It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomorrow i am taking the Hyperloop to work...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Wahhhhhh...

If this ever happens i want to be one of the first to test it out!

The billionaire inventor and entrepreneur behind PayPal and SpaceX unveiled details on Monday about a new transportation system that might someday shuttle people around the world quicker than an airplane and at a fraction of the cost.

Elon Musk, the South African-born scientist who also oversees operations of the Tesla electric car, revealed on Monday the most information yet about his Hyperloop project, a transportation system that he previously said could move people from Los Angeles, California to San Francisco in half an hour.

Although i am in Europe and the protocol of this will no doubt be tested in the States, just imagine... You can either go on as a seated passenger or even drive on with your own car and at up to 800 m/p/h (or 966 Kmh) get to your final destination in record time!

These are the proposed draft routes so far :

Full story here :

rt.com...

Couple of videos here too :

Looking forward to how this all turns out and if it does eventually become a reality... also looking forward to the debates from the rail and bus lobbies!

Interesting times ahead...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Why would you build something like that in California?
One halfway decent earthquake and it's all over.

Could you imagine if a section fell and you shot out of the tube at 800mph?

Yeah, I'm going to be a little late for work today, I'm in Japan.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
Why would you build something like that in California?
One halfway decent earthquake and it's all over.

Could you imagine if a section fell and you shot out of the tube at 800mph?

Yeah, I'm going to be a little late for work today, I'm in Japan.

I asked myself the same question today!

BFM news over here in France say that there is a possibility of building an earthquake proof one!!!

I also read this :

Another interesting bit: the Hyperloop tubes would rest atop huge pylons, but would not be fixed the way a freeway overpass is bonded to its supports. That way, if an earthquake hit, their ability to squirm about as the ground shook, coupled with 3-axis motion dampeners, would make the system more earthquake-proof than traditional infrastructure.

From here :

www.digitaltrends.com...

Not sure it would withstand if the "Big one" hit though...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
i hope elon musk does get the funding for this but it is a awful big project to do the size alone .

why does he not do a smaller trial somewhere like the u.k as they are building a new line at stupid money 100s of billions of dollars .

i would love to see this happen but can see tptb nobbling this how easy would it be to shoot up

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by geobro
i hope elon musk does get the funding for this but it is a awful big project to do the size alone .

why does he not do a smaller trial somewhere like the u.k as they are building a new line at stupid money 100s of billions of dollars .

i would love to see this happen but can see tptb nobbling this how easy would it be to shoot up

Hehe, the UK have already got one in Butlins Skegness :

I actually went on this one back in the early 70s when i was knee high to a grasshopper, although i do believe they have a newer version now (If Butlins still exists?)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
No one in the states uses public transportation, except bums

On a more serious side-note, what if the system fails and the people are trapped within the tube (vacuum!)...I just see so many potential problems with this.

THEN AGAIN..the idea of a "flying tube" (plane) at some time certainly also seemed absurd.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Can the majority of people in California afford to ride it? I thought California was almost as bad off as Detroit?

Imagine if they put charging stations for electric cars along the route though...

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
America needs an efficient high speed rail system, not just in CA, but cross country as well.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
Can the majority of people in California afford to ride it? I thought California was almost as bad off as Detroit?

Imagine if they put charging stations for electric cars along the route though...

Some municipalities are getting there, but California is one of the largest economies in the world, if it was its own Country it would be the 9th largest in the world.

Its not like they don't get funds, its just their out going liabilities caused by mismanagement.

They could recover if the state ever managed to pull its head out of its butt.
edit on 13-8-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
If it goes as fast as you drive Rod

I won't hold my breathe, though I may have to hold my bladder

Cody

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom

This is supposed to be solar powered.

From what i heard on the news today they were talking of roughly 20 to 25 Dollars for a one way ticket

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
If it goes as fast as you drive Rod

I won't hold my breathe, though I may have to hold my bladder

Cody

Was only think of yours and Mrs Cs safety mate... although i must admit, Mrs R and Rod junior say i drive like an old codger!

Warmest respects

Rod

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
they were planning that kind of thing in my city with the near by city back in the 80's already! Exact same thing. It's nothing new at all. But no one ever builds these things. Anything with rails or in this case tubes is was too costly, and complicated. Rail is a thing of the 1800s already. a bi gone era. The next thing will be flying cars and buses that will take you almost anywhere in a fraction of the time.

First this:

Then like this....

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
They really need to create a car, plane, boat, and or sub combo. I really think that would be a valuable vehicle as you could use it to get almost anywhere.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699
They really need to create a car, plane, boat, and or sub combo. I really think that would be a valuable vehicle as you could use it to get almost anywhere.

But Spartcacus, and a BIG BUT, what you also have to think about is the diminishing sources of energy to actually power the different types of transport that you are suggesting?

What i would be worried about also if we had all those flying combos buzzing around, is how would this all be regulated in terms of flight/transport paths?

If you look at the current situation with all the traffic jams with just "normal" road transport it can be a nightmare... imagine the same thing in the sky or sea?

Also what has to be taken into consideration is the cost of fuel : Look at the prices of fuel now (unless you are from the US were i believe it is less expensive), over here in Europe we are paying 1.30€ for 1 liter of diesel..

Not to mention pollution or air and water?

This new type of transport suggests solar power which is a lot more economically and environmentally friendly no?

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 13-8-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Dude, that thing looks like something that came out of that movie "The Core".

Anyway, it's pretty cool, I don't know why the worries and the freak outs. I mean, none of you guys ever rode a bullet train or something?

I mean, they're the greatest. I once rode from Beijing to Tianjin in like... 20 minutes. I don't even think I was on a bullet train, it was like a High Speed Rail system or something akin to that.

In Taiwan it's the best. The High Speed Rail get you from Taipei Taoyuan station to Tainan station in like... 2 hours? maybe less, around 1 and a half?

Also, these rail systems built within metropolitan areas greatly increase the ability to commute from Point A to Point B.

It's cheap, it's a effective, I don't know what more one could ask for.

It wouldn't really make sense to anyone until you have experienced it for yourself. Go take a trip to Taiwan, Hong Hong, Japan or China. Try out their sub way, HSR and bullet trains. Afterwards, you'll come back to your own state wondering why the hell none has implemented these things yet.

From your own home, to literally anywhere in the city, is within travel limits. No need to ever worry about cars, insurance payments, loans, gas, maintenance etc. etc. You walk out of your hotel, literally within 5 minutes walking distance, you'll find bus stations, sub way stations, rail stations that take you anywhere you want for a fraction of the cost of driving your own car.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker84

We have the TGV (Train à Haute Vitesse : High speed train) over here in France... taken it many times... and yep, it lives up to it's name.

On high speed lines speed is 320 Km/h and record speed is 500Km/h

I even believe that the French sold quiet a few to China.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I bet it really will be built...In China, or really anywhere but the US. We'll get things like the proposed high-speed CA train which cost the taxpayers WAY too much money and are not fast enough to really be worth it at all, while the fat cats collecting all the $ it cost the taxpayers to build and maintain buy more mansions and yachts.

GO USA...

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Travel 800 miles in an hour?
I would get into soooooooooo much trouble! This may not be such a good idea.....

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRulesAllowed
No one in the states uses public transportation, except bums

On a more serious side-note, what if the system fails and the people are trapped within the tube (vacuum!)...I just see so many potential problems with this.

THEN AGAIN..the idea of a "flying tube" (plane) at some time certainly also seemed absurd.

There is no vacuum involved. It's wind turbines and magnets.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join