It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cairo Military Crackdown on Reuters Livestream: 14/08/2013

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
For people who want to follow the action as it happens, Reuters is running the news feed from some Cairo TV station in Arabic.

Livestream:

www.livestation.com...
edit on 14-8-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

Thank you, I was just trying to find a live stream!

s&f

Now if I could just understand what they are saying lol
edit on 14-8-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

From what I've been reading from people at the various scenes is that Morsi supporters started this but aren't winning. So far 56 people have been killed on both sides. Many suggest that Morsi and Muslim Brotherhood supporters are trying to instigate a civil war. So sad for the innocents that will suffer for this and sad for the people of Egypt that reject religious rule.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The stakes in the Middle East are very high right now. I'm no fan of the Muslim Brotherhood, but they were elected in a reasonably fair election. The military really pulls the strings in Egypt. They supported Mubarak and supported Morsi until he took a direction they didn't like.

I really don't know what to make of the situation. I know from reading about student politics in Egypt that support for an Islamist approach in the country is only around 30 - 40%. The rest of the people are either secularists or soft status quo types.

I don't think Egyptians are ready for democracy. There is no real democratic infrastructure. The way student politics is run in the country is centrally controlled to a ridiculous extent.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

True democracy almost always starts with bloodshed and instability.

I think the people are more than ready, however, the military and most political parties there, are not.

It has already taken root, but will take time and blood to fully take hold.

IMO

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The American Republic started with meetings and congresses and then bloodshed.

Egypt had bloodshed, had an election and then had bloodshed again because they couldn't wait for the next election.

This shows the essentially fraudulent nature of the Arab Spring in Egypt. There were outside string pullers involved in getting rid of Mubarak. I'm sure that the same people, the Americans and their NATO allies, are behind the ouster of Morsi.

America/NATO will squash any sign of independent thinking in important Middle Eastern and African countries.

The Arab Spring to me is not about democracy. It has some parallels with the "occupy" movement in the States. That movement was simply demonstrations for a bigger take of the corporate swag, not for a change in the way business is done in the US. Similarly the Arab Spring was a chance for people to say "We're tired of being bullied. Now we are going to be the bullies."

The Egyptians are not interested in democracy. They don't have the patience for it. They don't practice it enough in their society, at any level.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Well, the Egyptian Government has been warning and warning again for days if not a couple weeks. They've been trying through every means available and possible to tell the Morsi supporters to disperse. Stop the public demonstrations. The Morsi supporters say 'over their dead bodies'. Well? Egypt will grant them their wish if that is how they feel about it. Good for them. This can't go on forever and the terrorists need to accept that Egypt is for Egyptians. Not for them.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Currently Egypt is being run by the military. They have appointed a spokesperson,

www.nytimes.com...

. . . Adli Mansour, a senior judge seldom seen since his appointment five weeks ago by Gen. Abdul-Fattah el-Sisi, the military commander.

Calling the group that currently is in control of Egypt a government is a stretch in my opinion.

Here are the 2012 Egyptian election results.

Morsi is the legal president of the country if democracy has any value. He was elected in a result that was very similar to that seen in many US elections. He got 51% of the votes cast, by the 33% of the electorate who bothered to vote.

en.wikipedia.org...

By the way, the Egyptian Air Force flies F-16s. That is not an irrelevant fact.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Egypt is currently run by the Military after almost 8 million Egyptian citizens protested as long as was necessary to show the need for the military to step up and handle things.

Fortunately, the Military was able to remove the terrorists from power and this has been a very educational moment about Democracy forced where people neither WANT it or have any USE for it. Voting turned Gaza into a Hamas stronghold where political opponents lose kneecaps or stumbled over the sides of rooftops. Funny how those things happen...? Democracy is what took Egypt from a strong man leader in Mubarak to the worse side of terrorist scum.

Libya is what the terrorists do to a nation when they gain control...and "Control" is a word used loosely. The Military may not be a super-solution? The problem they're facing is far worse though and comes from a time many hundreds of years ago.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Irrelevant post.

I should never post before coffee.

edit on 2013/8/14 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Double post.

Damned gremlins!

edit on 2013/8/14 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well, the Egyptian Government has been warning and warning again for days if not a couple weeks. They've been trying through every means available and possible to tell the Morsi supporters to disperse. Stop the public demonstrations. The Morsi supporters say 'over their dead bodies'. Well? Egypt will grant them their wish if that is how they feel about it. Good for them. This can't go on forever and the terrorists need to accept that Egypt is for Egyptians. Not for them.

I'm wondering if you would say the same thing if the US military did the same thing here, you know, calling ordinary citizens terrorists and throwing them in prison without just cause. Just sit down, shut up and stop protesting bad laws and unlawful detentions. And pay special attention to who has all the guns and tanks and F-16s.

Go home and cower under your bed while the IMPORTANT Americans with big guns make all your decisions for you.

Incidentally, the Egyptian "government" is the one that was elected, they didn't grab power from the elected government at the point of a gun.

Its an upside down world.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Egypt is currently run by the Military after almost 8 million Egyptian citizens protested as long as was necessary to show the need for the military to step up and handle things.

This is what happens when things are run by the military.

