It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this hatred agaisnt the U.S., and when did it begin?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
99% of the American people are generous and of a loving nature - like 99% of people in much of the rest of the world. So I have been trying to figure out why the American government is hated so much. The hatred has gotten to the point where buildings filled with people have been blown up. And who knows what tomorrow may bring.

In my search for answers, I have come across some partial reasons:
1) In an Ohio town of 638 registered voters, 4,258 “of them”, voted for George Bush. In just one county in Ohio, there were 93,000 more votes than registered voters. Something is wrong here. For details, see www.democracynow.org.../11/10/1536254
2) For decades there has been a deliberate policy to fleece third world countries, impoverishing them. John Perkins spent most of his life as the chief economist an international consulting firm with close ties to U.S. intelligence and the World Bank. His conscience bothered him all these decades and he decided to reveal all the details in his book, “Confessions of an Economic Hit Man.” Perkins job was to convince underdeveloped countries to take out huge loans that in turn, led to contracts for U.S. multinational corporations. This essentially got all that money back into USA corporations, yet the country owed the USA the money as well. Later when these huge loans couldn’t be paid off, they were used to blackmail countries to give the USA what it wants. If Perkins was not successful in convincing leaders to take loans, Perkins said, next the ‘Jackels’ would be sent in to carry out assassinations. If that didn’t work in convincing the countries to take loans, then the Army would be sent in. For more details see his book and www.democracynow.org.../11/09/1526251
3) Why does Osama Bin laden hate American foreign policy? He spells it out as follows with his demands. Essential he is saying whoever oppresses Muslim countries will be attacked.
a. End all aid to Israel
b. Withdraw military forces from the Arabian Peninsula and all Muslim territory
c. End all involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq
d. End U.S. support for the oppression of Muslims in China, Russia, India and elsewhere
e. Restore Muslim control of the Islamic world's energy resources for the benefit of Muslims. A sixth point is to replace U.S.-backed regimes in the Muslim world with Islamic regimes, but that is really a demand on the Muslim population.
4) Robert Baer, a CIA operative in the Middle East, is another person whose conscience prompted him to write these books “See No Evil: The True Story of a Ground Soldier in the CIA's War on Terrorism” and “Sleeping With the Devil: How Washington Sold Our Soul for Saudi Crude” These explain the interworkings of terrorism - how and why it developed.
5) In the early 1980s about fifty media conglomerates dominated all media outlets, including television, radio, newspapers, magazines, music, publishing and film. Today just six corporations dominate the U.S. media and Americans are feed the news these six want them to see.
6) “When the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again.” Edith Hamilton, Historian

In spirit, 99% of Americans would not agree to any of the above, so why does 1% our population get away with this? This is not how a democracy is “supposed” to function. This is not ‘Of the people, by the people and for the people.” It seems more like, “Of the corporations, by the corporations and for the corporations.”

Anyone have any further thoughts on this? How do we get America back on track before we are nuked out of existence?

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The colonists "conquest" of Native Americans was primarily a biological one and not military and not intentional. Dozens of deadly communicable diseases derived directly from crowded European cities spread quickly among Native Americans, who had no immunity to them. Smallpox was one of the deadliest. Estimates are there were 2 to 18 million Native Americans in what is now the United States, not 20+ million, and most of these Native Americans were killed by European diseases, not by guns. If you want to check this, read some books on American History or do an online search. To be sure there were many battles resulting in deaths on both sides, but this was small in comparison to the deaths caused by spread of disease. Prior to the arrival of the Europeans, there was essential no communicable diseases among Native Americans, and hence little resistance.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azeari of the Radiant Eye
*snip*

On the other side of the coin, we've made many serious errors over the years on the foreign policy front.

Yeah, a few. I'll do my best to scour my brain to list a few. Plan columbia, nafta, WTO, iraq (both wars), giving funding to terrorist such as al queda, still giving funding to CIA listed terrorist, supporting rogue nations such as iraq, pulling out of kyoto, pulling out of the land mine ban treaty, exporting pestisides to poor countries, pulling off a coop in democratic countries such as venzuela and panama and then putting in our own dictator such as Penoche who slaughters thousands of people, testing nukes in native american's back yards, dumping toxic waste on reservations, using up 75% of the worlds resources, defecting in our treaties with north korea, the internment of japanese americans, AND always taking isreal's side. Most of these have mulitple sub categories, but i won't go into those.

I think most of these i mention happened in the last half century, let alone the genocide of enslavement.

I suppose one possible reason why no one seems to help us in times of need is that we're perceived as not needing help; and, truth is, we probably don't. I have no facts to back this up, but would imagine that we already have the best emergency services in the world, with the best gear and the best training and plenty of funding.

