It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey for those who do not believe in evolution

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
A brief survey, as I am curious... please answer honestly and kindly. This is not meant to be a quiz, or intimidating, or judgmental.

1. Would you say that you understand the scientific process by which evolutionary relationships are determined?

2. Is natural selection the only way that evolution can occur? Or can you list other ways?

3. Do you know what the following words mean?

a - Taxonomy

b - Phylogeny

c - Parsimony

d - Synapomorphy

e - Cladogram

4. Do you believe that you are accurately able to interpret a cladogram?

5a. Are you familiar with morphological, genetic, and fossil-based determination methods?
5b. Are you familiar with the pros, cons, and balancings between these methods?

Thank you very much!
edit on 8/13/2013 by ravenshadow13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
hummmm, let me google these really fast and get back to you. lol

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I believe science is the method being used to examine everything possible in Creation.
To term evolution as what science believes is the timeline of Creation here on Earth, sure why not.
To believe evolution is a built in mechanism of Creation, sure why not.

Evolution can only disprove someone's uneducated narrow definition of Creation. Some nutter can proclaim the earth is 6000 years old for example.

To believe evolution can somehow disprove Creation, that is impossible.
Creation can step in above evolution at any point and claim evolution is only looking at the mechanics of Creation.

None of your questions you listed are relevant to belief in evolution.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I don't see any evidence that suggests/proves evolution. Only some promoting it. Real evidence I obtain through reading, listening, and using my own judgement piecing together what I sense a right or true. I see much suggesting creation. Let me let you know; I don't read the bible, never have..I don't go to church and haven't since being a little boy(And I never will). And I don't pray. With all that said let me add I am not religious in any form nor will I ever be. But I am starting to believe in god in some non religion sense. And it's because of what my research leads me to believe. I have a lot of time on my hands to be paying attention. I will not dive into you question either. You are asking for us to dis-prove what nobody has proven in the first place. I believe this is a wasted thread not in the sense of discussion but within the information presented inside the discussion. I personally have FOUR HUNDRED AND FOUR news paper articles that indicate we were between 9 and 25 feet tall with double sets of teeth. I want you to explain that with the evolution theory. Here is over 110 I composed for you in a video I am proud of. Thanks. www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Creationists and evolutionists need to quit bitchin and just hold hands

Why can't both exist?

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

My questions are extremely relevant to how evolutionary relationships are determined in science; i.e. are humans and apes descended from a common ancestor?

No one has answered my actual questions. I really do believe that most people who do not believe in evolution have no clue how it is even supposed to work.

I'm just wondering. Feel free to prove me wrong...

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Hey I believe in evolution and aside from number 2 I don’t know what those terms mean which makes me think that to be honest answering number one I would have to say no but up until now I thought I had a firm grasp on it.

Oh well I guess I have some reading to do I don’t like being willfully ignorant.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I bet many will just post an off topic rebuttal and move on though.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

Hey I believe in evolution and aside from number 2 I don’t know what those terms mean which makes me think that to be honest answering number one I would have to say no but up until now I thought I had a firm grasp on it.

Oh well I guess I have some reading to do I don’t like being willfully ignorant.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I bet many will just post an off topic rebuttal and move on though.

Hey, you're welcome!

Here's a pretty basic description of some of these concepts:
biology.unm.edu...

Here's a slightly more complex (but I think overall better) description--it's like a little course: www.ucmp.berkeley.edu...

There are more resources available. Feel free to ask me any questions--as goes for everyone!

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Check out this awesome website on misconceptions about evolution!

evolution.berkeley.edu...

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Originally posted by Akragon

Creationists and evolutionists need to quit bitchin and just hold hands

Why can't both exist?

We can and we do. I don't see evolutionists and creationists starting wars and killing people over their disagreement or how humanity was formed.

Here are my honest answers without doing searching on the internet:

1. Would you say that you understand the scientific process by which evolutionary relationships are determined?

Generally speaking, yes.

2. Is natural selection the only way that evolution can occur? Or can you list other ways?

Not that I'm aware of, no.

