It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Landscaping for Beginners...(AAC)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I started carving crop circle patterns in my lawn because mashed potato monoliths were too cliché and easily hidden amongst the green beans and grilled chicken.

Writing in an unutterable language of circles, squares, dots, and symbols meant for only heavenly eyes to behold. The swirly curling designs of ancient sacred geometry were being carved across my yard embossing the green blades and adorning the topiaries in hopes of communication and communion. Is it madness to wish to communicate and understand the inexplicable, to thirst with an unquenchable desire? But how do you speak when there are no words? Since that night my grasp on reality might be slipping.

...The room is pitch dark except for electric light flashes that slip through the gaps in the blind...

My neighbors pass by with large eyes and open mouths like bleach blond deer caught in the head lights of a Semi truck barreling toward them. It’s possible they believe I have gone mad in the summers sweltering heat, but I really don’t care. Ever since "The Event" as I have taken to calling it tripped the power and put my air conditioner out of commission. I have spent the last few days in an overheated strange stupor, feeling like I am walking in my sleep, so perhaps they are right.

...A Crack of lightning peeling across the sky rattles the walls of my house and shakes me awake, and I hear a thunderstorm rolling in, looking around don't see the green glow from my clock so the power must be out...

Today of all days, when it was expected to reach record temperatures, I finally felt compelled to do something, . Being one of the hottest summers on record was taking its toll in the city, with the highest count of emergency room visits due to heat exhaustion or exposure recent years. Had I succumbed to this infernal summer swelter? Was I truly going mad? Was the other night just a heat induced delusion? Strangely I felt motivated to landscape to express myself and well whatever it was, whatever this feeling is…

It felt real, it felt unreal...

"Quite the lawn you got goin on" my neighbor Bill says swaying slightly as he takes a swig off a mid-afternoon imported and most likely expensive Belgian beer. "Reminds me of something I saw on the Discovery Channel about Ancient Aliens, you tryin to communicate with Aliens?"

Only when a neighbor like Bill would stop and stare too long or mention something would my mind sober again from the otherwise mental daze reminiscing of that night. And yet again I would be pulled back to the boring reality of suburbia.

"Pretty much" I say with a sardonic smile emptying the last bag of clippings, as my sweaty shirt sticks clinging to my chest. Salt drops sting my eyes as I pull the lawnmower over neatly cropped pattern and into the garage. Grabbing the hedge trimmer I swiftly move around Bill and his beer who just stands like he belongs exactly where ever he stands.

"So you gonna leave it like this?" he says a little more seriously adding "You know the HMO will not approve and you'll get a warning, hell I got one for leaving my Cans out for 3 days…"

"Not really worried about it Bill" I say deftly moving on to shape and form a Forsythia into something, some design I won't know until I am finished with it, which is how the whole day has been.

"So come on, you don't really believe Aliens is what knocked the power out and blew up your unit do you?" Bill says as he nervously glances over at his wife, who loves to spread rumors, waters the plants on the porch. Doing the three finger while holding a beer wave and a half smile, it is returned with a knowing frown of "Why are you talking to him" look. The neighborhood gossip spreads quick, when they believe you are the cause of their precious power being down and having to spend a sleepless night in the heat.

The power company stated it was a blown transformer and not my air conditioner that caused the outage. But because it oddly continued to work after the blackout and then was the only one that exploded, they would not replace it. They also didn't believe me that I didn't have a generator because there was no rational explanation as to why it would be able to keep running after the power went out.

...incredibly I hear the fan noise thrumming outside my window, it was still very cool in my room so it must be the air conditioner...

Of course I knew how it kept runnin, but that wouldn't stop the suburban nightmare when the townsfolk want someone or something to blame, they start a modern day witch hunt or suburban equivalent of shunning. While waiting to get power back on makes one cranky I suppose we are so coddled these days. But I swear we are only wrecking the new Mini-van, burning a gourmet BBQ, or loosing a Smarphone away from pitchforks and torches in this community.

...Another flash followed by ground shaking BOOM I slide effortlessly out of my bed...

"That flash of light was either the transformer blowing or your air conditioner, still like to know how yours kept running an hour after the power went out or how it burnt the roof. Where you hiding that generator?" Bill says lightly leering at me a bit with his glassy softly bloodshot eyes.

"Whatever and Nowhere" I try to say smoothly as the truth wouldn't be believed even if I had more proof than the blown conditioner or the circular burn mark on my roof. The reality was I didn't care what he or anyone else thought all I knew is I was being compelled almost driven and he was just interrupting.

As I start on a boxwood, and trigger the trimmer it starts to make a nice buzzing, for a moment I am drawn back to that night and that familiar humming noise. My eyes unfocus and sort of stare again into the distance…

…I feel my body moving but was I in control? And that noise? It was just a tiny pitch higher than the drone of a fan, an electric buzzing that brought me to my window at precisely 3:33 A.M. That hum, so sweet, where had I heard it? It sounded so familiar, I reach up and pull the shade...

