join

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

A. I didn't vote for President Obama.

B. I work 40 hours a week.

C. I get Foodstamps.

D. [snipped]
edit on Tue Aug 13 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If I had a Govt program, it would look like food stamps.

So, let me guess, this article is racist, maybe a dog whistle?

Oh, wait, it is Bush's fault, has to be.

Or maybe the evil GOP as they drink the blood of albino virgins born only under a full moon.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dean007

Yes, it is already bloated. So lets pump more money into bigger Govt.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
People need to lay off the damn food stamp program. The myths and disinformation about it are legion and legend but it's become the lightning rod of class warfare for BOTH sides to point to!

Republicans: Damn worthless mooch class sucks us dry from food stamps spent on Lobster!

Democrats: Damn cold blooded conservatives want every needy person to die from hunger in the street!

^^^ and another day passes with each side talking AT each other for public consumption, while they clink glasses and try not to bump pinky fingers at the cocktail parties later each evening.

Of ALL the programs, Food Stamps is the *ONE* that really can't be abused. Not really when you think about it. Food Stamps *MUST* buy food. The programming into the store computers dictates and separates it all out without anyone having to touch a thing. One total for Food and one for Cash. All automatically...like magic.

If we have too many people on it, it's because OUR ECONOMY SUCKS, not because millions upon millions of additional people JUST woke up and decided screwing Uncle Sam was a great thing to get done.

They can make REAL cuts to bull crap programs that make a new weapon, or library or satellite while feeding half the friggen world in international FOOD AID programs ....or we can cut our OWN aid programs and rip food out from the hands of our OWN citizens.

The choice appears made for which matters more ..and damn America for choosing that way. Life comes second to profit and Government slush accounting.. as always.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The rules were relaxed to promot fraud and abuse... As if this wasn't happening already. Not everyone (not me) who uses food stamps are frauds or drug addicts. My sister was a single mother who used snap to purchase necessary formula and food for my nephew (who started kindergarden today!) regardless, I see more people demonizing this than realizing. THIS HAS ALWAYS BEEN HAPPENING!!! Wake the hell up!

Neo brought to light a scenerio that has been re-occuring and abused since day 1~ Nice job btw Neo

It literally costs me approx. 200-250usd every 2 weeks to keep food in the fridge (By mid 2nd week we are almost out). That's not buying junk food either... Though I like my oreo's... and cupcakes... I like cupcakes
.... I can't afford to buy that crap anymore. That's nearly 500usd a month and while I'm making more than most but by no means am I rich or even remotely close~ IT"S A RIDICULOUS Amount!

After reading this article.... I might be telling the mother of my Child to sign us up. JUST TO GET MY DING DONGS~

Hell, if they want to destroy the U.S~ I'll gladly do my part and add some fuel to a raging fire.

Get the heads out the arses~ And I'll pass your drug test~ Do me a favor first, drug test everyone who holds a seat in CONGRESS, SENATE, EL PRESIDENTE' and all POLITICIANS first~

They have Civillians blaming Civillians~ WAKE THE FETCH UP~

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Well the real winner here is jp morgan.

www.rooseveltinstitute.org...

This week’s credit check: A record 43.6 million Americans are using food stamps. JPMorgan’s segment that makes food stamp debit cards made $5.47 billion in net revenue in 2010.

I wonder who's getting that kick back.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Here is my take on it.

If the Fed Govt wants to light all of the Tax payer funds on fire, and then piss on it, fine by me.
I am tired of being looked upon as the piggy bank to steal from, when the Govt wants to go all drunken sailor and hand out money like it is going out to style.

If the Govt can operate within the realm of a flat tax, 15% on EVERYONE, can work within budget and stop taking more and more from me and others, I could really care less about food stamps and such.
Food stamps are a fast track for people to become dependent on Govt, and really is a shame that people allow themselves to get hooked on the drug, but that is the individuals problem.

I know and realize people need help, but enough is enough.
Stop the aid to others countries, stop funding wars in other countries in the name of their people (They don't want it and don't deserve our help), stop handing free stuff out to people. Go back to how the country was constructed.

Want to know why most people don't give to charities, because the attitude has come to the Govt will take care of everyone.

If I was only taxed at 15% of my income, instead of 30%, I would be able to give more to charity than what I do now. Instead, the Govt steals it from me, in the false name of "For the poor" and in all reality, it doesn't go towards helping people so much as helping Govt.

edit on 14-8-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

As I've said before, I fully realize and agree with the need for reform in the entitltlement programs. Abuse is common and fraud is entirely too frequent all around.

However, to put this another way....lets ask it this way.