Actually i think we are around number 17 or so. I know that in california we where too cheap to pass a prop that would cost each californian at most six dollars per year to keep emergency rooms open, and it was voted down. My mom is an emergency room nurse, so this is something i keep close tabs on. I beleive cuba is way above us in healt care service. I know that in california that one trama center is being closed down every other month, and this is epidemic accross the united states. It is also not due to trials who's cost are less than 1 percent.

As for haterd of Americans: depends on your definition of hatred. I've spent the last 21 years living outside the US, and have come across a fair number of people who "hate" us, but (so far, luckily!) it's been a pretty mild form of "hatred", usually involving dislike for the degree of influence we have on the rest of the world (Rome being "ruined" by McDonalds, American phrases "polluting" the French language, etc).

Some hate us because we have more "stuff" than them.

The ones we have to worry about, though, are the ones who've been taught - very thoroughly and from a very early age - to really hate us. And who really do believe that if they die killing some of us they'll to straight to heaven and be met by 70 virgins. (And incredibly stupid concept, I know, but there's no shortage of stupidity in the world.) On a more practical level, the martyr knows his family will be well provided for after he blows himself to smithereens.

Actually, very few beleive that, but they do have some serous grevences when they see thier family members blown away in an illegal war. When GB the first asked them to rise up against saddam in the first place, we didn't help them. They felt betrayed, and now when we have killed 100,000 of them in this war as well as millions of iraqis in sanctions, you think they are the crazy ones.

Is it crazy to fight against those you view to be your oppressors, especially when they don't give you a reason to believe the opposite.

I hate it when people say they hate it when people say the US is at fault. Usually when people fault the united states, it is because it is the united state's fault. To denigh the mistakes or intentional transgressions against humanity by the united states is to not take responcibility for you actions. Why would you not want to take responcibility? All you conservatives who don't look at the negative, take some responcibility. Or are you affraid of public scrutiny?

Take responcibility for your actions.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrsdls
July 4, 1776 is when the world begin to hate America. Ever since we have been a nation, the world has not had us on their favorites list. The only time we are liked is when we can do something for them.

edit: typo's

[edit on 11/11/04 by jrsdls]

Where is the budget for doing stuff for other people?

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azeari of the Radiant Eye
It's certainly not fragility.

Some of it is a certain innocence about the world outside the US, although 9/11 has changed that somewhat.

Those of us who have travelled extensively can understand it better than others.

As for empires and degenerate apes: well, you're of course entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that no one has any legitmate reason to hate American people. The vast majority of us are just normal, ordinary folk trying to live our lives, love our families, etc - just like most people in other countries.

We are not our government. (There's an old saying that people get the government they deserve...but it's hard to see how that could work in practice, when - generally speaking - decent people don't go into politics...)

None the less, it seems as if we reelected the ape.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by vibetic
If world hates(!) America, show me some polls ? research papers ? something ? anything at all ? to back it up.

I live in 'the world' and I don't know anyone who hates america. Yes some dislike some american policies but they often have good reasons (even half of the americans dislike some american policies). Probably 1% or less of the world population hates americans or america as a whole.

US doesn't get help because people perceive it doesn't need help, and if someone would send aid package to US then some american politicians would flame the sender to hell and call it a political maneuver trying to humiliate US.

Rove wants america to believe world hates american so that america unites behind the current government... Jane Fonda wants America to believe world hates Americans so that she'd get things her way.... I quess God hates america too www.godhatesamerica.com...

I'll find you a few stats
June 16, 2004

A poll of Iraqis commissioned by the U.S.-governing authority has provided the Bush administration a stark picture of anti-American sentiment more than half of Iraqis believe they would be safer if U.S. troops simply left.

www.the-hamster.com...

Poll shows U.S. isolation: In war's wake, hostility and mistrust
Meg Bortin/IHT
International Herald Tribune
Tuesday, June 3, 2003

"As could be expected, this feeling is strongest in the Muslim world, where negative attitudes toward the United States have soared since the war on Iraq began March 20 with a wave of American air attacks over Baghdad.

One of the most extreme shifts was seen in Turkey, where the government, heeding popular sentiment, decided not to allow United States to use its soil as a base for attacks on Iraq although Washington and Ankara are partners in NATO.

The poll found that 83 percent of Turks now have an unfavorable opinion of the United States, up from 55 percent last summer.

The swing was even sharper in Indonesia, where Islamic radicalism has been rising since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in New York and Washington.

While 75 percent had a favorable opinion of the United States in 2000, 83 percent now have an unfavorable view. Similar levels of animosity hold sway in the Palestinian Authority and Jordan.