"Hey I get it! You’re trying to do some creative landscaping, still won't float with the committee, but good luck!" Looking at the boxwood now shaped like a lollypop on a stick that I finished, again almost completely unconsciously, and then around at the yard Bill interjects again with "Sort of reminds me of that Jim Burken movie the guy with the scissors hands, what was it? Mr Scissors?" Immediately snapping me briefly back into the absurd moment.

"You are joking right? It was Edward Scissorhands and its Tim Burton" I reply no longer amazed that unless it is sports related Bill wouldn't have a clue or care. Which was why other than sharing a beer we had little in common, not unlike most the lunks in the hood as they called it.

"Oh yeah right Edward Scissors Hands, funny movie. No joke unless it is sports related I forget it instantly" repeats Bill slurs a bit confirming my suspicions as another swig is taken off the dark brown bottle. Funny movie? My eyes want roll back to the rear of my head and I have a slight shutter.

…The shade flips up and over slapping hard and loud against itself several times, I am mesmerized by the bright light that now pours into my bedroom. I continue to stare unable to turn away when I hear a soft and different hum coming from the light...no coming from room? Wait from inside my head? It sounds like a tune, like something playing on an AM radio you hear late, late at night. It's like a distant signal from a station long forgotten without the static yet familiar, delicate and melodic. I know this song somehow! If there is phenomenon like knowing a word and having be on the tip of your tongue, then this melody was on the cusp of my ear! I knew it, I know it... Then it started to change from an electric hum to a more organic...female hum...Hmmmm hmmm hmmm...
edit on 13-8-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
"What in the world is this?" Another thick muscle-bound neighbor interjects while cutting short his mid-afternoon jog. Wiping the sweat from his brow by using the bottom of his running shirt, while looking around with what I can only describe as bit of awe. I swear though he does that towel off move with the shirt bottom ever time I see him only to show off his six pack abs to any lookers.

"Oh hey Joey, yeah just watchin Drew here tryin to be a Mr. Scissors Hands" Bill says trying to be clever, as he looks back down at his own ever growing beer gut.

"Edward Scissorhands" I repeat ignoring the Drew. Are these guys really that dense? I wondered as I start cutting into yet another shrub, a Russian sage humming with a few bees gathering nectar from the tiny lavender flowers. I fade into the hum and the buzzing of bees.

…Her voice is a buzzing hum for a second or two it reminds me of hive or the sound of a multitude of bees, but instead of fear I am comforted by the sound. It penetrates my body, I feel it's tingle inside of me rising up through my spine. A feeling of bliss, of homecoming and healing surrounds me as my shoulders drop in a submission to the throbbing hum criss-crossing through my chest. Inexplicably an aroma of honey mixed with vanilla and a touch of lavender permeates the room, it is soft, sweet and thoroughly intoxicating. I inhale deeply almost sighing, letting the fragrance entrance my mind...

"Your gonna have the whole neighborhood out here soon Drew" Bill chuckles with his contraction of my name gratingly bringing me back. The fact that I actually detested it and have told him ever since I moved in to many years ago seems to slip his mind.

"I don't give a rat’s ass Bill" I say calmly "And it's Andrew not Drew" I calmly remind him, but with a little more verve.

"Ok Annn…Drew" Bill says with sarcastic emphasis and a pffff "Sheesh you need to chill out, get that air conditioner fixed, ya hot head, Its no wonder your still single, your lossin it man…"

…Beads of sweat pool across my forehead, suddenly my room is filled with ethereal light and it heats up like a sauna. My breath is heavy and full, I feel like I could drown but I seem to have no fear. I am now dripping, like in a fever dream, I peel off my soaked shorts and night shirt. Though it is middle of summer a misty steam gently drifts off my body like a nice hot meal on crisp winters day as my body glistens in the light. My mind reels at the surreal events unfolding before my eyes am I going crazy?…

"Well it looks pretty crazy, my wife would never let me do something wild like this, she would be all "What would the neighbors think?" and scream until I cut it normally" Joe says as he pops his earbuds back in, then shakes his head as Bill gives him a #ty grin and a shrug "At least your getting a good workout" and with that starts back into his own obsessive routine of body management.

…Then she is in the room with me…the universe stands still.

She is as naked as I am now but amazingly more dignified before me. Her skin a pale but lovely bluish green she reaches out her hand to me beckoning me toward her. I have never seen such beauty all of her seems mathematically proportioned in perfection. I move as if in slow motion staring at her ever shimmering color changing hair as it floats gently with unseen wind, in an appearance as though we are underwater…

Bill chugs the last of his beer and starts too look impatient, but I have no more conversation or at least he has no intelligent conversation to start into with me. He pretends to look interested at the creations I have made but looks more disdained.

I lift the ladder over my head and begin work on the white pine, my muscles tense and taught from the day’s work, the trimmers weight pushes against my will and I push back.