Fortunately, the Military was able to remove the terrorists from power and this has been a very educational moment about Democracy forced where people neither WANT it or have any USE for it. Voting turned Gaza into a Hamas stronghold where political opponents lose kneecaps or stumbled over the sides of rooftops. Funny how those things happen...? Democracy is what took Egypt from a strong man leader in Mubarak to the worse side of terrorist scum.

You are basically saying that Egyptians are terrorists.

Libya is what the terrorists do to a nation when they gain control...and "Control" is a word used loosely. The Military may not be a super-solution? The problem they're facing is far worse though and comes from a time many hundreds of years ago.

These people's problems come from "now" and they come from a place called Washington, D.C.

It's fine to be a headstrong population and have a dozen political parties. Italy is the same as Egypt, but with the difference that the Italians go through the democratic motions of using parliamentary procedure to kick governments out. The Americans and the their clients in the Egyptian military want a tame government. The last thing they are interested in is the will of the people and they don't give a flying fadoo about democracy or parliamentary procedure. They don't want civilization. They want a mask for the same old corruption that has ruled Egypt for centuries.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

If you want to pretend that the Muslim Brotherhood has anything in common with average American citizens protesting in the street like Occupy...then we really start on different planets of understanding to current events. You're starting from a position of moral equivalency which flat out doesn't exist and makes the comparison outright humorous, not relevant.

Now the "legally elected" Egyptian Government came about ITSELF by a coup against Mubarak. So...I don't know why people keep babbling this free election crap. Mubarak sure as heck didn't feel very free in it, I'm sure. It's free only to HALF the people involved .....a good % didn't mind Mubarak and didn't ASK for their leader to be violently removed and imprisoned in the first place. We aren't supposed to consider the first coup that started it all though, right?

This wasn't a coup as much as a COUNTER-Coup to return Egypt to the place it HAD been before unrest and violence in the street, seen elsewhere in the region, became common place there. Now maybe they'll have a chance...at least a CHANCE of getting out from under terrorist rule out of the "men" of the Muslim Brotherhood. It would be nice and Egypt did nothing to deserve the darkness those people bring with them.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

You are basically saying that Egyptians are terrorists.

I'm not "basically" saying anything. I'm saying it outright and in bold print The Muslim Brotherhood is a terrorist friendly and involved organization. Those Egyptians who chose to throw in with them? Well, yes. They are terrorists. I'm sorry if I had been at all vague about it before.. lol... You might say I feel downright passion in this one.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

This has NOTHING to do with the evil Muslim Brotherhood, it has to do with currency and who controls it. Always.

Sitting in his imposing presidential office in Cairo’s upscale Heliopolis district, Mr. Morsy expressed Egypt’s deep interest in joining the Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa (BRICS) combine and turning the grouping into E-BRICS. “I am hoping BRICS would one day become E-BRICS where E stands for Egypt. I hope E-BRICS would emerge when we start moving the economy.” He lauded the proposal for the establishment of a BRICS bank that would “support countries to achieve high growth rates and supplement the role of the IMF, World Bank and similar institutions.”
www.thehindu.com...

Every Arab Spring has been based on maintaining the US dominated petro dollar hegemony in countries that have seen exactly how corrupt the world economy has become under that dollar paradigm and has tried to escape its sharp claws.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Mubarak was ousted in a coup that was, without a doubt in anyone but a cretin's mind, instigated by "outside" interests. The so called "Arab Spring" provided convenient cover for this, as it did for the ouster of Gaddafi in Libya.

The single thread running through all the unrest of the Middle East at this time is America's need to assert hegemonic control over the agendas of Middle Eastern countries. It's all about the oil, the pipelines, the Suez Canal.

I don't endorse the Muslim Brotherhood. I think that Islamist policies are too socially conservative and inadequate to the demands of the modern world. But . . .a Muslim Brotherhood party was elected in Egypt.

People who want a civilized society will just have to learn to live with election results and work harder in the next election, the way the Italians do.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I checked out the LIVE stream and didn't see any violence going on...just a bunch of Egyptians rushing home after work to catch the season premiere of Duck Dynasty.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantasm

The smog in the background is tear gas.

But yeah, it looks like the demonstrators might be calling it a day, or at least a siesta.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

This has NOTHING to do with the evil Muslim Brotherhood, it has to do with currency and who controls it. Always.

Okay, your conspiracy approach insists it's about currency. What was Tunisia about? Libya? What is Syria about? Yemen? Eritrea? Djibouti? Bahrain? Oman? There is unrest all over that region and the same players are behind BOTH sides of it, almost without exception. The nations change ....the players don't. Why should they? WE see it as a region of smaller nations, all split up and competing like WE think it should be.

Muslim Brotherhood people? They see it a little simpler than that. To them and the other side? It's a MUCH simpler world than that. It's just a matter of numbers...

Some good by their thinking......Like the above...and some?

Well, lets just say that pointing to Western concepts as the core of the purpose in unrest and fighting over there is naive and simplistic to a dangerous level. It's how America and the West have been "working" for peace for 30 LONG years now, doing the same crap Kerry is going now...COUNTLESS times. All fail. All efforts. They have their own priorities and they aren't ours.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join