In fact, feelings are so intense in the Islamic world that Osama bin Laden was chosen by five Muslim publics - in Indonesia, Jordan, Morocco, Pakistan and the Palestinian Authority - as one of the three political leaders they would most trust to "do the right thing" in world affairs."

www.informationclearinghouse.info...

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
It's simple. Leftists hate America. The farther left you go, the more intense the hatred becomes.

Where do you get this idea from?

[Hence why a lot of Europe hates us - a lot of Europe *cough FRANCE cough* is going farther and farther left.

Of course, there is also the extreme right that hates America (in the form of Islamic terrorists) but that is more based on religion then politics.

As far as I am concerned, screw those who dislike us or our government. The fact is we AS A COUNTRY - AND THAT INCLUDES OUR GOVERNMENT - do more good then harm. In the ME we are cleaning up a haven for destructive beliefs that has existed for many times the years that the US has. Maybe if ANY OTHER COUNTRY GOT OFF THEIR WORTHLESS ASSES IN THE LAST, OH, 1000 YEARS OR SO WE WOULDN"T HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT.

So if we where in poverty because our cities where ransacked a hundred years ago by people from africa in order tom enslave us, then we would be worthless?

But what else is new? France and Europe in general can't stand us - no matter what we do. And in 100 years when the whole world is better off for it they will be in our debt, just like now.

Actually we are in france's debt. if not for them we would ne be our own country. And when we desided to grab canada from then in the war of 1812 and they burn washington DC, but desided we could remain our own country, we should still be greatful. If not for them being nice to us, we would either be eating crumpets and tea or speaking french.

I am bloody sick of hearing about how everyone hates our government - if anyone else would deal with all the problems in the world we would not have to. All those leftists hating America throughout the cold war seem to forget it was America working to protect every free nation in the world against communism.

g.myspace.com...

where is the love for other countries in this map?

Everyone seems to forget that in Vietnam, all we were doing was PROTECTING OUR ALLY! Isn't that what you are supposed to do? How is that different then the Korean War or WWII? IT'S NOT!

So unless I see any other country take on the worlds problems at the scope the US has, I will give a collective # YOU to any nation or people that DARE criticise the US.

really? whjo asked us to take on the world's problems? Who said they where problems in the first place? i know the Iraqis didn't ask us.

Shame on you for not critiziing the US. What the hell do you think the founding father wrote the first ammendment for? What do you think that jefferson wrote that it is ok to over throw our own government. If you had lived in 1776, you probably would have fought on the side of england.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Ask the PHARAON

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by chapo
Ask the PHARAON

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know who is...

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Where is the button to give you a thousand points. Damn, i don't think i'm a moderator yet.
That was good. it brought a tear to my eye. I love the we're not children here quote. I need to use that more.

Originally posted by Voice_of Doom

Originally posted by Muaddib
I am so tired of hearing people blame the U.S for everything that is happening in the world...

quote]

And Ive grown quite tired if these b*lls**t statements as well.
We're not children here, so let's not be naive about the US and its foreign policy since the begining.

Uh oh, looks like class is in session, let's start:

The US began its existence by exterminating 90% of the population living on it's land. Thats 90% Muaddib. The SINGLE greatest instance of genocide in the history of the world...ever! Far larger in scope than what the NAzi's accomplished. They then "relocated" the rest of the natives to some of the worst land in the country...a popluation that might never recover, muadibb! Or to quote Chris Rock, "when's the last time you saw two indians in a room together!". Think about it...really...think about it.
Then we proceeded to indulge in 400 years of a slave-labor economy. Thats 400 years, my friend! Think about that too.
Women in this country didn't get the right to vote until 80 years ago. S**t, we didn't even legalize civil rights until the 1960's! Thats 40 years ago!

Since then we've invaded Mexico, tried Canada..twice. Engaged in terrorist acts in Nicaragua (for which we were found guilty in the world court), Honduras, El Salvador, Chile, Argentina, Panama, Haiti, Cuba and the Phililpines. We have supported a dictator in East Timor that massacred 300,000 people in the 1970's. He got his money and weapons from the US as we blocked UN efforts to halt the killings. 300,000 people Muadibb..ever heard of it? Probably not if you live in the US..nice and insulated.
We support the Saud family that violently suppresses its population so our companies can get good oil prices.
We give 10 BILLION dollars a year to Isreal, whose actions, are almost universally condemd by the world community.
We support dictators in Africa.
We helped overthrow the Shah of Iran.
We setup Saddam and armed him with WMD to use against the Iranians and his own people and then turned our backs on the resistance that tried to overthrow him after the first Gulf War.
There was also that little thing we did to the Vietnamese for 13 years. I think 3 MILLION people were killed...and for what? Our prestige? So they couldn't have the form their government of choice?