3. Do you know what the following words mean?

a - Taxonomy

b - Phylogeny

c - Parsimony

d - Synapomorphy

e - Cladogram

I only know what taxonomy mean. It is how species are classified.

4. Do you believe that you are accurately able to interpret a cladogram?

No.

5a. Are you familiar with morphological, genetic, and fossil-based determination methods?

If you mean carbon dating and stuff like that, then yes.

5b. Are you familiar with the pros, cons, and balancings between these methods?

Different methods will have to be used depending on how old the fossil is.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

My questions are extremely relevant to how evolutionary relationships are determined in science; i.e. are humans and apes descended from a common ancestor?

No one has answered my actual questions. I really do believe that most people who do not believe in evolution have no clue how it is even supposed to work.

I'm just wondering. Feel free to prove me wrong...

It doesn't matter how it works, Creation is always above evolution. If part of the Creation process is shown to be, through evolution, that the path to man is through apes so be it, it will only be a part of the Creation process.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

It doesn't matter how it works, Creation is always above evolution. If part of the Creation process is shown to be, through evolution, that the path to man is through apes so be it, it will only be a part of the Creation process.

What is this "creation" you speak of?
Where does it come from?
What does it do?
How does it do it?
What makes you think so?

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by drakus

Where does it come from?
What does it do?
How does it do it?
What makes you think so?

Evolution is one of mans attempts to understand Creation. Go ask the evolutionists, anything they find will lead to further understanding of the Creation.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Where does it come from?
What does it do?
How does it do it?
What makes you think so?

Evolution is one of mans attempts to understand Creation. Go ask the evolutionists, anything they find will lead to further understanding of the Creation.

Wtf?
You brought up this "creation" thing, it's only fair you explain it.
Cause, you know, we heathens tend to like thinking and questioning stuff...

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

No to all the questions. When considering evolutionary relationships I just look at all the lil' creatures that look an awful lot like humans and I say, "Hmmmm." That's all I need to know.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Where does it come from?
What does it do?
How does it do it?
What makes you think so?

Wtf?

All of man's theories can go all the way back to what we understand as the big bang, then Creation can rear it's ugly head and take credit for all. Don't like that then we can theorize multiple universes with multiple big bangs but the initial vibration in nothing can be be claimed by Creationists. All probabilities came into being after the point of creation so anything that is, was made possible by Creation.
The argument is unwinnable, Creation always wins. Exercises in futility are mans domain though.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Where does it come from?
What does it do?
How does it do it?
What makes you think so?

Wtf?

All of man's theories can go all the way back to what we understand as the big bang, then Creation can rear it's ugly head and take credit for all. Don't like that then we can theorize multiple universes with multiple big bangs but the initial vibration in nothing can be be claimed by Creationists. All probabilities came into being after the point of creation so anything that is, was made possible by Creation.
The argument is unwinnable, Creation always wins. Exercises in futility are mans domain though.

If that is your definition of "creation" then "creation" is dishonest.
"We don't know" always win.
If I don't know, belief is irrelevant.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

I am talking about evolutionary biology, here, which begins after the spark of life has already come into existence on this planet.

Let's stick to the topic at hand. Evolution, mostly by natural selection, and relationships between species.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by TinfoilTP

I am talking about evolutionary biology, here, which begins after the spark of life has already come into existence on this planet.

Let's stick to the topic at hand. Evolution, mostly by natural selection, and relationships between species.

Ahh that spark of life from the creationist standpoint includes the ability to adapt to the environment and co dependencies within the environment. Why would a creator not include unattended self adaptability?
This also includes things like viruses. If the environment becomes overpopulated, lack of available food and unsanitary conditions would lead to culling. The simplest path for nature would be to just let the overpopulation starve off, yet there are complex diseases that perform this task. The life infected that survives adapts to resist these diseases to ensure survivability from the current outbreak, but the virus has the ability to rapidy adapt so as to reset itself so that it will still be viable in the environment the next time culling conditions arise.

This interdependency is seen as evidence of Intelligent design.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Creation and Evolution can co exist without contradiction, but i just don't believe in Creation, its an excuse for people who doesn't want to think.

Which god created creation?
How did that god got created?
What was before that god?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join