It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living in America will drive you insane — literally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Article...

In “The Epidemic of Mental Illness: Why?” (New York Review of Books, 2011), Marcia Angell, former editor-in-chief of the New England Journal of Medicine, discusses over-diagnosis of psychiatric disorders, pathologizing of normal behaviors, Big Pharma corruption of psychiatry, and the adverse effects of psychiatric medications. While diagnostic expansionism and Big Pharma certainly deserve a large share of the blame for this epidemic, there is another reason.

A June 2013 Gallup poll revealed that 70% of Americans hate their jobs or have “checked out” of them. Life may or may not suck any more than it did a generation ago, but our belief in “progress” has increased expectations that life should be more satisfying, resulting in mass disappointment. For many of us, society has become increasingly alienating, isolating and insane, and earning a buck means more degrees, compliance, ass-kissing, #-eating, and inauthenticity. So, we want to rebel. However, many of us feel hopeless about the possibility of either our own escape from societal oppression or that political activism can create societal change. So, many of us, especially young Americans, rebel by what is commonly called mental illness.

While historically some Americans have consciously faked mental illness to rebel from oppressive societal demands (e.g., a young Malcolm X acted crazy to successfully avoid military service), today, the vast majority of Americans who are diagnosed and treated for mental illness are in no way proud malingerers in the fashion of Malcolm X. Many of us, sadly, are ashamed of our inefficiency and nonproductivity and desperately try to fit in. However, try as we might to pay attention, adapt, adjust, and comply with our alienating jobs, boring schools, and sterile society, our humanity gets in the way, and we become anxious, depressed and dysfunctional.

Ok, so we already know big pharma has and is currently destroying the medical industry. 70% of Americans hate their jobs, wow? I'm wondering if thats because of the current paradigm where we are promised everything in return for 20 years of education slavery, or is it because of the corporate culture being fostered where the only thing that matters is numbers and the people who work for you are nothing but numbers? I think its both.

In 2011, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that antidepressant use in the United States has increased nearly 400% in the last two decades, making antidepressants the most frequently used class of medications by Americans ages 18-44 years. By 2008, 23% of women ages 40–59 years were taking antidepressants.

No surprise hear... its really easy to get them and it really does help you get through your #ty work week. The work week also includes having to fit in with your peers as apart of the corporate climate, which sucks if you are an individual and creative *free* spirit on any level, and the fact that you know your just a piece of crap number to yourself and everyone around you. Sick isn't it.

Source

In the past 20 years, the US economy has grown nearly 60 percent. This huge increase in productivity is partly due to automation, the internet, and other improvements in efficiency. But it's also the result of Americans working harder—often without a big boost to their bottom lines. Oh, and meanwhile, corporate profits are up 20 percent. (

I think this also plays a roll. Yes we are slaves America, get your head out of the sand.

Source..

Corporate profits would also be in long term decline. I also contested the general work ethic in the US economy has declined over time at all levels of management as well as innovation and creation and this would also translate into deteriorating corporate profit growth. So I did the exact same thing below as I did above. I took REAL non-financial corporate profits over time and averaged their growth rates on a "generational" basis (20 year span). Of course I was completely wrong. Corporate profit growth had never been higher than in the past 20 years.

More support for my theory that the problem with America is big business. Our culture is a reflection of how we run our business and right now it is crap. People are doing whatever it takes to fit in and get ahead in the current job climate and its forcing everyone into debt slavery, social slavery, educational slavery. Its all the same. These corporations want us to be perfect little workers. This is where we have lost our creative power, our political power and our spiritual power. Get it together.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
So everyone outside of US is SANE? Very interesting.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Yes, exactly what were getting at.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by hp1229

Yes, exactly what were getting at.
I was being sarcastic
So how do you justify the millions pouring into the country every year (leagally/illegally) ?

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Yeah well funny thing is those are “corporate” web sites.

No surprise hear... its really easy to get them and it really does help you get through your #ty work week. The work week also includes having to fit in with your peers as apart of the corporate climate, which sucks if you are an individual and creative *free* spirit on any level, and the fact that you know your just a piece of crap number to yourself and everyone around you. Sick isn't it.

Hear?
The interesting thing is no one comes and asks people to be part of it. I have never been part of it and not for any particular reason.

Sure you can be an individual and creative *free* spirit. Probably end up broke and alone but the option is always available.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

the madness is taking over..

edit on 13-8-2013 by th3onetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by th3onetruth

LOL.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

join