How about Columbia, Muadibb? Know anything about that? Know that outside of Isreal they receive that largest amount of money from the US? Did you know that?
Did you know that from 1997 to 2003, when they were getting the largest amount they were one of the worst violaters of human rights in the world? Did you know that? Didn't hear it on FOX news eh? Weird. Do you know why they get so much money? Do you know its to support a brutal dictatorship that makes sure its resources and cheap labor stays available to American companies? Did you know that?
Do you know what the world thinks of our financial support of Turkey...do you know what the Italians think of the way our CIA made sure that no social parties took hold in the government after the second world war?
Do you know what the world thinks about our "invasion" of Iraq? Do you think they might think that its only in the best service of American Corporations...and that only lip-service is paid to democracy? Strange...I wonder why they would think that? Do you think its because we overthrough the "democratically" elected president of Chile in 73? Do you think its because turned our back on Castro in the 50's, when he was leading movement OF THE PEOPLE! You know that thing we're ALL ABOUT!

Did you know that not everybody see America as the "shining light" of the world? Did you know that some places even think that America's actions are hypocritical? OH MY GOSH!!! NO!!! But we're so good!!! It can't be!!
Don' they know Jesus loves us? God Blesses US??!!!

Did you know that you can learn these things and many more by picking up a ****ing book, muadibb? Do you think its time for, "the sleeper to awaked?"

Can we drop the third grade rhetoric and really talk about how things are in the real world now? Is it adult time yet?

Give me a ****ing break!

There is no enemy anywhere - Lao Tse

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Originally posted by AceOfBase

They were talking about war mongering Americans because of the war in Vietnam at the time of this article.

They're talking about war-mongering Americans now because of the Iraq war.

They'll be talking about war-mongering Americans 10 years from now as the next US led war is taking place.

The US has done much good throughout the years but that is overshadowed by the wars that America fights and the nations that they intervene in overtly or covertly.

This hate is directed at 'America' the government, not 'Americans' the people, as some have already pointed out.

I see...so the U.S. is the only one who has waged wars in the world?.... i guess France has nothing to do right now with what is happening in the Ivory Coast...or what happened in the 90s with Rwanda.... or even before that during their colonizing days....

Many countries have done even worse things that overshadow anything that the U.S. has done.... yet there is no voice raised against what other countries have been doing.

BTW, if you actually read the broadcast i quoted in the original post you will see that the hatred was not only because of Vietnam, even before that and after, there was hatred against the U.S....

You are right, thier are bad things that other countries do. So why don't you raise you voice in protest against the bad things we do here? You want us to be just a little better then a few countries on the bottom of the barrel?

Of course you did not mention a single occurance when a country did something worse than us.

But then we have only been here for a little over 200 years. Damn if we haven't caught up and surpassed other worlds atrocities.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
I will give a collective # YOU to any nation or people that DARE criticise the US.

Sounds like hegemony to me. That's the thing - we're not even allowed to criticize the U.S. anymore. If we're not throwing flowers or saying that the U.S. is the best country in the world, we're automatically America-haters.

There is no nuance in anything anymore. It used to be that we could at least say "Well, we like your intentions, but we don't agree with the way you're carrying them out". Now it's "If you like the U.S., shut up and support everything we do."

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by abbadaba
The colonists "conquest" of Native Americans was primarily a biological one and not military and not intentional. Dozens of deadly communicable diseases derived directly from crowded European cities spread quickly among Native Americans, who had no immunity to them. Smallpox was one of the deadliest. Estimates are there were 2 to 18 million Native Americans in what is now the United States, not 20+ million, and most of these Native Americans were killed by European diseases, not by guns. If you want to check this, read some books on American History or do an online search. To be sure there were many battles resulting in deaths on both sides, but this was small in comparison to the deaths caused by spread of disease. Prior to the arrival of the Europeans, there was essential no communicable diseases among Native Americans, and hence little resistance.

Primitive biological warfare. The diseases you talk about where intentionally done. The reason we know it is because phamplets circulated and letters that the best way to get rid of native americans was to give them a gift of a blanket. This blanket was usually previously used on live stock and white sick people, and thus the entire tribe would die out from disease.

Actually thier where diseases among natives, it was just that europeans had live stock and that is where most of thier diseases came from.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
No one hates american people but alot hate the government including half of america it self. Everyone claims that US is the best for solving the world problems . little did u see that the world wants to solve its problem by itself

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rami_Arna
No one hates american people but alot hate the government including half of america it self.

This survey of the European views on the US largely supports that assessment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join