It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should You Be Able to Buy Food Directly From Farmers? The Government Doesn’t Think So

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Basically, most of the government regulatory crap developed in the last 70-80 years, exactly when industrialized agriculture took over. Why? Because industrial agriculture can not and will not pay enough attention or take enough care to make sure that food is safe. So problems developed. As soon as they did, regulatory boards developed, and as soon as they did, band aids were dolled out all over the place for the food system.

Case in point: salmonella in eggs. Eggs with salmonella did NOT become a common thing until industrial egg production. In the last 30 years, ALL cases of salmonella in eggs were from industrial egg production plants, with ONE case being from organic eggs. Salmonella in chickens and in eggs means they are not being taken care of properly. Rather than address that, the industry simply puts a band aid on it - antibiotics. Then they do things like insist that everyone do this because "this is the way", when in fact, organic eggs are produced by chickens that ARE taken care of and not produced in mass, factory like conditions.

Pasteurizing of milk: Thousands of years of drinking raw milk and suddenly in the last 50 years, the idea is thought of as "irresponsible" and dangerous. Again, major food poisoning from milk only happens to poorly taken care of cows. Again, instead of bothering to fix this, they just heat the milk up, killing all bacteria. The problem with this is that raw milk is the BEST pro-biotic you can get - and now it's just empty calories. We have a rash of "lactose intolerance". The sad truth is that lactose does not get destroyed by pasteurization, whereas lactase, its sister enzyme does. What does lactase do? It digests lactose. Lactose intolerant people are fine drinking raw milk, a fact proven before.

So really it's a case of, "we're producing crap food." "Okay, then let's make it even worse by making it essentially worthless." "Oh, and let's make everybody else do it too, and pay us for it."

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
UPDATE

FDA Finally Admits Chicken Meat Contains Cancer-Causing Arsenic

After years of sweeping the issue under the rug and hoping no one would notice, the FDA has now finally admitted that chicken meat sold in the USA contains arsenic, a cancer-causing toxic chemical that's fatal in high doses. But the real story is where this arsenic comes from: It's added to the chicken feed on purpose!

Even worse, the FDA says its own research shows that the arsenic added to the chicken feed ends up in the chicken meat where it is consumed by humans. So for the last sixty years, American consumers who eat conventional chicken have been swallowing arsenic, a known cancer-causing chemical. But even as its arsenic-containing product is pulled off the shelves, the FDA continues its campaign of denial, claiming arsenic in chickens is at such a low level that it's still safe to eat. This is even as the FDA says arsenic is a carcinogen, meaning it increases the risk of cancer.

I add this story to this thread because some members will say that if something isn't FDA approved it is dangerous. I would argue that a private small organic local farmer is much more reliable than anything with an FDA sticker on it.

What's astonishing about all this is that the FDA tells consumers it's safe to eat cancer-causing arsenic but it's dangerous to drink elderberry juice! The FDA recently conducted an armed raid in an elderberry juice manufacturer, accusing it of the “crime” of selling “unapproved drugs.” (www.naturalnews.com...…) Which drugs would those be? The elderberry juice, explains the FDA. You see, the elderberry juice magically becomes a “drugs” if you tell people how it can help support good health.

The FDA has also gone after dozens of other companies for selling natural herbal products or nutritional products that enhance and support health. Plus, it's waging a war on raw milk which it says is dangerous. So now in America, we have a food and drug regulatory agency that says it's okay to eat arsenic, but dangerous to drink elderberry juice or raw milk.

I just read about the chicken and elderberry juice crack down so I added it here instead of a new thread.

edit on 14-8-2013 by Carreau because: sp

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

That is some damn good info.

You know what the tells me?

It is ALL About the Money.

They have elderberries down the road too. I think I might get some tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

I forgot to mention predators which metro-sexuals think are so wonderful that ranchers shouldn't mind feeding them. They have put a lot of people out of business because each one eats about a chicken per day; a pack eats a ewe per day. You can't shoot, trap, or poison a lot of them. I used to let 300 chickens roam and they produced dozens of cartons per day. Then metro-sexuals began buying lots and moving in who demanded I stop shooting predators. Now I keep a dozen hens in a pen for myself. When a coyote eats a lamb, it leaves only the grass filled stomach. They bite the ewes neck, take her down and eat her alive. Most predators just eat the choice parts and kill several animals per night. I could sell for half the price if I could kill filthy predators as needed. Do metro-sexuals tolerate predators eating their pets and sometimes children.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I used to stop and buy produce out the back of farmers trucks all the time. Get lots for a good deal and it's good food. They get shut down and fined now. All kinds of produce, mushrooms, crab, oysters, salmon, all drove into to town from the coast that day. Just can't buy good food off the side of the road these days. lol

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I live in a remote rural farming community. Needless to say the food here comes directly from the farmers or your garden, without government interference.

