It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former vet tech faces jail-time and a fine for harboring rescued 'wild' animals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Carol Deyo, a former veterinary technician - cares for rescued 'wild' animals on her farm in Ohio. Along with your average barnyard horses and pigs, you'll find two adult deer and four racoons.

Former vet tech faces fine, jail for saving raccoons, deer

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources charged Deyo in January with two counts of possessing wild animals — a count for the two deer and another count for the raccoons. It’s a fourth-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a $250 fine on each count.

But here's what gets me, and I couldn't agree more with her sentiment:

“I’ll go to jail,” Deyo said. “I’ll pay the fines. Just don’t destroy these animals.”

But if she’s convicted, that’s the likely outcome. The deer aren’t able to live on their own in the wild; all they’ve known is human care.

Brought on by an anonymous complaint; (some whiny scumbag)
The Division of Wildlife appeared at Deyo’s door in November.

“The law is crystal clear, and this is a clear violation. Period,” said Mount Vernon Law Director Chip McConville, who is prosecuting the case. “If we start letting people take animals out of the wild, it would set a terrible precedent.”
Link

It pisses me off when people can't mind their own business, and always need something to complain about. Now, these innocent animals are the ones who have to pay the price. If this women is forced to forfeit them and do jailtime, I hope an agreement can be made to guarantee their future. - and I hope the 'anonymous' complainant gets hit by a bus.

I wish Carol Deyo and her pets, all the Best.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Why hasn't some one pointed out the fact that these "wild animals" are not, in fact, '"wild" at all? They've only known human companionship...therefore they're 'tame,' and not 'wild.'

What a bunch of scum. My heart breaks more and more every day. I'm amazed I've got anything left.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491
Carol Deyo, a former veterinary technician - cares for rescued 'wild' animals on her farm in Ohio. Along with your average barnyard horses and pigs, you'll find two adult deer and four racoons.

Former vet tech faces fine, jail for saving raccoons, deer

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources charged Deyo in January with two counts of possessing wild animals — a count for the two deer and another count for the raccoons. It’s a fourth-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a $250 fine on each count.

But here's what gets me, and I couldn't agree more with her sentiment:

“I’ll go to jail,” Deyo said. “I’ll pay the fines. Just don’t destroy these animals.”

But if she’s convicted, that’s the likely outcome. The deer aren’t able to live on their own in the wild; all they’ve known is human care.

Brought on by an anonymous complaint; (some whiny scumbag)
The Division of Wildlife appeared at Deyo’s door in November.

“The law is crystal clear, and this is a clear violation. Period,” said Mount Vernon Law Director Chip McConville, who is prosecuting the case. “If we start letting people take animals out of the wild, it would set a terrible precedent.”
Link

It pisses me off when people can't mind their own business, and always need something to complain about. Now, these innocent animals are the ones who have to pay the price. If this women is forced to forfeit them and do jailtime, I hope an agreement can be made to guarantee their future. - and I hope the 'anonymous' complainant gets hit by a bus.

I wish Carol Deyo and her pets, all the Best.

The good thing is that I highly doubt that the animals will be destroyed. There are wildlife rehabilitation centers all over that are made for things of this, err general nature (except they weren't usually kept by someone as a pet). They won't be destroyed, especially with the media exposure all over this story, this almost guarantees that they won't be, thankfully.

As for the woman, I don't really think that a sane person would live in their house with a 300 pound deer and a band of racoons that are destined to be in the wild.. So, in my opinion that's a bit err, nutty, unless this woman rescued them at birth and was helping them rehabilitate and so on.. No sane person would live with an undomesticated 300 pound deer and pack of racoons unless it is due to those circumstances, point blank.

However, I agree in that they shouldn't actually put the woman in jail, that's ridiculous, the most that they should have done was confiscated the animals and taken them to a rehabilitation center. UNLESS she was endangering them and their way of life/living conditions in some way.

People are indeed nosy little weasels that stick their little dampened noses into the business of anyone and everyone. Unless this person thought that the animals were in harms way, I do believe such a nasty little weasel like this should be smacked around a few times for being such a lifeless, bored animal police nark.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

Been there, done that ! 36 Counts. $400,000 upto 60 yrs. Needless to say, I'm home but will never forget, never forgive. Represent yourself, that would be my advice to the vet.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hushabye
Why hasn't some one pointed out the fact that these "wild animals" are not, in fact, '"wild" at all? They've only known human companionship...therefore they're 'tame,' and not 'wild.'

What a bunch of scum. My heart breaks more and more every day. I'm amazed I've got anything left.

I disagree with you on this, that they are not wild animals, and domesticated just because of their being nurtured by a human and having such companionship. Studies have shown time and time again that it takes generations of 'domesticated' breeding of an animal before they will become domesticated and truly not belong in the wild, their home lands..

One popular example is of two women who experimented in raising wolves. They began raising the wolves not too long after birth, and it only took about a year until they saw signs that they truly didn't belong fenced in, domesticated, and treated like pets.. They began to raise hell, to put it quite simple.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIceQueen

Originally posted by TheIceQueen

As for the woman, I don't really think that a sane person would live in their house with a 300 pound deer and a band of racoons that are destined to be in the wild.. So, in my opinion that's a bit err, nutty, unless this woman rescued them at birth and was helping them rehabilitate and so on.. No sane person would live with an undomesticated 300 pound deer and pack of racoons unless it is due to those circumstances, point blank.

The deer live on a farm, with larger animals, such as horses.

Here's some back-story on how she obtained them, and the racoons.

In case you missed it...

Deyo’s collection began with a raccoon, found by a neighbor, barely days old beside its dead mother. Deyo bottle-fed it to health. Another followed shortly thereafter.

The first deer came in April 2011. Deyo’s boyfriend was cutting hay, and a doe leapt out of the mower’s path. Deyo later found a fawn, just a couple of days old, where the doe had flushed. The mower had sliced off the fawn’s right hind leg and splayed open its stomach.

“Our first inclination was to put him down,” Deyo said. “But we couldn’t pull the trigger. He had a will to live. You could see it. He was licking our hands, sucking our fingers.”

Deyo stitched the wound with a thread of horse tail. “Within two days he was up chasing the cats,” she said. She named him Trooper.

--

Fifteen months later, two men brought Deyo a fawn they had found under a car in a parking lot in Mount Vernon. “He was severely dehydrated and started seizing when he got here,” she said. “It was obvious he’d been hit.”

She named him Patch.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Sad. It's prejudice towards animals. It's survival instinct. Conserving resources.

The law is too rigid. It's not a bad idea that they discourage people from taking in animals or feeding them, but you have to be human about this. Humans aren't robots and things are fluid.

We're not robots but we're becoming more like them. Is a hybrid machine human world.

I'ts laughable really. Ther'es nothing "natural" about earth anymore, especially in modern times. Animals are never going to be separate from us. They will continue to "get in the way." We're going to manage everything on this planet. Is nothing natural at all. What a stupid joke this is.

We'll be like the synthetic man with tentacle arms who still says he's human.
edit on 14-8-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

top topics

join