is an upsurge in electrical activity in the brain.
It is obvious that would happen when you look at how we are built.

It does not however explain such documented testimonies of those who leave the room and see what is happening in other rooms in a building,floors above-while clinically dead,only to recount those visions when brought back.

That,is still a major anomaly in the death sandwich IMO.

Could we replicate that with brain electrodes,expanding our consciousness through solid matter?
To see beyond walls and travel,astral projection style,to realms unknown?

Maybe in the future,if we don't blow up the world,or posion it,we could do that.
Technologically Enhanced Enlightenment.
That would be nicer than the technological prison we are getting built around us.
Oh Well.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

It is the scientific equivalence of the religious assumption that the subject connected with god. Little is known, as of yet, the implications effects of D.M.T but as you said people who have done dimethyltryptamine do, indeed, have experiences that are consistent with N.D.E.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join