It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina governor signs extensive Voter ID law

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by riiver
reply to post by xuenchen

Well, the license bureau told us they had to have her social security card, which is why I went to get the replacement card. However, the license offices are contracted out and not actually run by the state, so it could be that they're the ones who don't know their own rules, and I should probably go back and ask them why they tell me one thing and their website says another. Ty

I may have jumped the gun....

Another page says "proof" of SS number required for a lost, duplicate license.

Also says the regular renewal process is the same.

So maybe wait ?

But they also caution about ID theft and recommend a police report.

Maybe the police report is 'good enough'.

Catch22

Maybe ask a lawyer.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
This law has never been about having voter id or voter fraud.

The Republicans in NC did this to cut into the base of the Democratic Party.
edit on 12-8-2013 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

I still don't get it. Why are the legal democratic voters affected by having to show ID?
Are you saying more republicans have ID's than democrats?

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   

So great, lets make another trip to the DMV or give all my personal information over the Internet. I would have. But how many people do you think would just say f@$& it and not even bother?

edit on 13-8-2013 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LuckyLucian

Yeah... God forbid that the laws they enacted will help to ensure that the people who will actually vote may actually be better informed of who they are voting for.... instead of pushing a button and voting all republican or all democrat. Just because they have shortened the early voting guidelines doesn't mean that the dems will get less votes. I think that anyone who votes should have to show some sort of state ID before they even set foot inside the building..... The people who work these stations could care less if you are who you say you are. Hell, we even have people that have been dead for years voting.... and I would hazard a guess that they are even now.... still rolling in their graves at their choice in OBAMA.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

I hope every single state does the same! We NEED such laws, to prevent the sort of thing we saw all through the last "election". I haven't read every section, but from what I have read, the law looks good.

As far as those under 18 are concerned, perhaps not allowing them is related to possible/probable address changes, as they move from parental homes to college or their own place. If they did, dual registration, and thus, more chance for fraud, would be possible.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdyam

Yeah... God forbid that the laws they enacted will help to ensure that the people who will actually vote may actually be better informed of who they are voting for.... instead of pushing a button and voting all republican or all democrat. Just because they have shortened the early voting guidelines doesn't mean that the dems will get less votes. I think that anyone who votes should have to show some sort of state ID before they even set foot inside the building..... The people who work these stations could care less if you are who you say you are. Hell, we even have people that have been dead for years voting.... and I would hazard a guess that they are even now.... still rolling in their graves at their choice in OBAMA.

You aren't wrong! I was told by my ex (on good terms these days) that his dead mother "voted for Obama". She would NOT have been happy about that, I can assure you!

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
it is still unclear to me just what is the government issued photo ID

is it a State ID, drivers license... or a photo ID used for voting

if it is a State issued photo ID then i would be paying $15 to vote...as thats the cost of a SC ID issued by SC
(my current ID expires in 2016) so i will need to pay again & possibly every election cycle....paying to vote is a poll tax in my eyes

free IDs for everyone, even if they don't vote yet is a problematic solution (if a compulsory ID is needed in this fascist federal govt system)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Actually this laws will discriminate more against certain groups of the population, remember people this is after the Supreme court decision that will give the states power to enact their own laws without federal government to do as they wish with elections

While it sounds like a good idea, depending who is the party in charge and the majority passing the states laws it will target the opposing parities and most of the time certain groups of the population.

Discrimination is very alive in America even this modern days and now is to run rampant within states.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Actually this laws will discriminate more against certain groups of the population, remember people this is after the Supreme court decision that will give the states power to enact their own laws without federal government to do as they wish with elections

While it sounds like a good idea, depending who is the party in charge and the majority passing the states laws it will target the opposing parities and most of the time certain groups of the population.

Discrimination is very alive in America even this modern days and now is to run rampant within states.

Which group pf the population of legal citizens is not allowed to obtain identification? I must have missed those laws.....

