It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near-death experiences exposed ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Hi guys

Did a search as usual but you never know with this search engine

I wasn't sure whether this go into science or paranormal so mods feel free to move it as appropriate

I had a NDE a long time ago when I smashed myself up pretty bad in a bike crash. Strange memories came back to me, not the momentous moments of life but strange little things like being a boy scout, or planting vegetables in my dad's garden resting my head on mum's lap, the innocent stuff I suppose.

On the way hospital I died for a short time. That is when I met my angel, the feeling of love peace and calm was indescribable and like to think it genuinely happened, nothing will change that belief, it is burned into my memory as a fact.

However

U.S. scientists found something happens at the brink of death that pushes the conscious brain to a high level of arousal, potentially triggering visions The study is the first to take a systematic look at the neurophysiological state of the dying brain after a cardiac arrest

The article goes on to explain

Research suggests that far from being a brush with the afterlife, they are caused by a rush of electrical activity in the dying brain. In experiments on rats whose hearts had stopped, the pattern of activity was similar to that seen when the animals were fully conscious. death A mysterious surge of brain activity observed in dying rats may explain reports of near-death-experiences.

Even after the animals' hearts stopped beating and no blood was reaching their brains, they appeared to show signs of conscious perception, said the scientists

However, the signals were up to eight times stronger. The researchers said that the discovery that the brain is highly active in the seconds after the heart stops suggests that the phenomenon has a physical, rather than spiritual nature.

It has been argued that the dying brain is incapable of such complex activity and so near-death experiences must have their origins in the soul. It suggests something happens at the brink of death that pushes the conscious brain to a high level of arousal, potentially triggering the visions and sensations associated with near-death experiences (NDEs).

I thought this was quite interesting to read and thought I'd share it with you guys

There is more in the ARTICLE

If you wish to read it

Cody

edit on 13/8/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
This could also explain the stories of people going to heaven or hell and seeing Jesus when they have a near death experience. It's just a coping mechanism for those who are about to die.

S&F for the interesting article.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Utter and entire Be-Ess "scientific" attempt to explain away NDEs.

People have NDEs *without* a dying brain. There are accounts where people "left their body" in situations where their car veered out of control. They were given a choice, returned back into their bodies and then avoided the accident. (The concept of being given a choice whether to live or "die" is quite common when it comes to NDE experiences. There is also this element of being able to alter the outcome)

This OBVIOUSLY entirely disproves that NDEs are just from [drug name] or whatever other chemical released into the brain in the moment of death.

Second:

NDEs are reported when there is NO brain activity *whatsoever*. Classical case the woman who underwent a surgery and was literally pumped "blood less" with her body/brain on ice. No brain activity *whatsoever* while she had the NDE.

Third:

Chaotic, random brain activity as the scientists try to explain it away does NOT explain why thousands of people in all societies and cultures have the same experiences, it doesn't explain why people with NDEs *only* see deceased ones and never still living persons. If it was just some random brain cells firing in the moment of death there would not be ANY consistency in the reports, neither would the experiences be complex and coherent. Those are rather weak and poor explanations.
edit on 13-8-2013 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Nice article but it still doesn't explain why some people are able to see around the room or describe things going on around them when there is no way they can know (being dead and all). I think the article is lacking and may be grabbing at straws to explain things that scientists don't understand going on.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

What makes you think the brain doesn't react to these "potentially" fatal accidents in the same way it does to an "actual" fatal accidents?

It could be that if there is a chance of dying, the brain automatically goes into this state whether the person ends up dying or not.
edit on 13-8-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

People have NDEs *without* a dying brain. There are accounts where people "left their body" in situations where their car veered out of control. They were given a choice, returned back into their bodies and then avoided the accident. (The concept of being given a choice whether to live or "die" is quite common when it comes to NDE experiences. There is also this element of being able to alter the outcome)

Sorry, that's a daydream where I'm from.

For example, I recently went Hiking along a cost line with my wife, cliff edge hiking that was less than safe. As we approached a particularly terrifying pass, in my minds eye I clearly played out the scenario of me slipping and falling off the edge.

But, I walked over it fine after that little episode, and didn't fall to my death. How, exactly, is that different than your car accident example? It's not. i'm supposed to take their word for it? Nah, pass on that. I'm not saying they don't happen, and I'm not saying I can prove you don't have a soul, but I am saying science has replicated most NDEs and it's anything but supernatural.

Lets just ignore the studies they did with applying electrical current to different parts of the brain, as well as magnetic fields, which produced, verbatim, what most NDE's say they experience.