…Gravity itself has decided that this rendezvous should be timeless and has defiantly weighted the situation. The only vague experience I have to compare it with would be if I were in the deep sea struggling to move against the mass of an ocean. Her outstretched finger is just about to contact mine as a shimmer of liquid light streaks across from her form onto my body, enveloping me.

And like a crashing electric wave we touch…

Not sure what to do next Bill gazes once more over my yard creations and wanders back to his own suburban castle in search of another cold one. I never found it easy to fit in around here and due to the current events I am finding less and less desire to connect with these people.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
…Our minds connect as we stand and gaze into each other’s eyes. Her's are a color of blue so piercing its as if ice had caught fire and in her eyes were the warm embers which at any moment could flame fiercely. There is a familiarity here staring at her, one I feel like I have known as impossible as it may seem for centuries. I knew her, I know her. And then there is no sound but the beating of my heart and my heavy breath. Her lips touch mine and we make love…

"Edward Scissorhands!!!" I yell loud enough most of the block could hear if they weren't trapped in their own little life bubbles as Bill's garage door slowly shuts him off from the world.

Grabbing the hedge clippers I start to snip back the wisteria. My hands are moving more swiftly and smoothly working like a skilled potter, a carver or sculptor, shaping, forming and creating a tight spiral pattern.

…Waves of ecstasy crash over me, onto me, through me and into me, has any man felt like this? For this long? Although my mind is racing I barely have time to ponder it. Suddenly without warning I feel like I am falling, crashing! You know that feeling you get on roller coaster as you go over the peak, but imagine it without the coaster, like stepping out onto the wing of plane without a parachute…It is as though I am becoming something more! I am no longer falling but floating, I feel as though I might rupture, like a huge wave about to crest until finally…

It is almost as though Wisteria is telling me that she wishes to look like a galaxy imprinted on the wall of my house. That she needs to be clipped here, snipped there, little pruning and properly positioned like a ballet dancer and her partner. The perfect spiral forms out nature and imitating nature, twisting tighter, tighter and infinitely tighter.

…With loud thunder the Air conditioner explodes violently in shower of sparks and shards of metal, shattering the window of my bedroom. The room is now dark and empty except for me...

The wisteria now cleared and looking dynamic I take stock in my insane handiwork as it occurs to me I really had never trimmed artistically before I was not even sure I knew how. And yet there was the evidence of my doings...but were they mine? I feel a sense of accomplishment previously unknown to me.

It was nearing 6 p.m. and I had been working since sun up, but it had seemed like I started only a few minutes ago. This wasn't one of those "Funny how time flies..." moments; I was strangely oblivious to the day’s work. I mean I remember doing it, but in a dream-like less than lucid state as my movements didn’t quiet feel my own. My body and hands now aching felt almost guided, not in creepy puppet sort of way but in a rhythm the conductor uses to move an orchestra.

I look back over the yard and a large smile purses my lips, I hope the message was received…

Suddenly I feel a heatwave wash over me, my head goes dizzy my stomach loose. I can see and understand all the patterns I created today. I look over at a thermometer that is ready to burst, puzzled at how it could be getting hotter now. I can feel the heat rising all over me even as the sun is now setting...And as the world starts to go black, I can hear her, and only see that soft bright light, I know she is coming again.

Whatever I have done, It was all for Her...

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

That was good friend

I enjoyed it

Good luck!

ETA~~ I just wanted to tell you that you describe very well. I felt hot reading it and the description and the alien gal was really nice she sounded absolutely beautiful
I want to know more about her!!
I think you really did a nice job on this. I try to write short stories and I have written one but it's way against t&c's so...I'll keep it to myself
hah!

And also you shouldn't be horrified!
edit on 13-8-2013 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by natalia

That was good friend

I enjoyed it

Good luck!

YAY! Thank you so much Nat! I hope you enjoyed it and are staying out of the heat!

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by natalia

That was good friend

I enjoyed it

Good luck!

ETA~~ I just wanted to tell you that you describe very well. I felt hot reading it and the description and the alien gal was really nice she sounded absolutely beautiful
I want to know more about her!!
I think you really did a nice job on this. I try to write short stories and I have written one but it's way against t&c's so...I'll keep it to myself
hah!

And also you shouldn't be horrified!
edit on 13-8-2013 by natalia because: (no reason given)

LOL you changed your reply. Again thanks! Oh and I wanted to keep her a bit of mystery...I hope I didn't violate the t&c's.

You could share your story with me

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Loved it, my friend!!!!! Great story and wonderful imagery!

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Pretty racy there, but a great story.

Got my SnF.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thank you! One of my first attempts at fiction although being on ATS too long makes me wonder if it isn't all fiction! LOL

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

Pretty racy there, but a great story.

Got my SnF.

I tried to keep it at least PG-13 LOL

Thank you and I am glad you liked it!

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Very nice story. I liked it a lot!

Good first story!

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh
Very nice story. I liked it a lot!

Good first story!

Thank you. This is first time other then when I do some sort of brief story to some artwork I purposefully wrote a story.

top topics

join