What sort of nation will we be when TANF is wiped out (welfare), Food Stamps are stamped out, Medicare is a shadow of what it is today for services to the public and basically? We're left with all the bad with nothing to show for it?

Oh, we'll still have the trillions in budget and the White House budget numbers show it does nothing but go up and up, despite SNAP and other programs being shown in projections as going down.

So.. Will we all be happier when no one is actually benefiting from the unbelievable waste and there is no one left among us to blame it on ...yet the PROBLEM hasn't changed or improved one bit?

It's not that we NEED reform I take issue with...it's how much pain for little people must come FIRST while those inflicting the pain rush to their August recess or next vacation in the Rockies or France.

Cut Food Assistance..? Sure... Right after cutting about a Trillion in OTHER spending that the average American won't feel direct pain in their daily life from. Priorities.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I agree, kind of.

Social programs were never in the design of this country. It was always left to the individual, community and church.

Given the nature of Govt, and its own appetite to grow and take more, it can't be trusted in operating such programs.

So, a quandary is left.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Well, yes, a quandary is exactly how I'd put it too. In theory, I'd like to see all the programs go away. Especially as I'm deep in this years 'budget' project for my summer side work and seeing all over again, just HOW much of spending the overall 'Welfare State' accounts for. (The vast majority of Federal Spending...primarily between medical and Social Sec old age...)

However, we then need to ask..what would happen? Assuming we weren't in a bottomed out economy to start with. I look at the 1930's to be reminded of why the programs were made. Soup Kitchens or an option we can't even imagine these days, literally dying of hunger or exposure on an American street for pure lack of any other option available.

So where is the middle between being heartless monsters, indifferent to suffering ...and being intelligent stewards of an American legacy it's not ours to trash?

I'd say we need to pretty well hold where things are at for entitlement programs. No major expansions..no major cuts. Just freeze in place for a moment ..while difficult things like economic progress are looked at and achieved. When the economy is better so jobs are there when people are told to go get one? Then, I'll be right beside you to call for deep systemic changes to the whole American support system. It DOES need it....just not during it's greatest hour of need.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I do see the need for help to people. But...........The Govt, be design, is not supposed to be this all caring machine, taking care of people.
It was put in place to manage a small portion of life, with the minimum amount of intrusion.
When Govt starts saying this person can't fail, by providing food, shelter and so on, then it by law can't limit all the others then. So, what starts out as a good intention, turns into the monstrosity we have today with the Govt paying for cell phones, food stamps used for cornchips, Corporations making millions processing all of that .

The Govt, like Lady Justice, is supposed to be blind, not making exceptions or special deals for person(s).

If I am created equal as defined by our documents, then I should be able to get food stamps as well, regardless of my income.
The Govt has defined me not equal to those that receive food stamps (Just as an example).

Gotta wonder, how did all of those people make it before such programs existed.
Did they just slump over in the corner and let themselves starve, or did they do what was necessary to feed themselves?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

You raise this whole issue from an interesting side and something a bit more philosophical but very much relevant. What is the core and ultimate purpose of Government. Is it's ultimate purpose to support and assist the people in individual, daily life? Well.. no... I suppose not, when put that way. Sometimes it does take a stark way of saying it to see the base point being made. lol...

Same problem in reality though. What now? The Government has gotten millions upon millions dependent upon them and now, in an economy where there may or may not be 'other' choices left. The most common problem finding work now is 'You've been unemployed too long'. Well, hell... That's harsh when it includes 10's of millions of people, eh?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts tho... If you had the famous 'King for a Day' throne, how would you address this?

Specifically, how do you get from a position of 50% of the nation on benefits of one type or another ...back to pre 1930 levels of personal responsibility literally meaning "Work and Eat or don't and die"? We can't just flip switches and make the changes. Oh..We COULD in technical terms ..but human damage would be extreme. How to go from the mess we're in to where we really NEED to be ...and still maintain the basic compassion within the system the 1930's showed the need for?
edit on 14-8-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

As most know, from my posts here, I don't really care about public opinion of myself. I am what I am, and that is all that I am.

King for a day?
Abolish the IRS.
Implement the Flat tax.
Take all welfare programs and put in place a 120 day time frame for being on any of them. Only to be used once year.
Unemployment, 120 days max per year. No benefits unless you are actively looking for work
Food stamps, same thing. 120 days and you have to be working or providing proof of looking for work.
If, the citizen wants further benefits, they must work on projects like highway litter control or such. I know that it sounds like make work and is like the Progressive mindset I rail against, but it would be used for 5 years and then phased out

Reign in the Fed Govt role in inter state commerce and laws.
Revoke aid for foreign countries.
Bring our military out of war zones and allow the native people to deal with the problem.
Control the borders
Fine companies that hire illegals. Start with $100k first offense, then work your way up.