Here's food for thought...

How many Muslims, or Buddists, or Athiests, see Jesus when they have an NDE? Probably not many, right?
edit on 13-8-2013 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Firstly welcome to ATS

As I stated

On the way hospital I died for a short time. That is when I met my angel, the feeling of love peace and calm was indescribable and like to think it genuinely happened, nothing will change that belief, it is burned into my memory as a fact.

As you stated

Classical case the woman who underwent a surgery and was literally pumped "blood less" with her body/brain on ice. No brain activity *whatsoever* while she had the NDE.

Could it be that the NDE happened before and she merely perceives it as during ?

Cody

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
This could also explain the stories of people going to heaven or hell and seeing Jesus when they have a near death experience. It's just a coping mechanism for those who are about to die.

S&F for the interesting article.

Thanks

It's what ATS is, a good forum for debate,

Cody

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Sorry, that's a daydream where I'm from.

Lets just ignore the studies they did with applying electrical current to different parts of the brain, as well as magnetic fields, which produced, verbatim, what most NDE's say they experience.

Here's food for thought...

How many Muslims, or Buddists, or Athiests, see Jesus when they have an NDE? Probably not many, right?

What has this to do with Jesus? Or whoever prophet/diety?

As to my knowledge, people do *in fact* see what they believe, at least in the first stages of the so called after-life. People who BELIEVE that Jesus will greet them will indeed see Jesus. So what?

Also..in regards to the "explanation"..whether it is certain drugs, the NDE "helm" which produces electromagnetic fields or the fact that "we measured significant brain activity in a dying brain".

How does that "disprove" the 'reality' of the experiences? In fact, I would actually expect increased/abnormal high brain activity...but that's not the point. It does NOT explain one single thing let alone invalidate the experiences as being "not real", not in the slightest.

edit on 13-8-2013 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Hey Cody,

I saw this as well earlier on and was going to post it but someone beet me to it and it looks like they beet you to it as well.

Sorry buddy,

I know, new search sucks like something i can't mention or it would break T&C's

But, "there's already a thread on this!"
edit on 13-8-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Already posted Here

Sorry Doc missed that

Mods please remove this thread out of respect for a fellow member, members please redirect replies to original thread

Thank you

Cody

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This sort of corroborates my theory that higher dimensions are based on electromagnetic frequency. Powerful electrical currents in the brain allow us to connect with higher dimensions, but our biology is incapable of withstanding the extended strain without serious side effects. We are designed for this dimension, so straining our bodies to exceed the energetic limits of this dimension in order to access the next is a very dangerous exercise. But then...death happens. And suddenly, our vessel's strain isn't so relevant because our vessel is no longer relevant to us.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by cody599

Hey Cody,

I saw this as well earlier on and was going to post it but someone beet me to it and it looks like they beet you to it as well.

Sorry buddy,

I know, new search sucks like something i can't mention or it would break T&C's

But, "there's already a thread on this!"
edit on 13-8-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

Just caught it and did the decent thing OSOTC

Many thanks for pointing it out

Cody

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

This is the third theory I've seen trying to explain experiences had by the dead. If it were legitimate science, they would give the outcome in a scientific fashion but, instead, it's always with this air of "Whew! Ok, no afterlife. Just your brain doing things".

What's stupid about that is that it doesn't explain or disprove any theories at all. If I see my bedroom light on the ceiling and didn't understand how it turned on and then somebody showed me that it was just the light switch, it wouldn't make the light any less real. Showing the mechanism behind something doesn't change the result.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Please redirect answers to original thread HERE

Cody

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Good thread. My question is........how come they are just now testing this.....You cannot deny something exists and say it is a release of brain chemicals without having proof. This shows me that the mind is whizzing when we die for a while and it actually creates energy to survive for a while on it's own, just in case a person recovers. This is real evidence, not speculation like the deniers were flaunting as real.

I am sure that the brain can rewire itself at this time and when the person comes back to life, they act differently.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

You and Doc really should talk more.

ETA: Since I gave him a S&F, I gave you one too.

edit on 8/13/2013 by sled735 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

My bad

Cody

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The "scientific community" (church) has a vested interest in explaining away NDEs as nothing more than overactive electrochemical reactions in the brain. To even entertain the possibility that they are anything but is heresy.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Interesting study, but I wonder of they considered that the brain activity could be from a spiritual cause? I find it interesting that such studies refuse to address anything not purely physical.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join