Since living here I have never heard of any health problem with the locally grown produce.

The only time I have heard stories of issues with food is when someone doesn't know how to properly identify the mushrooms in the forest and goes on a bad, unwanted trip.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by teamcommander

Being a self styled home chef I can tell you that I hate cooking or even reheating any food in a microwave... but as far as veggies are concerned microwaves are the best way to cook food if you want the most nutritional content from them. Knowing this, I still rarely cook food in the microwave.... just sayin,

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Of course not! You do not buy fresh food from the farmer! You buy Aspartame and GMO so you die young of cancer. It's how population control works, duh!

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I am sort of torn on the issue. Granted markets are great however I have traveled the world to an extent and have gotten sick more than a few times. I have no problem with vegetables and fruits being sold that way but I enjoy the luxury of knowing beef, fish, and poultry isn’t going to ruin my week because it wasn’t properly refrigerated.

Below is a pick of one of the better markets I visit pretty much every year. You can find anything there but it is buyer beware. I do see both sides though because I often buy sea food at the docks here in the states. I believe there should be some limits but I am not comfortable trying to say what they should be.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The Government is run by Big Multinational Corporations and Big Wall Street Banks.
Do people realize how many billions of dollars in revenue would be lost if everyone went direct to the farmers for their food? There are bean counters in these big corporations that know this.

How is Wall Street and Big Ag supposed to get their cut if people here and there go direct to the source?
That adds up and they and their government cronies are all for nipping that in the bud.

The lies that this is all for food safety is propaganda though.
I knew a rancher that said he had a lot of diseased cattle to get rid of, and McDonalds had no problem taking it off their hands.

They import a lot of our food from third world countries where they crap on their food, since they have nowhere else to go. Then, they export that same food grown in this country, to other countries so that they have a stranglehold on the people and markets.

There are many instances of Big Ag poisoning, much less protecting us, so the propaganda is not working.

And Finally, there are many countries that are more free than we are here when it comes to being able to buy food where ever you want and there has been no plague or end of man so far in thousands of years.
edit on 17-8-2013 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
More good reasons to grow your own.

I just doubled the size of my garden for fall.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
If someone wants to sell food to just anybody, then let them get a license and have inspections. Otherwise, sell it at auction and let the other people with licenses and retail outlets sell it to the public. Anyway, I'm sure there are legal ways for the farmer to make private deals through barter or gifting, etc. to circumvent the inspections and license fees.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

Who's licenses and who licenses? You give way too much power to the growers. Think before you type ?

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

The growers could get licensed to sell retail and have inspected food products. Otherwise, they could sell livestock and produce at the auctions. Re-read my last post, I thought I was pretty clear on that. A farmer could even create his own corporation to sell his products. The horror of all that red tape and hoops to jump though!

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Meanwhile....an organic farm has been raided by a SWAT team....for "marijuana", but they only managed to find and destroyed "17 blackberry bushes, 15 okra plants, 14 tomatillo plants, numerous native grasses and sunflowers" instead. The finest forces and brains at work.

The entire operation lasted about 10 hours and involved many dozens of city officials, SWAT team, police officers and code compliance employees, and numerous official vehicles including dozens of police cars and several specialized vehiculas that were involved in the “abatement” operation. Witnesses say that there were helicopters and unmanned flying drones circling the property in the days prior to the raid that are presumed to have been a part of the intelligence gathering. The combined expenses for the raid itself and the collection of information leading up to the fruitless raid are estimated in the tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars.

Link

But oh, of course they couldn't leave empty handed....

Many trailer loads of valuable materials and items were taken from the land. This included 55 gallon barrels which are used for rain water collection, animal water feed tanks, aquaponics systems, and many other uses, glass doors which are used for green house purposes and solar dehydrator and solar water heating apparatuses, two refrigerators which are were to be used for solar hot air collectors to heat buildings without electric or gas heat and had also been used for other sustainable realities, and lots of wood for building builsings, tables, benches and chairs for the new commons room to be built. Multiple axles to be used to make a home made trailer were taken, as were other valuable items documented in an AFFIDAVIT OF DAMAGES.

edit on 18-8-2013 by Kurius because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join