It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you really need to do when your facing eminent danger???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I'm gonna give you a scenario that you have to work within and tell me what you'd do.....

You're flying in a plane over the ocean. It's starts having engine trouble. But you're able to land it on the water. And amazingly you just have time to deploy a life-raft.

You only have seconds to get into the liferaft. Your plane sinks and you're in the raft but you have no emergency beacon. And you're adrift, by some miricle you end up on a small deserted island.

You scout around and wait for rescue but it doesn't come. After a few weeks you realize you're screwed. You realize you have no chance of rescue. So you try and keep busy by finding food, water, building a shelter etc etc.

Now a few months go by. You've managed to scrap out a living on the island. But you think to yourself how you felt like you still had you're whole life ahead of you. Like you're a younger adult still. You had a skills, a business, family, basically your whole life ahead of you. And you had all kinds of big dreams too.

But now you're stuck on this island, it seems like your big dreams back home are pretty much over with. You haven't seen an ship or plane since you got there. And even if they did fly by you realize they'd never spot you.

Another year goes by. You've built a small home on the island. Managed to plant some crop. You hunt, trap, and scavage for food. You have some little projects to keep you busy. But you're all alone and it's not only lonely and miserable but soon you realize that it's almost driving you a bit mad, but you put up with it.

Another year goes by, and another. But you're able to build a dugout canoe that you use for fishing. You start to realize that if you work hard you might be able to build a much larger one, with a sail and you could sail your way off the island. But you realize you might so easily die at sea.

So you build the small sail boat. It seems to work okay, and so you realize you might have a chance.

So now you have a choice....

You can stay on the island, living alone, hoping maybe one day you'll get rescued, trying to survive. where you realize that if you broke your leg or you got bite by the wrong critter, or you got sick you'd have no way of helping yourself and you'd probably die. Or a variety of other things could happen on the island.

You realize you could die on the island, or you could die at sea. But at least at sea you have a chance. A small window of hope that you might be rescued or be able to sail back to the main land or someplace where you could get help.

The choice is yours.....

what do you do???? Like seriously you're facing EMINENT DEATH....how do you deal with that???

edit on 12-8-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
When head to head with danger, have a beer.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
You do what we're essentially doing right now and that's survive until you die.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Stock up on smoked fish and sun dried fruit, fresh water and build that catamaran as best I could, the sail would be the hard part but assuming there were fibrous leaves or bark then rope would be possible so a rudimentary sail would and I would rig up a triangular sail so I could use the wind with three ropes (to swing the sail left and right over a couple of capstans on booms at either side and raise and lower it) and a rudder to guide, Ah Hell I would go for it using the stars and sun for guidance but then I am part Maori, dried food, water, spare ropes as they would rot in the sea, spare sail's at least two and repair, a couple of paddles for those awkward moments and some bait and a line for fresh fish to supplement the fluid and meat (the inside of the fish including it's blood is drinkable though you would have to know it was not a poisonous variety).

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

S
T
O
P

Stop,think,observe and plan.

Don't panic.
Simple.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Wilson and I will be perfectly content on the island

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sharingan

Hey wait a minute I'm coming too. Let's see, what's not to like

- Nice private island pretty much to yourself.
- Food, water to live on.
- Built yourself a nice little house by the beach.
- Lounge in the sun or go fishing as much as you want.

Yep, sure want to get away from that. My biggest issue would be deciding whether or not I had really died in the plane crash and went to heaven or not.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I agree. May have to change the name to Wendy.

Hell you already got a house.... like that other movie with the teen girl a boy.

edit on 8-12-13 by Mugen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I have thought about this at length, even before you brought up the topic. I also have the same thing for a deep wilderness as well.

I thought how I would miss the life I had, but then I would also think how much simpler my life would become over time (Skills learned, and that sort). I might not even go back. I would be "institutionalized" so to speak.

I might not even be in my right mind to go back. Who knows. If I had to choose now? I would stay, because I wouldnt need to worry about bills and too much stress. As long as the fishing was good, and the hunting and having my own house and crops, then I would probably stay.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
imminent. the word is imminent

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
You do what we're essentially doing right now and that's survive until you die.

Do you stay on the island and survive or risk it and go journey on the flimbsy sail boat you made?????

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bassago

Hey wait a minute I'm coming too. Let's see, what's not to like

- Nice private island pretty much to yourself.
- Food, water to live on.
- Built yourself a nice little house by the beach.
- Lounge in the sun or go fishing as much as you want.

Yep, sure want to get away from that. My biggest issue would be deciding whether or not I had really died in the plane crash and went to heaven or not.

It would be tricky though as you'd have to figure out everything under the sun! Ahhh I dont' know.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Tylerdurden1

Ya maybe

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
imminent. the word is imminent

actually I invent my own words.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Actually, your building the flimsy boat may pose even more danger, vis a vis what you speak of pertaining to all the things that could happen to you on the island, with no medicinal help. On that boat, you'd be even more screwed.

But back to your original premise, in some ways, this seems like a dream to me, not a nightmare: a chance for knowing oneself and surviving on a very basic level that would provide incredible opportunities for self growth through self reliance....something we lack in this society we live in. But that's just my take on it.

I often think of this kind of scenario, actually, and what I would have the hardest time doing without.....that would be tabacco, as I am a smoker. But this kind of self reliance, IMHO, would be very good and advantageous for every person alive today, who are constantly checking their cellphones, or recording their favorite crime drama on television.

Again, just my take. I believe that when we separated ourselves through technology through natural existence with the planet, we did ourselves the worst kind of disservice.....

Great thread, OP.
Tetra50

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
First off, the crashing plane was "eminent death."
What you would need to do in that instance would be to control your bowels and bladder.

But as your long story winds on, we find that "eminent danger/death" is not at hand. Your real choice propose we make was a "this or that." And the answer would depend on a whole category of factors that you failed to provide.
Now, what was the real question? I forgot.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
thats a no brainer .. stay on the island .. better to die free than live as a slave in that cesspool people call "civilization" .

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

You had a skills, a business, family, basically your whole life ahead of you.

The answer is simple....first you try signal fires and large messages. If that doesn't work, you build a boat to reach another island, guessing where to head after loading up with supplies. The family back home is simply too important to just forget about. Anyone who answers differently must not have a family of their own. (in my humble opinion). Paradise is a prison without the ones you love.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
BEST...FILM...EVER!!!

Knowing me I'd probably die of starvation or dehydration on that island! Then again there were plenty of coconuts now weren't there? And I love coconuts! :-)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
i would stay on the island, to eventually age & possibly retire-die

but i would put a 'quarterboard sign' on that shelter i previously constructed...

it would proclaim to be be a offshore banking facility...

the lawyers would sniff you out for the ever needed tax-shelter needed to launder ill-gotten monies

why waste your energy drifting in currents & following the trade winds

top topics

<<   2 >>

join