It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this hatred agaisnt the U.S., and when did it begin?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I am so tired of hearing people blame the U.S for everything that is happening in the world...and i am so tired that people keep posting erroneously that "all this hatred against the U.S. just began to happen now that we, together with the coalition, went to war in Iraq and Afghanistan" that i think the following should be available to all, so people can see that the hatred against the U.S. is old, and has existed for over 100 years.

And what better way to show this but by the account of a Canadian.

The following excerpt is from 1973, it was broadcasted through the radio in Canada back then, the audio is also available at the link I will provide at the bottom of the quote.

I know it is a bit long, but this needs to be shown to the Americans and the whole world who keep saying that the hatred towards North America is something new...

I am almost sure that a lot of people will either ignore this or forget about it 10 minutes later, and continue with their attacks towards the U.S., i just hope that at least a few of these people will see the truth, and realize that the U.S. has been hated enough for too long....if this has not been a propaganda against North America that has been around for at least a century, I don't know what is....

"LET'S BE PERSONAL" Broadcast June 5, 1973 CFRB, Toronto, Ontario

Topic: "The Americans"

The United States dollar took another pounding on German, French and British exchanges this morning, hitting the lowest point ever known in West Germany. It has declined there by 41% since 1971 and this Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least-appreciated people in all the world.

As long as sixty years ago, when I first started to read newspapers, I read of floods on the Yellow River and the Yangtse. Well, Who rushed in with men and money to help? The Americans did, that's who.

They have helped control floods on the Nile, the Amazon, the Ganges and the Niger. Today, the rich bottom land of the Mississippi is under water and no foreign land has sent a dollar to help. Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy, were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of those countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When the franc was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. And I was there. I saw that.

When distant cities are hit by earthquakes, it is the United States that hurries into help... Managua Nicaragua is one of the most recent examples. So far this spring, 59 American communities have been flattened by tornadoes. Nobody has helped.

The Marshall Plan... the Truman Policy... all pumped billions upon billions of dollars into discouraged countries. And now, newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent war-mongering Americans.

I'd like to see one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplanes.

Come on... let's hear it! Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tristar or the Douglas 10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all international lines except Russia fly American planes? Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or a women on the moon?

You talk about Japanese technocracy and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy and you find men on the moon, not once, but several times ... and safely home again. You talk about scandals and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at. Even the draft dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are right here on our streets in Toronto, most of them... unless they are breaking Canadian laws... are getting American dollars from Ma and Pa at home to spend here.

When the Americans get out of this bind... as they will... who could blame them if they said 'the hell with the rest of the world'. Let someone else buy the bonds, let someone else build or repair foreign dams or design foreign buildings that won't shake apart in earthquakes.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both of them are still broke. I can name to you 5,000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble.

Can you name to me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbours have faced it alone and I am one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their noses at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles.

I hope Canada is not one of these. But there are many smug, self-righteous Canadians. And finally, the American Red Cross was told at its 48th Annual meeting in New Orleans this morning that it was broke.

This year's disasters... with the year less than half-over... has taken it all and nobody... but nobody... has helped.

ORIGINAL SCRIPT AND AUDIO
COURTESY STANDARD BROADCASTING CORPORATION LTD.

(c) 1973 BY GORDON SINCLAIR

PUBLISHED BY STAR QUALITY MUSIC (SOCAN)

A DIVISION OF UNIDISC MUSIC INC.

578 HYMUS BOULEVARD

POINTE-CLAIRE, QUEBEC,

CANADA, H9R 4T2

Excerpted from.
www.rcc.ryerson.ca...

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I've seen that before, and it makes some good points. Of course, we shouldn't be so smug as to conclude that the US is the only country that helps those in need, but no one can argue the basic point.

On the other side of the coin, we've made many serious errors over the years on the foreign policy front.

I suppose one possible reason why no one seems to help us in times of need is that we're perceived as not needing help; and, truth is, we probably don't. I have no facts to back this up, but would imagine that we already have the best emergency services in the world, with the best gear and the best training and plenty of funding.

As for haterd of Americans: depends on your definition of hatred. I've spent the last 21 years living outside the US, and have come across a fair number of people who "hate" us, but (so far, luckily!) it's been a pretty mild form of "hatred", usually involving dislike for the degree of influence we have on the rest of the world (Rome being "ruined" by McDonalds, American phrases "polluting" the French language, etc).

Some hate us because we have more "stuff" than them.

