It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto shooting victims' families call for police overhaul (and are marching right now)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Toronto shooting victims' families call for police overhaul

www.cbc.ca

Friends and family members of police shooting victims gathered in Toronto Tuesday, asking for changes to police conduct in the wake the death of Sammy Yatim, the 18-year-old man shot dead by police on a Toronto streetcar last month.

The news conference came ahead of a rally planned for noon at Yonge-Dundas Square, where protesters are expected to call for justice for Yatim.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 13-8-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I watched the live feed conference with interest. Various community representatives came forward with informed observations and recommendations about specific reforms, including the firing of certain individuals and eliminating certain positions within the system. One recommended that failure to use de-escalating techniques should be part of a charge against the police when lethal force is used.

The general observations were that in many such cases police simply yell orders and the victim is killed for failure to obey. They want that approach to change completely when dealing with someone in a distraught mental state, as yelling orders is not de-escalation.

I am looking forward to see if the noon march will bear fruit. One thing for certain is that although there are good police out there, there is a gap between their training and their approach to handling mentally distraught person. I think Toronto has had enough of police violence. They want cameras on police and charges against an officer who turns his off, including disabling the police car camera.

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

A complete overhaul is long overdue.

It's pretty bad that I am more afraid of the Police than I am of the gangs and other criminals when I visit Toronto (It's not just Toronto either).
edit on 8/13/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Why 'ask' for changes ? You should demand them ! It's high time that the peoples of this world make it perfectly clear that if their governments don't do as they are told, they're OUT !

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Live twitter feed about march here They are marching to police headquarters where there is a meeting of the police services board in session about the shooting.
edit on 13-8-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sayzaar
Why 'ask' for changes ? You should demand them ! It's high time that the peoples of this world make it perfectly clear that if their governments don't do as they are told, they're OUT !

^quoted for TRUTH! You tell them and then you make them.

Okay, then TPTB say you're a terrorist @ plant some child pron on your computer assassinate your character.

Derek

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Any Torontonians on ATS who went to it? We haven't heard an outcome. I have to guess here that the march leaders presented their press releases to the board in some way if given the chance to do so, but we don't know if that came to pass. The news report showed the parents of Sammy were present at the board meeting inside.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

The guy was holding his penis in one hand and a knife in the other threatening several people. The police told him to drop the knife, he didn't listen and went for the door. That's when the officers shot him. I'm sorry, but I don't feel any sympathy for the guy.

Should you have had family on board, you'd be happy that the officers handled it this way.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

It was my understanding that he was the ONLY one on the streetcar. You should watch the video. They shot this guy so many times, so many times...

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

Ah si, IF I had any family on board would be an entirely different scenario. However the circumstances were that he was entirely alone after letting the passengers leave the bus. He was therefore in a confined space alone.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

i live just an hour away from toronto and i watched the videos ,funny thing the kid wanted to talk to his dad even though he had a knife in his hand -sounds like a plea for help.the cop fired 3 times and put him down ,then he had the balls to shoot the kid 6 more times because he felt threatened or so he claims .then you see the boys in blue stamping all over the shell cases ,talk about destroying the crime scene.in waltzes the great s.i.u. [special investigations unit ] yea cops protecting cops i have yet to see one brought before the judges of their peers -[we the tax payers ] who happen to pay their wages so they can shoot us and our kids ,beat us down because we dare to protest for changes and corrections , shut down our national parks because the dirty little truths about their corporate mega POLLUTERS NEVER COMES TO SURFACE AND THIS LIST GOES ON AND ON IN EVERY NATION .----RIGHTS FREEDOMS AND CHARTERS ---are not worth the trees they cut down to write them on as they broke every one of them . oh yea they did this to the natives here in the americas also ,MONEYis all that matters and of course the right to control us through any and all means at their disposal and of course the TAX PAYERS POCKETS ,the worse part is we pay their damm wages for what

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Auricom

The guy was holding his penis in one hand and a knife in the other threatening several people. The police told him to drop the knife, he didn't listen and went for the door. That's when the officers shot him. I'm sorry, but I don't feel any sympathy for the guy.

The thing is, they barked orders at an obviously mentally distraught guy instead of using de-escalating tactics. And what people are upset about is that he was killed for not obeying orders. He can yell threats all he wants. He was in a confined space. (Ever been to a mental hospital and hear the kind of threats patients lay on the staff? The staff are not armed and none of their interventions require them to kill the patients) The police used the wrong tactics in this particular situation. Common sense. There was lots of brawn shown, but little intelligence. It looked like a free for all intervention.

And then as he lay dying, another policeman enters and tazers a mortally wounded man. Again wrong tactics. These simply have to be reviewed. I am not anti-police. I was married to one and I know some of the things they go through, but when they keep using tactics that get people killed when it is not necessary, then they have to be called on the carpet for it.
edit on 14-8-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I have been calling for drug testing of police for a long time. I think a lot of this "bravado" is coming from steroid abuse. It fits.

new topics

top topics

join