It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious people are less intelligent than non-believers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire
The only correlation I've been able to come up with to explain 'intelligence' is the trait of curiosity.

While there are many highly educated people that may be curious about certain subjects and still maintain a corraled-off area of their brain that is religious, I think with many it's simply a fealty to family beliefs and traditions. I think you'd be hard put to find a scientist or other highly educated person who thought prayer was really going to work in any given situation, any more than a rabbit's foot is good luck or sending a list to Santa Claus will get you what you want for Christmas.

I haven't found that religious people have much curiosity about the world at all; they seem satisfied with being told what to 'believe' by others and seem uninterested in questioning those early trainings.

Every single child of a "religious" family that I have EVER MET has rebelled against their "early trainings".

You speak of what you do not have a clue, neither have you experienced at all.

Now, the children of a Spirit-led family, these form greater bonds, develop massive amounts of intelligence, and rule half of what you use in your daily life.

Who are you guys basing your supposed ideas upon? Your own misguided and desired perception, or by experiencing reality?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Source

Religious people are less intelligent than non-believers, according to a new review of 63 scientific studies stretching back over decades.

A team led by Miron Zuckerman of the University of Rochester found “a reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity” in 53 out of 63 studies. Even in extreme old age, intelligent people are less likely to believe, the researchers found - and the reasons why people with high IQs shun religion may not be as simple as previously thought.

Previous studies have tended to assume that intelligent people simply “know better”, the researchers write - but the reasons may be more complex.

For instance, intelligent people are more likely to be married, and more likely to be successful in life - and this may mean they “need” religion less.

The studies used in Zuckerman's paper included a life-long analysis of the beliefs of a group of 1,500 gifted children - those with IQs over 135 - in a study which began in 1921 and continues today.

First and foremost, this is not my opinion, this is an article that has basis in scientific studies.

Secondly, as an atheist, I am not to sure how to take this article.

The term 'intelligence' is quite a subjective word. Atheists could be more open minded to learning new things and much more open to subjects as they do not contradict the 'words' of their God.

Also, I know plenty of religious people that can hold their own in in depth conversations about scientific subjects. I think the science completely contradicts the religion they believe in, and I believe religion is a way of explaining the world before we had science, but, hey, to each their own.

Anyway I thought I would bring it here just for the discussion aspect of the subject...

Any thoughts?

Pred...
edit on 12-8-2013 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

I agree with your assessment, that intelligence as a word is too loaded. For me in this case, too subjective a term to apply unilaterally. I am in the 98th percentile, and the smartest thing I ever did with that awareness was to distance myself from people and groups who perceived and defined intelligence solely on that scorecard basis. I undertook the same process of quietly walking away when faced with religions demands of surrendering reason. I saw no need to, my faith did not require it, yet they did..so I left.

I see the authors making a similar attribution error, defining intelligence based on an exclusive definition/comprehension when what they could be observing, is a socioeconomic bias or a simple left/right brain predominance issue rather than intelligence itself - which I don't think can be quantified so simply.

I have read reports of studies that state religious/spiritual people are " more likely" to be predominantly left brained ( focused on the right side) while atheists predominantly right brained (focused on the left), which is a fine thing to observe and is consistent with what we know of neurobiology, though I know from personal experience, that for any number of reasons, in the blink of an eye that predominance can change. So to call those observations a fact or to build a policy on them, would be specious reasoning to me.

And there is the question of emotional intelligence, tacit and non tacit intelligence, the differences in nature between intelligence of the brain and that of the mind and consciousness, independent factors barely studied at all yet outside of psychology, and so rarely included let alone covered in studies like this one.
The evolution of intelligence itself within mind and body and as intelligence relates to consciousness itself outside of nominal human maturation, isn't explored here either.

To me its not an either or as it is in this article. If we were to look at intelligence from another definition, a more arbitrary one, they might have had more digestible results.

Personally, I found the journey of this woman quite insightful as far as the interaction of left/right brain intelligences go. Dr Jill: mystrokeofinsight.com...