That is about where I would start.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Okay, so what Office are you running for first and where do I vote early and often for ya?

I'm only half kidding....because I actually agree on almost every point. I guess it's the order of action we're watching here, priorities or lack of them, and reasons (or wrong reasons) so much is being done.

In some ways, the things they are going after like this now are like giving a death row inmate multiple organ transplants. While it sure helps the system feel good about progress being made, the patient is still being killed by the other far more serious actions of the same system.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Running for office??? NO thank you.
I already have enough on my plate to keep me busy for 3 lifetimes.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

They can make REAL cuts to bull crap programs that make a new weapon, or library or satellite while feeding half the friggen world in international FOOD AID programs ....or we can cut our OWN aid programs and rip food out from the hands of our OWN citizens.

Do you realize that 'new weapon' or 'satellite' is made from a private company that is 'blue collar' that pays income tax that goes to pay for that food stamp program?

Multiplied that by other business making the products, and materials needed to make them that employes people that also pay income taxes to pay for those food stamps.

And on and on.

Quandry is right gut real programs and the effect is the same people still on welfare.

Quandry?

Squandry imo.

Private business injects new wealth that create's tax revenue to pay for programs.

Social programs take more of that tax revenue than they return to the system which is why deficits are incurred.
edit on 14-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Do you realize that 'new weapon' or 'satellite' is made from a private company that is 'blue collar' that pays income tax that goes to pay for that food stamp program?

Multiplied that by other business making the products, and materials needed to make them that employes people that also pay income taxes to pay for those food stamps.

You're not really using that logic to support and defend a $700 billion dollar defense industry that comes about equal to the Gross Domestic Product of Saudi Arabia and just under the Netherlands in it's OWN right .....while going after 10's of billions of program which directly feed people ....are ya?

You really don't figure out of the $6.3 TRILLION dollars of combined Gov't spending, there may be a better place to start than food assistance to the citizens? I mean SNAP doesn't even account for much in it's own right. Less than 100 billion dollars (1.57% of 2013 Federal Spending) is the place to START and hit really hard for savings?

There is logic to budget cutting ...then there is the deliberate infliction of pain while pushing a class war. This sure isn't logical, I'll say that.
edit on 14-8-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: added link

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

You're not really using that logic to support and defend a $700 billion dollar defense industry that comes about equal to the Gross Domestic Product of Saudi Arabia and just under the Netherlands in it's OWN right .....while going after 10's of billions of program which directly feed people ....are ya?

As opposed to the current WELFARE industry to the tune of $2.2 trillion ALONE that doesn't count DEFENSE.

Miss the part of the op where criteria for food stamps have been loosened to encourage fraud and abuse ?

As well as other programs across the board have been loosened.

Miss the part where the DEFENSE industry are middle class jobs that PAY INCOME TAX that pay for those social programs ?

We spend more money on Welfare that other countries social programs and defense programs COMBINED.

Think exposing corruption in the welfare complex in this country is pushing 'class warfare' ?

Really ?

That is just sad.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Neo, you can be outraged about the Social Support Programs and you have every right to be. Every American does. It's outrageous and it's destroying us. You know I spend as much time as anyone here in Federal Budget numbers. All over again this year and for something bigger than the budget boards this time, in fact.

You're staring at an elephant though....and getting pissed about an ugly toenail on one of it's feet.

(Source)

That is the pile of garbage the 1.5% spent on Food stamps comes out of. That Mountain...is where that little stone falls down from. ...and of all that, it's one of those few that, whatever the end result for who eats it? FOOD is purchased as the system allows. Someone eats what they wouldn't have eaten before. Regardless.

So, among those trillions.....this tiny speck of a fly buzzing around to annoy everyone is a symptom, not the source it came from. Killing it just inflicts pain without doing a thing about the crap that spawned it. Lets just be a little careful in how much PAIN is inflicted on individual people.

Within those trillions of dollars absolutely ARE mere billion dollar sections that can cause severe pain. This is one of them, IMO.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I used to go to pawn shops to buy used video games since I refuse to shop at gamestop, and gamestop put lots of the local game and comic book stores out of business. Lately I have noticed a trend of certain people taking groceries to the pawn shops and getting half price for them, I used to think man thats a bad deal until it dawned on me why they were pawning food at half price. They didn't have to pay for it so the owner of this ghetto pawn shop was shopping half off basically
I havnt been there in a long time but I did hear that this place got busted by the state police, but I wonder how often this happens because of the give away food stamps??

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join