The ones we have to worry about, though, are the ones who've been taught - very thoroughly and from a very early age - to really hate us. And who really do believe that if they die killing some of us they'll to straight to heaven and be met by 70 virgins. (And incredibly stupid concept, I know, but there's no shortage of stupidity in the world.) On a more practical level, the martyr knows his family will be well provided for after he blows himself to smithereens.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
July 4, 1776 is when the world begin to hate America. Ever since we have been a nation, the world has not had us on their favorites list. The only time we are liked is when we can do something for them.

edit: typo's

[edit on 11/11/04 by jrsdls]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   
its more or so what the government has done time and time again throughout history. use google or search ATS, you'll find plenty of facts and reasons that back up such hate... i dont hate them, its just become pretty sad... dfh out.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
those are some really good points you make maudib. take it from peter parkers uncle, with great power comes great responsibility. if there is a dirt poor nation dying from disasters with no means of helping themselves. if we are the cause or contributer to their economic turmoil then its only natural that we help, if we are the ones who horde the great majority of riches on earth. we have the means to destroy a country and rebuild it. soon it will be china who has the majority of the resposiblitiy since our economy is looking grim. we had a very good run on top if i do say so myself, but too many a nation are intent of stipping us from our crown for some past mistakes and misfortunes we are currently persuing i can not blame them for all the helping we have done we have probably droped twice as much worth of bombs and dispare. imo

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I am surprised to see how fragile Americans are

"why does the world hate us", "it's because we have more than them", blah blah balh

here's an idea; perhaps it's because your the world's most powerful empire, and in general, people don't like empires, or indeed imperialism in general

or perhaps it's the fact that an empire led by a degenerate ape has the arrogance/stupidity to enforce it's type of rule upon the world

just my thoughts though

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
It's certainly not fragility.

Some of it is a certain innocence about the world outside the US, although 9/11 has changed that somewhat.

Those of us who have travelled extensively can understand it better than others.

As for empires and degenerate apes: well, you're of course entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that no one has any legitmate reason to hate American people. The vast majority of us are just normal, ordinary folk trying to live our lives, love our families, etc - just like most people in other countries.

We are not our government. (There's an old saying that people get the government they deserve...but it's hard to see how that could work in practice, when - generally speaking - decent people don't go into politics...)

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
If world hates(!) America, show me some polls ? research papers ? something ? anything at all ? to back it up.

I live in 'the world' and I don't know anyone who hates america. Yes some dislike some american policies but they often have good reasons (even half of the americans dislike some american policies). Probably 1% or less of the world population hates americans or america as a whole.

US doesn't get help because people perceive it doesn't need help, and if someone would send aid package to US then some american politicians would flame the sender to hell and call it a political maneuver trying to humiliate US.

Rove wants america to believe world hates american so that america unites behind the current government... Jane Fonda wants America to believe world hates Americans so that she'd get things her way.... I quess God hates america too www.godhatesamerica.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Well said, vibetic.

Most of the people I know these days are non-Americans, and they all seem to like me, like most individual Americans they've met, and also like many aspects of American culture: music, movies, TV, fashion, technology, etc. But every single one of them is suspicious of American foreign policy...and who could blame them?

Of course, I've never travelled in the parts of the world where true anti-American hatred lives. Even in those places, from what I've heard, most people welcome American visitors with open arms. It's that tiny percentage of fanatics you have to watch out for...

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azeari of the Radiant Eye
It's certainly not fragility.

Some of it is a certain innocence about the world outside the US, although 9/11 has changed that somewhat.

Those of us who have travelled extensively can understand it better than others.

As for empires and degenerate apes: well, you're of course entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that no one has any legitmate reason to hate American people. The vast majority of us are just normal, ordinary folk trying to live our lives, love our families, etc - just like most people in other countries.

We are not our government. (There's an old saying that people get the government they deserve...but it's hard to see how that could work in practice, when - generally speaking - decent people don't go into politics...)

Are you saying that the US government is non-representative?

If so than why do Americans use the words freedom, liberty and democracy as a call to arms?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
It sounds as though Americans are not only ignorant of the world, but also of their own nation.

Is this so?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
No, I'm saying that you shouldn't tar us all with the same brush.

We have freedom and liberty, and we live in a democracy...trouble is, it's hard to find genuine good people at the top of the political heap. Leaving us, unfortunatelly, with not much to choose from on election day.

As for your first question: I wouldn't call it ignorance, I'd call it apathy. Obviously, if we all banded together and insisted on positive political changes then we could achieve something. But, again, most people are just busy getting on with their lives.