Interesting read ty

edit on 12-8-2013 by Rosha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The title of your post is based on a false premise. I am a believer in Jesus Christ, however I am not religious, and neither was Jesus. The Pharisees were religious and Jesus despised everything about them. As far as intelligence goes... that is a pretty general statement, unless of course EVERYONE one Earth was tested, which I know they weren't. Besides, as a believer, I certainly admit that there are plenty of non-believers who are much more intelligent than I am. I'm sure they are much better at math and physics, et al... but on judgement day when they stand before God and it is determined that their name is not written in the book of life their intelligence will be irrelevant and inconsequential.
edit on 12-8-2013 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This would probably be a correlation between intelligence and atheism, although I imagine Eastern religions would not be included, and I imagine that protestants would fare worse than Catholics and Episcopalians.

Since this is simply a correlation, it would not apply to all religious people, or all atheists, but general tendencies - in effect, the bell curve for intelligence would be centered on a different IQ number.

I could see one reason behind this being that religious people do not have to think about cause-and-effect in their moral decision-making.
edit on 12-8-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Personally, was an Atheist/Agnostic through my college days, didn't become a Theist because it was "smart" became a theist because of personal life events that sure could of been random chance.

Hell the smart thing probably would be to write it off to random chance, it was harder for me to admit otherwise.

Also was "gifted" through k-12, honors, whole nine yards. Plus 130+ iq, used to be in MENSA but let the membership lapse.

Survived a stroke at 26 that I shouldn't of, Maybe that made me dumb enough to accept a Theist world view.
edit on 12-8-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I think there is a huge difference between religious people affected by social pressure to be less intelligent and theists that you mention. I completely respect your opinion and your stance and in some cases, theists have been extremely intelligent individuals, more intelligent than atheists.

There is kind of this... area at the bottom where people are not aware of factual information, and when they try to get some from experience or research, are attacked by their peers. Then there is a bit higher up, where the atheists tend to be,

And then a bit higher up there are people that see the flaws in Atheism, to be honest, the people I have met in this category can have IQ's above 150. One has an IQ of 200. At least in the present day, there is a spiritual movement that is more Eastern influenced that is attracting a lot of the most intelligent people.
edit on 12-8-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Anyone been through the Bible Belt recently?

I know a guy who went to med school who was very religious, so obviously the blanket statement in the title isn't quite right. At each end of the spectrum you find "stupid" people.

Personally, from my experience it is the fundamentalist Christians who seem the least intelligent. Perhaps this is because they tend to concentrate in low-income areas where the education system is sorely lacking. I also find these people to be very closed minded to anything that isn't either preached at the sermon or in their "good book".

IMO, a sign of intelligence is the ability to entertain an idea they disagree with. Now, I will admit you do see those militant atheist types who call baloney on anything in the Bible -- but usually they'll admit that there is some historical value to it.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The REASON they are less intelligent than non-believers is because religion is actually the most powerful type of mind control there is...

"Every major religion in the world has been manufactured or infiltrated by the Illuminati to enslave and brainwash society. In essence, religion was the first form of mind control." Link

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Define "religious". Define "intelligent". Define "atheist". This study is loaded with subjective terms and doesn't mean anything...

Other than to insinuate that if you don't buy into the scientific paradigm you're stupid. "Religious people are stupid" is what the title should be. That's all they really want to say in the first place.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
They may be intelligent but I wish they would mind their own business and quit knocking on my door. I don't want to talk about Jesus and I don't want those magazines.

I think smart people would realize that proselytizing and trying to force their religion down other peoples throat is...

STUPID

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
They may be intelligent but I wish they would mind their own business and quit knocking on my door. I don't want to talk about Jesus and I don't want those magazines.

I think smart people would realize that proselytizing and trying to force their religion down other peoples throat is...

STUPID

Relax.

New people are born everyday. Never been into marketing, have you?

New people are born everyday and subjected to the same and sometimes new manipulations everyday.

Until new people stop being born, then new people will not stop repeating the same mistakes as those that came before them.

New people will knock on your door. IT doesn't make them bad. They're doing what they believe at the moment is good for their spiritual growth. And it IS good to be rejected harshly by so many people; because knocking on doors does NOT gain church goers, but it sure teaches the those that are new in their respective faiths that it's not easy being green, and that's the real point. It's not about your experience at that point, it's about theirs; but neither of you know that, do you?