This IS a good idea. The groups supposedly affected HAVE identification, in most cases. The very poor? If they are receiving food stamps, or any sort of welfare or disability, social security, etc., they MUST have proper ID to get those things. Thus, they aren't "disenfranchised" by such a law. Even total idiots can obtain identification. I KNOW. I have a relative who allowed his to expire, through gross negligence on his part, and flat out idiocy. He was still able to obtain replacements. He managed to lose those, too, and got more. Even HOMELESS, he was able to get ID. Free ID. I flat out refuse to believe that most people cannot obtain identification, if they are legal citizens. I have obtained, through ONLINE ordering, birth certificates for some of my children, when older copies were lost to a flood. Online. It would be a rare individual that could not get proper ID, if they are a legal citizen.

In the 2012 election, we saw rampant voter fraud, and it's probable that many cases weren't discovered. In all likelihood, the entire election was "won" by fraud. Showing identification, and having real controls on voting, is the ONLY way to help curb this. People voted several times, dead people "voted", machines were altered, and on and on. At least proper identification could stop some of this. We cannot have a free and honest election system if we cannot stop voter fraud.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Where have you been lately my friend, Americas voting system has not been honest and fear since the voting machines were invented.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Amazing, North Carolina residents have no possibility of having ID's, so anyone should be able to show up and vote.

YET, there are a number of states that have had voter ID laws in place for years ????
Hawaii for example, must be the democrats did it to keep the Republicans from voting !!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

So you are telling me poor people are to stupid to be able to get a licences. They need an I'd to get food stamps, so answer that!

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Where have you been lately my friend, Americas voting system has not been honest and fear since the voting machines were invented.

Oh, that I know! It's a lot worse now than it's been, though. That's how things usually work. Then, of course, we have the issue of money buying a place in the races, and candidates not really being chosen by the people.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Two (2) word...."Term Limits".

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion
Two (2) word...."Term Limits".

Term Limits mean zero.

'They' will just buy the primaries and new candidates.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

It was probably a poll worker that marked your name off by accident. And guess what, they don't count provisional ballots, not in my state.

Voter ID laws are meant to disenfranchise a segment of the population and generally those people vote democrat. It is the truth. The South is famous for voter intimidation.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by ANNED

Voter ID laws are meant to disenfranchise a segment of the population and generally those people vote democrat. It is the truth. The South is famous for voter intimidation.

and what do you call what the npp did up north?

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevilsLettuce

I believe you are wrong, at least in the state of NC. Gov. McCrory soundly defeated the incumbent during the elections..why would he suddenly enact a law that would take away his voters? And if he was practicing some sort of voter fraud why would he pass a bill to try and stop it?

edit on 12-8-2013 by DevilsLettuce because: said too much...

I'm from NC. No he did not beat the incumbent because former Gov. Beverly Purdue did not run for a 2nd term. Why? Dunno. Lots of speculation on the subject. I do know her 2008 campaign was/is under State and Federal investigation. McCrory beat the sitting LT. Gov. Walter Dalton.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap
reply to post by mikell

Do I need to tell you the story yet again, how my friend misplaced her driver's license and went to the Social Security office to get a social security card so she could get voter ID and replacement driver's license but the desk person at the Social Security office wouldn't even see her because she didn't have her driver's license even though she still had the ID required to get a replacement Social Security Card?
edit on 12-8-2013 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

Not sure which state your friend lived in at the time, I am from NC. I misplace my license once. I had a friend drive me to the DMV (because I didn't want to risk driving without the license). License picture is on computer and I didn't have any problem getting a duplicate. The trooper looked at me, looked at the picture and made the duplicate for me. As for the Social Security card issue, I went to the office, showed my license and they sent me a new card. Not sure what ID your friend had. If it wasn't a picture ID, they may not be willing to issue the card. What ID did your friend have that wasn't her license? I am unaware of any other ID in NC.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   

I'm still not sure how this particular law can be used 'against certain groups'. You do not have to get a drivers license per se. They allow people that do not drive to get an ID with picture that can be used as ... well used as an ID lol. I happen to currently know a 20 year old that can not drive but he has a 'picture ID' that was given for the express purpose of identification. It is not a drivers license but it is official and was made at the same location as drivers license. Go to the DMV, say you need an ID (not a drivers license) and they will take your picture and give you your picture ID. It isn't expensive, actually costing less than a drivers license. As some have mentioned, in order to get state or federal assistance, one must have an ID. These are the very same people that would be affected by voter ID because of discrimination? That really doesn't make sense.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join