Things is, the "average American" is a nice person and someone you'd probably enjoy knowing.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   

The Marshall Plan... the Truman Policy... all pumped billions upon billions of dollars into discouraged countries. And now, newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent war-mongering Americans.

They were talking about war mongering Americans because of the war in Vietnam at the time of this article.

They're talking about war-mongering Americans now because of the Iraq war.

They'll be talking about war-mongering Americans 10 years from now as the next US led war is taking place.

The US has done much good throughout the years but that is overshadowed by the wars that America fights and the nations that they intervene in overtly or covertly.

This hate is directed at 'America' the government, not 'Americans' the people, as some have already pointed out.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The way people feel about the US is not set in stone. Just because before the 2004 elections people hated "your president, but not the American people", does not mean that people will feel that way no matter the circumstances. People shape their views on a people and a nation based on the actions they witness. When people see a nation launch an imperialistic grab for loot, than that's going to affect their views on the American Empire. Now that the good people of the world have seen that 51% of the American people support such actions, then that will obviously affect their opinions, both on the American admin. and the American people. Is this not clear to Americans? Or is this too abstract a notion for Americans to understand?

As for the arguement "we gave freedom to the world, so shut up and do as we say".
Enough said really.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Nobody hates you. I think that's just a misunderstanding(At least regarding Europe). Some/Many/Lot's of people do not agree with your foreign policies and criticize your president.
Criticism in that form is pretty common and normal in Europe. If you think we hate you, you should see what we write about our own politicians :p
And your national pride is often interpreted as.. ignorance by europeans because it is a lot different to the one you find in most areas here.

If the world hated you, it would not drink Coca Cola, eat at Burger King or go to Disneyland.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
It began wayyyyy back in the time of the Monroa Doctrine and the coiing of the term "divine mandate." Basically, America took it upon itself to divide and conquer our entire just of land, cost to coast, and then, the MOnroa Doctrine basically claims this half of the WORLD for the US.

Forget outsourcing, it started with Monroe.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
You make some good points, Volkgeister.

It is, however, important to analyze that "51%" figure; I know quite a few people who voted for Bush, and not one of them did so because they like him, trust him, or believe in his policies. They simply felt the alternative was worse, and I agree with that assessment. (This is, by the way, the exact same thing that happened 4 years ago: Bush was considered marginally better than Gore...)

Our only hope is to make damn well sure we have some better choices in '08!

A similar thing is happening in the UK (where I'm living), except, peversely, in reverse (the Left is in and the Right is out...except that the current Left has strong tendencies to the Right and kow tows to Bush). Also, the Conservative contender seems like a decent sort, but probably lacks the required charisma to actually win an election.

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Azeari of the Radiant Eye]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azeari of the Radiant Eye
You make some good points, Volkgeister.

It is, however, important to analyze that "51%" figure; I know quite a few people who voted for Bush, and not one of them did so because they like him, trust him, or believe in his policies. They simply felt the alternative was worse, and I agree with that assessment. (This is, by the way, the exact same thing that happened 4 years ago: Bush was considered marginally better than Gore...)

Our only hope is to make damn well sure we have some better choices in '08!

A similar thing is happening in the UK (where I'm living), except, peversely, in reverse (the Left is in and the Right is out...except that the current Left has strong tendencies to the Right and kow tows to Bush). Also, the Conservative contender seems like a decent sort, but probably lacks the required charisma to actually win an election.

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Azeari of the Radiant Eye]

There seems to be a trend in the "Anglo sphere", parties on the left are moving to the right of politics, and parties on the right are moving further to the right.

Regarding your first point; do you believe a better alternative will arrive by 2008?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scat
It began wayyyyy back in the time of the Monroa Doctrine and the coiing of the term "divine mandate." Basically, America took it upon itself to divide and conquer our entire just of land, cost to coast, and then, the MOnroa Doctrine basically claims this half of the WORLD for the US.

Forget outsourcing, it started with Monroe.

The Monroe doctrine now applies to the entire world.

"International community"= nations that bow to US hegemony
"Axis of Evil" + "rogue states"= nations outside US hegemony

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
To be honest: no, I don't. But I sincerely hope so.

Perhaps the choice doesn't have to be hugely better...sort of like the only way to go is up?

I take your point about the right moving farther right, but it doesn't seem to completely fit here in the UK. The Conservatives are big on defense, of course, but are coming out with left-leaning social policies, are even considering tax increases, and - most importantly - completely ignore Republican-style moral posturing. (The bible-thumpers don't run things here...which is a blessing, if you'll forgive the pun...)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join