Now you have witnessed a couple of those that have properly evangelized, and still yet, you have refused to hear. If you had heard, you would have humility, respect, and sorrow for those that feel they must go knocking door to door to suffer the curses of their fellow cold-hearted brothers and sisters in humanity.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

Originally posted by olaru12

STUPID

Relax.

New people are born everyday. Never been into marketing, have you?

New people are born everyday and subjected to the same and sometimes new manipulations everyday.

Until new people stop being born, then new people will not stop repeating the same mistakes as those that came before them.

New people will knock on your door. IT doesn't make them bad. They're doing what they believe at the moment is good for their spiritual growth. And it IS good to be rejected harshly by so many people; because knocking on doors does NOT gain church goers, but it sure teaches the those that are new in their respective faiths that it's not easy being green, and that's the real point. It's not about your experience at that point, it's about theirs; but neither of you know that, do you?

Now you have witnessed a couple of those that have properly evangelized, and still yet, you have refused to hear. If you had heard, you would have humility, respect, and sorrow for those that feel they must go knocking door to door to suffer the curses of their fellow cold-hearted brothers and sisters in humanity.

What is it about "mind your own business" you can't understand?? Do you want me to come bothering you when I haven't been invited.... to talk to you about something you don't care about?
edit on 12-8-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

It's a part of life.

Get over it and stop crying like a baby.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

reply to post by olaru12

It's a part of life.

Get over it and stop crying like a baby.

That little comment convinced me that the OP was spot on....

Religious people are less intelligent than non-believers,

btw, I'm Jewish but not what your would call religious.
edit on 12-8-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

You cannot be jewish and be non-religious. There is no nation of jews. There are Israelites from the modern country of Israel. But Jews are jews religiously. So therefore, you're not a jew, anymore than someone who claims to be Christian is a Christian.

At that, Jews today aren't even Jews, they're not obeying the full works of the law under which they continue to submit themselves. So they are not Jews which call themselves Jews, but they do lie.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Obviously religious people tend to be less intelligent.

I think the funny thing is that the non-scientific beliefs expressed by many on this board are essentially religions, whether they be about UFO'S or whatever. You have to be gullible to believe any of this #, and religion is no different. No surprise that most reactions are anti-OP.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
Anyone been through the Bible Belt recently?

I find it amazing how much it mirrors the Political Belt!

Ro

edit on 12-8-2013 by Rosha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Matthew 18

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

reply to post by olaru12

You cannot be jewish and be non-religious. There is no nation of jews. There are Israelites from the modern country of Israel. But Jews are jews religiously. So therefore, you're not a jew, anymore than someone who claims to be Christian is a Christian.

At that, Jews today aren't even Jews, they're not obeying the full works of the law under which they continue to submit themselves. So they are not Jews which call themselves Jews, but they do lie.

Interjecting..

Yes you can. To be Jewish is to be of the tribe of Judah...a cultural and familiaral association first and foremost.
To be a practitioner of the religion of the tribe of Judah is a separate thing and a personal choice just as the level of participation is. Not every one in the tribe of Judah goes to Temple...but they are still of the tribe.

Ro

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rosha

reply to post by olaru12

Interjecting..

Yes you can. To be Jewish is to be of the tribe of Judah...a cultural and familiaral association first and foremost.
To be a practitioner of the religion of the tribe of Judah is a separate thing and a personal choice just as the level of participation is. Not every one in the tribe of Judah goes to Temple...but they are still of the tribe.

Ro

Wrong.

And the perfect Jew, Jesus Christ, speaks against you.

A Jew is not he who is circumcised in the flesh, but a Jew is he who is circumcised in the heart. The gentiles were grafted into the tree of the Jews. That tree is rooted in Jesus Christ, the one for whom they await, and yet He has already come.

The real Jews, the real children of Israel, are the children of God, those who were first called Christians at Antioch, the Spirit-led believers in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Once again, another who speaks of that which they know nothing about, and also have never experienced. Experience is the key to understanding, for knowledge that is not manifested in experience is incomplete.

Which do you prefer? If you are injured and require surgery, would you prefer the man whose pastime was to read up on anatomy and surgery, or would you prefer the man whose career and experience was based in anatomy and surgery?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join